Lost best friend...

by lostinnj83 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• lostinnj83
    lostinnj83

So I am not even out yet and I feel as though I have already lost my best friend.

I asked her if I could use her as a reference on an apartment rental if I decide to go the route of separation from my husband. She knows all of what I went through in my marriage and how much pain and suffering that I have endured.

At first she said yes, no problem, then she asked if I would be speaking to the elders about it, and I said no, she asked why not, I said that is my choice to do or not do.

Her response was that I pray and speak to the elders and that she thinks it best that I don't use her as a reference because she would feel that she was supporting my decision to separate. I said fine but I also said that her response seems to be more of a concern about me speaking to the elders rather than being concerned for my well being. She said that she only mentioned it because she doesn't want me to do anything to damage my spirituality and that our relationship with Jehovah is the most important thing but that she is not judging me.

It is absolutely a judgment, I can't see how someone that I have known for almost 20 years and viewed as a sister would tell me she wouldn't be a reference for me. And this is not someone who was a hard core JW. She has had her own issues with "the truth" and left for years and out of guilt and shame came back, so now she feels she has the authority to tell me what I should be doing with my life?? AND I haven't spoken to her about my "awakening"/doubts etc.

As far as I am concerned though our friendship is over, if thats the "righteous stand" she feels like she needed to take then our friendship can only go downhill at this point. It's hard for me to see how they can't see that the friendships that they offer are 100% conditional!!!

It saddens me so much to see someone who I thought had my back through thick and thin turn their back on me.

I am very disturbed.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

So sorry. I am afraid you have probably called it correctly about the way she will likely treat you from this point forward.

Be strong. You can do this. Be good to yourself.

Love,
    Baba.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

So sorry she cannot see through the cult-glasses to help you out...

Leaving a marriage sends off alarm bells in the eyes of almost all JWs...they just can't see it any other way.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

It hurts! When I left my husband I got a wide array of reactions. From "what took you so long" to immediate shunning

The one that hurt the most was like yours. I thought my best friend called and went off on how dissapointed she was at me and angry She knew my marriage was difficult but couldn't see any reason for me to leave. I was fighting depression and she pushed me right into it for a while. I got out and you too will find peace. Do what YOU need to do and try not to let what others think stop you.

Much love

FS

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

So what she is saying is that she doesn't want to look bad in the eyes of the Elders if it turns out they don't support your move .

I am so sorry she can not find her true self ,and support you as a real friend should . She is folding under pressure to conform to 'what will the Elders think ' ,instead of normal true friendship thinking that should be ,'How can I support and help my friend with her goals "

Very sorry . Can you use someone else for a reference maybe from work ?

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

LostInNJ83>>>>>Your friend sounds like she flip-flops as much as The Society ( tm ) does. lol Sad to face that reality though.

Good job, thinking of references! You'll think of someone else. The really good thing LostInNJ87, is you are thinking and making decisions and moving forward. Yay ! and 3 gold stars, because you are a good girl, and life sucks sometimes, and you are going through a lot!

Just Lois

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Brace yourself. Be prepared to see the shallow facade of "love" drop away. Mothers turn their backs on their own children. This is the evil the WT produces. The organization is fear based, shame based, and completley cut off from any Holy Spirit because they think the governing body is their mediator and men cannot be a mediator, so this means they remove themselve from any free gift of love or faith or access to God himself. They choose eight men in New York City as their God. The members of Jehovah's Wittenesses are spiritually dead people, wandering in a barren place. There was no friendship in the first place, it was an illusion with no substance. Many of us had have this rude awakening, it gets better, believe me, there are genuine people out there with true hearts and free minds.

• Londo111
  • straightshooter
    straightshooter

Sad to hear how your best friend has treated your situtation. Look after your best interests and not let others push you into something that will keep you unhappy.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

It's a shame how cultish behavior can unnecessarily complicate something as straightforward as an apartment reference. If a friend knows you are capable of being a good tenant, she should be willing to be a reference regardless of religious issues.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit