Are atheists afraid of archaeology?

by Xanthippe 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Larsinger thinks we are. I have to answer this because it makes my blood boil.....Xanthippe

Lars is one of my favorite Crazy people..

He`s DianaRoss impersonator who believes..

A Piece of WBT$ Artwork with the likeness of Oprah Winfry as a baby,is him..

Which proves he`s actually Jesus..

One of the most entertaining things on this forum..

Is watching people Argue with Lars..LOL!!..

........................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Gopher
    Gopher

It should be obvious to all truth-seekers that any archaeology that supports your favorite "Holy" book is true, whereas any archaeology that doesn't was planted by the Devil to deceive you!

Stealing a reaction from Outlaw:  mutley-ani1.gif

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's the reverse, really. Mainly since the mid 19th century, christians have been ceeding to archeological evidence. Many christian scientists openly recanted. Modern archeology was born within a christian womb, so to speak. Its a 'new creation';)

'Reaction to The Origin of Species was mixed. Most scientists, including devout Christians, had long been convinced from a study of the increasingly large fossil record that evolution was a fact, but they had been unable to explain it satisfactorily. Darwin's proposal of descent with modification as a result of natural selection seemed to fit the evidence better than any other previous theory. Many scientists agreed with the concept of evolution, but they doubted that natural selection was a sufficiently powerful factor to drive species to change over time. Such large-scale changes, they argued, were driven primarily by factors internal to living beings that led to advancement up the evolutionary ladder; natural selection worked only on the margins, leading primarily to evolutionary dead ends. Still other scientists opposed Darwin's theory because it seemed to conflict with two biblical principles: immutability of species and the relatively young age of the earth.

Advances in knowledge in many scientific fields over the next 150 years--genetics, paleontology, molecular biology, subatomic particle physics--have generally confirmed both the age of the earth (put by scientists at about 4.5 billion years) and Darwin's theory. Most Christians worldwide today see Darwin's theory as compatible with both the fossil record and with Christianity. They have modified their interpretations of the Bible to accommodate the theory of evolution. For example, the Roman Catholic Church officially acknowledged in 1950 that the theory of evolution was not in conflict with Christian doctrine' http://www.progressivetheology.org/principles/Science-Bible.html

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

' Many scientists agreed with the concept of evolution, but they doubted that natural selection was a sufficiently powerful factor to drive species to change over time. Such large-scale changes, they argued, were driven primarily by factors internal to living beings that led to advancement up the evolutionary ladder; natural selection worked only on the margins, leading primarily to evolutionary dead ends.'

This is the stage at which the wt corp is, and the stand that it takes.

S

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I saw an exhibit at the Museum of Natural History in NY that fascinated me. It showed a map of the major world religions and the associated myths. For some reason, fossil and other evidence is not located throughout the globe but in certain hot spots. I can't recall the explanation for this impact. Ancient people could more easily come across extinct species than we can now. Not knowing modern thought, they saw concrete evidence for unbelievable things. They associated these with a period when gods were more present in human lives.

It was several years ago. My memory is faulty. If they saw dinoasaur bones, they did not think oh, dinoasaur bones. They thought some ancient legend explained it.

Perhaps someone else here knows more about this than I do.

I must also point out that Lars and the WT looks at specific finds rather than view them in a larger context of finds and theories. When I was a child and teenager, I was so impressed by the misconstrued secular evidence. I truly believed worldly science backed the WT view. It made no sense to me why everyone was not a JW with such scientifc backing.

They are a religion. I can understand doctrinal stances. The deliberate distortion of secular sciences is outright lying, not just faulty interpretation. There are plenty of people at Bethel with the skills to read accurately. How do they even find these weird gems lost in the immense record that does not support them. Someone must be researching and deliberately looking for odd statements to support the Witnesses. Barbara Anderson could probably clear this up.

• Scully
    Scully

im not afraid of it, it just bores me to death

• smiddy
    smiddy

Archaeology or the lack of it ,"indicates " atheists are right.,eg: the exodus from egypt .

smiddy

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

The nice thing about being Atheist is there is really nothing to fear... If God and all his angels finally show up ... we would be like woops I guess we were wrong all along.. and this loving God will fogive us..

so until then we are free.. from all that

• Satanus
    Satanus

Charles darwin started out a christian victorian, headed for the ministry. A few yrs of exposure to south american archeology transformed him into the arch demon that spawned the evolution theory. Archeology continues to transform christians, into atheists.

S

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

"The truth shall set you free" is one of the few sentiments in the Bble that are actually true but not in the way they intended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit