Candace Conti: Further Extension

by DNCall 27 Replies latest jw friends

<<<<Really? Like, they've got higher priorities than working on a case in which (A) millions of dollars are to be paid out, and (B) if they lose their appeal, dozens if not hundreds of similar cases will be brought against them?

It seems like good old fashioned foot-dragging to me.>>>>

This might be shocking to you, but the WTBTS is unlikely to be their only client. The WTBTS has nothing to add to the appeal, as it will be written entirely by lawyers and will be limited to legal issues only. I think the delays are the lawyers, who are probably too busy to get it done on time. Appeals are expensive and involve a large amount of work.

Some here commented that the extension allows the WTBTS to keep the money longer, and therefore, they earn more interest because of the delay. That only makes sense if they're earning more than 10% return on their money, because interest is presently accruing on the judgment at the rate of 10%/year. Given the trend in interest rates over the last few years, Conti will get a heck of a return on her judgment if she prevails on the appeal.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Thanks that makes sense. I was wondering if the appeals of the WTBS are not sucessful will this give any leverage for future lawsuit of the same nature?

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

A second extension also sometimes means that the parties are in settlement negotiations.

• Splash
    Splash

So maybe they are pressing Candace for a revised settlement.

You can see how it would be worth their while to up their offer, even to the full judgement amount if they can add a gagging clause and still keep their "never been found guilty in a court of law" label.

Splash

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    I am going to mail a check for $27 Million to Watchtower @ 25 Columbia Heights, but will "earmark" the check 'For Candace Conti Only.'

I have some blank checks left over from when I opened a new checking account. Wouldn't it be great if they were suddenly flooded with phony donations to the Candace Conti fund from all over the world just to let them know they are being watched. One could send a double message by making a copy of the cover of that Watchtower about the "1914 generation that will not die" and write their donation on the back of it or even on the back of a copy of a newspaper article about the trial. One could even send a second donation to the local k.h. Just to tip them off about the suit. Most JW's don't even know about it.

• maisha
    maisha

Further example that the WTS is nothing but a Cult. They are run by a Legal Dept, and are trying to avoid doing right by the child victims of their idiotic pedophile defending policies. They could have come clean with this shit years ago when it was exposed, and done right by the victims & policies, but they didn't because the WTS is a man-made, man-run, religious cult organization.

SO TRUE!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We have three former politicians that come to mind in the U.K , Lord Archer, Jonathan Aitkin and the latest Chris Hune, who, if they had come clean and apologised in the first place, would have been forgiven, and saved their careers and thousands and thousands of £££.

What drove them to denial ? It was a supreme arrogance, and a belief that they were both above , and could cheat, the Law.

We see the same arrogance and scant regard for both Law and Morals from the WT.

May the WT get their come-uppance, as did those politicians.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

What drove them to denial ? It was a supreme arrogance, and a belief that they were both above , and could cheat, the Law. DITTO!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit