Our Story

by Auntfancy 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Auntfancy
    Auntfancy

Hi Everyone, I have been on here for a little while and haven't introduced myself to you. I can't tell you how much all of you have helped me sort many things out in my mind.

I was raised in a very good Christian home and married my HS sweetheart. I left home and moved half way across the country with a husband and a brand new baby. After 5 years of marriage it ended. It was very lonly for me because I only knew the people I worked with until I met a very nice man. He is a born in and his family has 6 generations on one side of the family and 5 generations on the others. His Grandmother professed to be of the anointed and was a Special Pioneer for many years. He was disfellowshipped at the time we met and I knew very little about the Witnesses. One thing that really bothered me was the custom of disfellowshipping. I told him that I didn't want to have anything to do with anyone that would treat you that way. He explained to me that it was the right thing to do because it was from the Bible. I wish I would have kept that feeling in my mind for the rest of my life!

I met many of his friends and other Witnesses that his Mom introduced me to. Of course I was love bombed and didn't realize what was happening to me. I would come home from gatherings and tell him how exciting it was to meet all of these wonderful friendly people.

We got married and I encouraged him to go back to meetings. He told that I didn't understand that it is a way of life and it wasn't just that easy. I went with him to the meetings and had a study with a couple of sisters and he was reinstated. Life was pretty good and he was made a MS and I was baptized.

He was appointed and Elder and he was on for years and very involved in the KH Buildings. He was on the Regional Building Committee and also many local KH projects. He gave so much time and money to these builds. In the meantime I got very ill and missed a lot of meetings. So you can imagine how we were treated!! I was treated horibble during this period and a brand new CO came to town and felt he should step down because I was missing meetings so my husband said fine!! We were treated like we were disfellowshipped which was awful.

Many times after that the brothers begged him to reach out again but he never would because he didn't like how the brothers were acting and he was through with the nonsense. My health worsened and during this time I had 6 surgeries and during this time I had ONE meal from the congregation! I kept saying how can this be the truth if there is no love shown.

We were both struggling and we sought out therapy and found a wonderful person that worked with us and she knew our background but never touched the religion but helped us get stronger. Finally I stopped going to the meetings because of my health but I noticed when I was away from it I felt better. I then went to a couple of meetings and had a panic attack when I walked into the KH and I thought something is not right so I started reading everything I could get my hands on. I was reading Crisis Of Conscience and would tell my husband what I was reading and he would come back with the response he learned for the WT and I said to him "that is exactly what they said you would say"! He said "OK, let me read the book".

He was shocked by what he read and we have been on this journey together. We have been married 31 years and I am so thankful that we did this together. It never crossed my mind when I started this that he wouldn't come along but I am fortunate because from reading I can see that many spouses don't listen.

We have faded at this point but I think for us to have any peace we will DA ourselves. We are using this time to help others out and he has a niece that he wants to help out.

Going through all of this has been hard and in the mean time I found out I have an early stage cancer. Not one JW has done anything to help. It really sealed it for me to see that the only thing important to them is putting in field service hours. I have a lot of anger about all of this. I waisted almost 30 years of my life and for my husband he gave 58 years of his life. I just hope we have many years ahead to enjoy life. Oh, an my family is so happy. I found out that my Dad use to cry when they would get together over the holidays because I wasn't there. He told my siblings that we can't lose her no matter what. They were always very careful what they said to me and I am so thankful that I never cut them off. I have gained so much since I left just in being so much closer to my family and I celebrated my first Christmas in 30 years and my family made it so special for me.

I hope this wasn't too long and again I want to thank all of you for the time you put into this site and for just being there.

Aunt Fancy

• Pterist
    Pterist

Thanks for sharing, and welcome

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

welcome nice story Kinda different twist a born in and a convert both getting out

FS

• cofty
    cofty

Hi Auntfancy, welcome and thank you for sharing your story.

Its often the dreadful lack of love that people experience when they need help that alerts them to the reality about the organisation.

It's good to hear you and your husband have left together and can go throught the journey as a couple.

I'm really sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with cancer, that must be very worrying for you and your family. You said it is early stage so hopefully the prognosis is good. I have been through radio/chemo and surgery over the past year for stage 3 cancer and the future is starting to look promising. I wish you every success with your treatment.

Cofty

• Think About It
    Think About It

Welcome Aunt Fancy. Loved reading your story. Enjoy posting on the forum and your new found freedom.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Be of good cheer Aunt Fancy and Cofty......... one of our long term friends..........who has been close to us for 35 plus years, in fact one of the very first real friendships we made after leaveing the 'truth'............. had a stage 3 cancer 3 years ago......... had the surgery, chemo etc. and is cancer free going great guns!! It's really become different these last number of years.

My wife and I got out early.......... in our twenties. Of course the best decision we made. This is a good place Aunt Fancy glad you found us.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Auntfancy - We have faded at this point but I think for us to have any peace we will DA ourselves. We are using this time to help others out and he has a niece that he wants to help out.

Welcome Auntfancy, I am glad that you were able to fade with your husband. I'm sorry that you were diagnosed with cancer, but happy that you are aware that you have it and are taking action to fight it. Best of Wishes to you and your family awakening other JWs and fighting your cancer.

By the way have you and your husband read Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", or (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), visited his website, or watched videos about him like the following video? The more that you know about the BITE control techniques that the WTBTS uses: the better prepared you and your husband will be to help awaken others. Have you read the thread the journey of my children in awakening by Aussie Oz? Both Steve Hassan's books and videos and the thread by Aussie Oz might give you and your husband some great ideas.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw-oF-Z_I7U

Also, have you thought about sending your husband's JW family and friends emails with lots of pictures of you and your family having fun and doing fun activities? I know it will be difficult for you to do a lot of fun activities while having cancer, but I have heard that laughter and having fun helps your immune system.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• steve2
    steve2

Welcome Aunt Fancy. What a journey you and your husband are on - and a courageous one too. It would be far easier at one level just to suppress your misgivings and 'soldier on' half-in and half-out of the organization - goodness knows untold numbers do just that.

But your principled need to get to the heart of the issues really stands out. The truth about 'the Truth' matters to you.

I understand where you're at and would only say that there is no urgency in making your fade an official one. The JWs try to turn decisions into 'life or death' ones which puts undue pressure on people when they need time to carefully and skillfully look at their reasonable options. Contrary to what the Watchtower has been saying for nearly 140 years, time is on your side.

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

Welcome and may you have peace

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Welcome, and great reading your experience! It is amazing the unexpected side effects of not being in the cult anymore (your health improving). My wife was a bit of a compulsive shopper when we were JWs. Once we left, the desire for fancy shoes, handbags, and clothes EVAPORATED! What a surprise! Best wishes to you and your hubby!

NR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit