Jeremiah Source Material

by Bobcat 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• *lost*
    *lost*

I did actually go through the Jeremiah book on my own. Afraid to read anything now that comes from the society. So thanks for this, I can go through it at my own pace.

thanks BC

lost

bumped to research later

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

*Lost*

And feel free to add your own research too!

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Page 90, Par.17

Here is a thread with comments about encouragement for depressed souls.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Page 95 - 98

Here is a thread concerning the topic of singleness.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Page 95 par.8 footnote.

The footnote sites Isaiah 56:4, 5.

See here (my post # 756 for commentary relating these verses to the great crowd of Rev 7.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Page 99, 100, pars. 15, 16

Thread on including single ones in family gatherings, outings, and meals. - See here.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Page 102, par.20

The main part of the paragraph says:

Under inspiration, Jeremiah foretold: "They will no more teach each one his companion and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know Jehovah!' for they will all of them know me." (Jer. 31:34) In principle, we are already enjoying such outstanding companionship in the Christian congregation, including that with brothers and sisters who are single.

I have a question for others. What is your take on the words "In principle"? Why couldn't they just say, "We are already enjoying such outstanding companionship"? (Whether true or not, I'm trying to understand what "In principle" adds to or modifies about this.

Could it be an acknowledgement to the idea that they don't see Jeremiah 31:34 (concerning the New Covenant) applying directly to the bulk of JWs?

Thanks for any comments.

Take Care

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

"In principle" (principle = general truth - Webster) but not according to the letter. The writer asserts they are already doing this in a general, round-about way. Now it appears to be a basic doctrine, but later it will be strictly enforced (in the New System?).

The context deals with friendships. Personally, I view the above as another JW fallacy. When I was married and "in the truth" I had many friends. After my divorce the friendships would dry up. As a single person I did not fit in with the couples anymore, and was sidelined. As many here have remarked, JWs practice conditional love. If you are single and pioneering, you are acceptable. If not, you are viewed as weak = bad association. My five cents for what it's worth.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Thanks for the reply Vidqun.

A synopsis of the book so far here.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Page 106, par.8 - Page 110, par.13

More comments concerning Baruch and connecting the experience on page 108, par.12 to Geoffrey Jackson (GB member).

See the thread here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit