Question for Brits.

by Band on the Run 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I enjoy watching the Questions time in Parliament. American cable companies pay for public affairs programming and we see it on cable. I particularly liked Tony Blair. It could be that the grass is always greener. I see a bunch of green benches in Commons. Yet I just read an article in the New York Times about the new Archbishop of Canterbury taking office. It said there were almost 700 members of Parliament. When we watch the Question session, there appears to be perhaps 40-60 people in the room.

Is there some method of allowing only mps with questions? Curious.

• cliff
    cliff

It depends on the whips (!)

Most Commons business is managed by the parties (Labour v Conservative/LibDem coalition) "pairing" their MPs so they can be elsewhere doing business or having lunch. On routine stuff little more than those down to speak are in the chamber.

This caused no problem before TV was introduced, since no-one could see the empty chamber! Now they tend to huddle around the person speaking (donutting!) so that the chamber appears full to the camera.

On critical debates ( a "three-line whip" since the item is underscored three times on the order paper) MPs are there on pain of death!

It is quite complex but that is the guist of it.

• cantleave
    cantleave

There are currently 649 MP's in the House of Commons.

The Bishops are in the House of Lords.

MP's do things other than debate in the Chamber. Many are involved Select committees, and do work in their constituencies. The only times you will see a full chamber is for big debates, Budgets and maybe PMQ's.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Thanks so much.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I remember before cameras were allowed in as a regular thing, the cameras were there for some reason, and whilst a debate was in progress with a near empty chamber, the camera picked up the Right Honourable Member for Maidstone stretched out along the green benches, fast asleep !

This was some years ago, and the old boy may have been up all night for other Commons business, but it did not go down well in his constituency I bet !

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I particularly liked Tony Blair. It could be that the grass is always greener.

It sure is. Tony Blair (B Liar) did more damage to this country than all our enemies combined. What he didn't ruin the one eyed Scottish idiot Gordon Brown finished off.

You're welcome to them.

George

• cedars
    cedars

I love watching PMQs. It helps me feel connected with what's going on. It's also fascinating to see some of the heated exchanges. It all makes for great theatre!

Cedars

• TD
    TD
    It all makes for great theatre!

Yes it does. I don't fully understand British politics, but I love to watch the exchanages. We don't have anything like that here.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

It was standing room only for the debate on a pay rise for MPs

• erbie
    erbie

Agree strongly with the above.

That despicable man Blair and his odious wife really did damage this great country more than all of its enemies combined.

After his failed attempt to sabotage this country he quit and basically said, "oh, by the way, I'm now a Catholic so you can all go to hell".

I can understand why people in the US like him so much. It is because he had his head so far up George W Bush's arse it was hard to tell where Bush ended and Blair began.

Its going to take David Cameron and the Conservative Government a long time indeed to undo the injury that man and his cronies did to this country.

He should be tried for war crimes and treason against his own country.

Principally because I love my country (as we all should) I hate the man.

I can't believe people would even consider voting Labour back in!!!

God help us if they do.

This is such a great nation and yet those people would have us crawling on our hands and knees at the mercy of the world.

He was only ever interested in lining his own pockets, which he successfully did.

Such a shame

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit