Are you still on a self improvement quest?

by Monsieur 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHyR7p6_hn0

There's good evidence that we are happier in "life's third act". Children have flown the coop. The stress and expectation to "do more" is gone. We live in the moment, knowing every day is borrowed.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sophie, I was going to say, that painting for being so Zen, is solidly rooted to the earth. That comes from a fall picture I took close to home.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I would say ' self actualization ' quest. I have to continue to take in knowledge of anything and everything, because all knowledge is ultimately self-knowledge. Jw's are often unhappy because the simply stop learning, and stop experienceing different things. They are even afraid to imagine since it is not practical, after all the END is so close! What a hell to exist in!

I friend of mine recently turned 30, and asked me for advice. I said " Never stop learning." She laughed and said " Is that it?" I said " that's enough, if you understand what it means."

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

"... what would you consider important to have done or accomplished before you die so that 'your time alive' would not have been a total waste? "

Leaving the WTS and its braindead dubs is a tremendous accomplishment by itself.

Living one's whole life by incomprehensible WT rules -- THAT's a total waste.

• steve2
    steve2

In my life, first as a JW and now as an adult of advancing years, self-improvement has been constantly refined and retuned. I love that I can learn from my mistakes, admit them and grow as a human.

I am drawn to the Acceptance and Commitment Therapy literature (ACT) of which there is an enormous amount available on the internet. Self-improvement starts with self-acceptance and a realization that there are some things about me that can be changed and other things that I healthily learn to accept.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I agree it's an ongoing project. Too bad life is so short, since we learn so much toward the end. I'm always trying to improve, also have a few goals I'd like to reach before the end. We'll see.

• steve2
    steve2

Too bad life is so short, since we learn so much toward the end.

So true. Unlike the end of the world - which never comes - our own end comes soon enough, and for many, far, far too soon.

Life stripped of compelling fairy stories requires skillful navigation and the adult maturity to develop one's own personal philosophy, guided by personal values.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

jgnat I have a mind that is equally creative and logical, so I have an unusual mix of abilities.

Yes, I have seen your painting and read many of your posts and that comes across.

As to being on an improvement quest, I guess I spent many years on that highway. Talent can be improved by effort and practice. Genuine improvement as people happens or it doesn’t, it cannot be forced. Now I find that if we concentrate on being content and kind to others the rest will fall into place.

• d
    d

I am constantly reinventing myself as a person.This takes a very long process but I take one day at a time.

• d
    d

So I am learning more about myself and my passions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit