Convention Cartoon

by freemindfade 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Personally, I like RSA style animation as a way of teaching.

There are some pretty amazing educational videos that use this technique (see below).

My gripe is not about the form or the format of the message, it's with the content and the manner of the message.

The WTBTS leadership treats its members like children that need to be told how to behave in public.

Let's review: It's a cult!

RSA Animate - Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us (Dan Pink)

RSA Animate - The Secret Powers of Time (Philip Zimbardo)

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

the leadership reduces them to childlike dependency

The WTBTS leadership treats its members like children that need to be told how to behave in public.
    Let's review: It's a cult!

It is one of the tactics of cults to make their followers childlike and dependent. Most of their published material is dumbed down, written at about a third grade level, but intended for adults. And it's often in a condescending voice telling the reader what to think, what to feel, and using lots of fallacies as though they're valid teaching. I suspect that the "simplified study edition" is just a smokescreen to make the regular edition seem "deeper and smarter". In reality, they only seem to switch the wording and vocabulary such that the two editions should really be differentiated as "dumb" and "dumber".

So I guess it shouldn't be a surprised that they're using cartoons like this for teaching adults. Rather than help these people become more responsible adults, indoctrinate them to be obedient children.

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

@Tempest In a Teacup I can tell by the facial features. It's not hard to distinguish

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Anytime that "rules of behavior" are put in place, a person knows that those 'rules' have already been broken.

It is why the 'rules' are being reinforced - because complaints have been made. Every rule that the WTS is emphasizing in their cartoon is the result of complaints received.

And yes, like other posters have mentioned, the cartoon has a '50s feel and look to them. Which goes right along with the resurrection of old marketing techniques that were successful back in the 30s and 40s and 50s. Today's ipads are yesterday's phonographs and today's jw..org broadcasts are yesterday's JW radio broadcasts. Today's Caleb and Sophie are yesterday's "Children of the King."

Wash, rinse, and repeat.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

This format is the GB's way of saying

We tell you this stuff every year and you still don't get it. Do we have to draw you dumb asses a picture!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

How condescending!!

Cult-like indeed! No normal person would sit through a presentation that treats them like idiots....

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Oubliette - "The WTBTS leadership treats its members like children that need to be told how to behave in public."

Well, considering how some of its members act in public... :smirk:

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Cult-like indeed! No normal person would sit through a presentation that treats them like idiots.."

Looking back, it was that very feeling, that I was being treated like an idiot, that got me investigating, and eventually led me here.

I said some years ago that those who remain JW's are either idiots, or wish to remain, either way, they are idiots.*

* Idiots in the sense of Dostoevsky's Novel, "The Idiot", i.e not really suited for this World, better off in a Sanitorium.

• humblepotato
    humblepotato

It went over surprisingly well at my hall. (But we are mid-westerners after all!) Nobody, that I know of, seemed embarrassed of it, or even offended by it. But now that I think of it... it IS really condescending! Teaching adults with cartoons? Really Watchtower?

I do wonder what is going through the minds of the older ones who survived the Fred Franz era as these videos and cartoons are being shown in the Kingdom Halls... hmmm.... In my old Hall, there are even ones who came into the truth during the Rutherford days...

This isn't your grandpa's religion!

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

..........and just in case you missed it, the cartoon will be shown again a week or so before your convention (if the elders remember)

SF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit