Why would anyone ask me to give a substitute talk

by sosoconfused 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

So last night we had the theocratic school. I recently stepped aside from being an elder and I have been mentally gone for awhile now.

No one has talked to me or my wife and kids and I have been very brief with everyone. Hwever, out of the blue lastnight during the theocratic school the School Overseers assistant came to me during the bible reading and asked me if I could give a last minute substitute talk...

What the hell was he thinking...

I graciously said, "Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure". When he got back up front and let the school overseer know I saw an instant nervous feeling overtake him. So during talk number 2 he comes back to me and says are you sure you can handle it? I said, "suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure."

All the while I was thinking you just screwed up buddy. I gave a 9 minute speech only using the bible talking about the importance of developing a relationship with our father and taking in accurate knowledge by means of an indepth study of the BIBLE.

At one point I wanted to really go left with it... Instead I flaked out. Maybe next time

• nolongerconfused
    nolongerconfused

you should change your screen name to somewhere similar to mine "no longer confused"....and get the heck out of there...although I'm sure you have very strong reasons to keep attending

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

SoSoConfused>>>>>lol Thanks for that. How you wrote, I could see it played out in my mind. Brilliant! That poor Assistant. I would like to be the fly on the wall to hear the balling out, he must have suffered after meeting . Funny, he called on you. It makes me think the assistant knew you to be a nice, warm hearted guy, that wouldn't turn him down, and Lord knows, he didn't want to be the one getting up to give the impromptu talk.

I loved what you did. lol lol Nine minutes you say! lol And only using your Bible. Hilarious!

Just Lois

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

@Lois - Thanks. I have to admit I care about alot of the people who actually stay in. I always tried my best to help people but I realized something very very scary that I am sure most of you already know. It is near impossible for a 3rd gen to leave because it will gravely affect those around you.

I dont care about not having friends and neither does my wife... my children are 8 and 5 and they really really really like it. My Brother and sister are both in and all of their kids. As witnesses we never associated with worldly family so my 40 plus cousins I onl know 2... my mother has been a pioneer for 42 years and my dad an elder for 38 and I know if they couldn't speak to me it would crush them.

Me on the other hand I can listen to this babble and leave and watch my movies and enjoy my life and not feel the least bit guilty. We still study only from the bible as a family so I don't mind still going.

The others I just hope they can understand they need to liberate their minds

• Ding
    Ding

How was your talk received at the hall?

• Think About It
    Think About It

Hang in there my man. Good job on keeping your wit about yourself during the sub talk.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

The funny thing is the friends actually enjoyed the talk although they did notice I purposely ignored the time.

One older brother about 70 years old said, it is so nice to actually see you use the bible. It reminds me of when we use to use the bible more.

THe bad thing is that the latest generation really feels no need to use the bible because they have millions of books to read.

It reminds me of my wife saying to me, "Why do we have 21 paragraphs to study at the watchtower but we only read 3 scriptures?" Touche'

• blondie
    blondie

Just trying to "encourage" you to get more involved; one less elder means more for the other elders to do, especially the school overseer.

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

SoConfused,

THe bad thing is that the latest generation really feels no need to use the bible because they have millions of books to read.

Now I'm not THAT old! When I was a teen in the 1970s the general rule was you had to look up at least one scripture. One time I threw together a last minute ladies talk without giving a rat's ass about what I was suppose to be working on and I did not mention one single scripture........you guessed it.... I was suppose to be working on the use of scripture. HaHa

Do they really not use the Bible at all anymore? Just their own publications? Good Grief... why is anyone still there yet?

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

They use the bible but genrally speaking in a 21 paragraph hour long study they read 3 scriptures and the funny thing is NOW IN THE WATCHTOWER. They label in bold what scriptures they want read to the congregation. It is very weird.

For instance it will say: blah blah blah. (Read Isaiah 31:4,5)

There just really is no emphasis on the fact that we should be using a bible as our main study material. It all seems like an afterthought

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit