Jeremiah Source Material

by Bobcat 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Thread about conclusions drawn in the Jeremiah Book, based on suppositions and possibilities.

See here.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Bobcat, it has been brought under my attention that the Jeremiah-book, under heading "Where is Jehovah?" emphasizes that Jeremiah "filled his heart with knowledge" (cf. Jer. 9:24) and that he "learnt from experience" (cf. Jer. 26:20-23). The readers of the book are encouraged to do the same. This is a wonderful lesson, but not applicable to Jeremiah's situation at all. Almost every chapter commences with "this is the word of Jehovah," "the utterance of Jehovah," or some similar phrase. Even though Jeremiah could have "filled his heart with knowledge" and "learnt from experience," he was not at liberty to take the initiative or form his own conclusions. Initially he was told "But to all those to whom I shall send you, you should go; and everything that I shall command you, you should speak" (Jer. 1:7). He was Jehovah's prophet and had to follow Jehovah's lead. Am I right or am I missing something?

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

A lot of it has to do with the authorship of Kings and Lamentations. But to use this information to encourage the brothers to do research is ironic. If they research too much, they might get disfellowshipped. So I guess balance is needed. Only study the Society's publications. Bobcat, what say you?

• mP
    mP

Its funny and sad how they squeeze 607 into every conversation.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Vidqun:

Just saw your post above. After I recover from work I'll try to concentrate on it. I think the heat of the day has fried my brain.

I did write something about Jer 26:20-23 a day or so ago. But while copying a link I accidentally hit the tab's close window button for the editor window and POOF, all that I wrote went into the nether regions, never to be seen again. (Digital Limbo!) Maybe I'll try again. I don't have Lars' prolific typing ability.

Take care

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Chapter 12, "They Will Certainly Feed You." See thread here.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

More about chapter 12:

"Was Not That a Case of Knowing Me"

See DATA's thread here.

• Splash
    Splash

Thanks Bobcat - I'm reading your references.

Thanks for the effort and research.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Splash:

Thanks for the thoughts. I thought this would be a good catch-all thread for research various ones have done for the Jeremiah Book.

Vidqun:

If they research too much, they might get disfellowshipped. So I guess balance is needed. Only study the Society's publications. Bobcat, what say you?

Sorry, I forgot to get back to this.

I find myself "studying" WT pubs, including the Jeremiah book, only with great care to analyse everything for accuracy and other propaganda techniques. They (WT writers) seem to be good for:

1. Choosing one position on complex issues and acting as if there were no other possible conclusion.

2. Showing contempt for any opposite views while lauding anyone that agrees with them.

3. Telling you how you feel about (name issue), or telling you how you should feel (or think) about it.

I find myself feeling a reluctance when it comes to reading WT pubs because I know I'll run into catch words ("slave class," "other sheep," "anointed Christians," etc.) that mean one thing to the Society and something different to me. It makes reading WT pubs a real chore.

At the same time, particular passages in WT pubs have served as stepping stones to real research that I've learned from. So they have served some useful purpose.

But like you say, you have to be very careful. The friends are gleeful when you can show them something from a non-WT reference that coincides with the WT position. But otherwise they are suspicious of anything non-WT. So I try to limit what info I give out. Numerous times I've shown my wife something from a non-WT reference that corresponds with what the Society says, or even explains it better, and she will comment, "I wonder why he (the reference author) isn't in the truth?" She doesn't realize that most times the Society got their "truth" on that subject from a non-WT reference. Then they pretend it is "light" from themselves.

The last time we did the Revelation Climax book, I followed closely along in an academic commentary and much of what I said above became painfully apparent. (And I was the conductor!) It got to the point where I couldn't wait to get the book study out of my house. How I got thru that period without being DF for apostacy is a wonder.

But I've since become more careful about what I tell JWs. Many are like intellectual landmines. Say the wrong thing and they say nothing to you but report what they heard (or what they interpreted from what they heard) to the elders.

Take Care

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

An interesting review of how much of Jeremiah is actually used in the Jeremiah Book.

See thread with graphs here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit