So, is this present life it??

by Monsieur 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Tec - Fair enough. The way you put it, I can understand and respect. Thank you.

See Ravens, now thats how you answer a question

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

dazed: i cant see your pic! you answer questions better than you predict football game.

• tec
    tec

Thanks Dazed... and you're welcome.

you answer questions better than you predict football game

Touche

(if that was meant for me, lol )

Peace,

tammy

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Ravens - There is a picture I have posted twice and about 5 min latter its gone. Its not obscene or vulgar so I don't get it. If its a Mod, can you PM me and tell me why its being removed?

Yes, Ravens I SUCK at predicting ANYTHING. Thx

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

And its back.

Thank you

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

And its GONE again! WHAT is going on?

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I give up, there it is. Am I being PUNKED?

• Londo111
    Londo111

There is much about the nature of reality we do not know, that possibly we will never know on this side. Quantum mechanics shows that the Newtonian world we live in is emergent—matter and energy exists as a smear of probabilities. These waves of probability can add to other probabilities, or subtract from other probabilities, or cancel each other out. This is what makes the everyday world “solid”. Future measurements can affect present outcomes. Quanta can be entangled so that what happens to one, instantly effect the other, no matter how far apart they are. The true underlying nature of reality seems to be nonlocal, as was discovered by the Aspect experiment.

There is no conclusive interpretation of Quantum mechanics. Information theory has led some to hypothesize that we live in a holographic universe and/or that reality is a computer simulation, ala the Matrix. Of course, the proof is yet to present itself.

In regard reality being a computer simulation, I believe there are other hypothesises that could be explored. Because then the question is if that computer is running in a universe that is a simulation, which is running in a computer that is a simulation, and so forth. Perhaps we are not in some sort of “supercomputer”, not the electronic kind anyway, but that the bedrock of reality is contained in a Mind. Of course, this touches on pantheism, which is bound to get me in trouble with the theists here. But it could be the true nature of reality is on the other side of the “firewall” and not contained within what can be measured.

In regard to my belief in the afterlife, I just can’t discount the many, many accounts of NDEs, shared death experiences, and deathbed visitations—this has been happening throughout recorded history, and much of this has had an effect of various religions around the world. Of course, this has been discussed on JWN before, and there are various explanations that have been proposed, but nothing conclusive. Those that have been touched by such experiences are changed thereafter, even those who were atheists. Carl Jung was one of these.

I don’t claim to have all the answers. In fact, I have more questions than answers, especially about the Bible. I hope I don’t offend anybody, but I don’t believe in ‘Bible inerrancy’—I think the Documentary Hypothesis points in the right direction. The site ‘Contradictions In The Bible’ does bring up many valid points.

I believe in theistic evolution. Toward the end of my stint of being a believing JW, I was climbing the walls in my mind--what prevented macro-evolution? It made no sense to me since the evidence was clear. Attempting to believe in a literal Adam & Even, Eden and a talking snake pained me, as well as believing in a global Flood.

When I was a teenager, in a Gideon-like fashion I prayed on three occasions in regard to God’s existence, and had the same low-probability outcome each time, an outcome that was very unlikely, unless I made it happen myself (which in these cases I did not). As part of the “deal”, I did promise that I would never tell anyone. I’m not sure if God cared either way, but I did make the promise and probably should have not revealed as much as I just did. Whether I’m held to it or not, I want to be a person of my word. Even when I was agnostic, I believed that some higher power, God, a Super-consciousness, or cosmic force altered the outcome three times. Unfortunately when I was a teen, I just assumed that if God exists than the JW religion must be true—which was a false premise.

I realize that I did not give details because of my promise, and therefore, it is easily shrugged off or dismissed. I’m not trying to convince anyone that God answered my prayers, just explain where I am personally coming from.

Now--I have likely offended atheists, conservative Christians, and who knows who else? That’s why I don’t like to add fuel to a fire that can easily rage out of control. I believe the point of this site is we can come to our own conclusions about matters, not somebody else’s. We can finally believe as our conscience, reason, and heart dictates.

I really have not liked these believer vs non-believer battles on JWN and have strived to stay out of them. There have been dogmatic people on both sides and I had enough of dogma. If a person doesn’t believe in God, I don’t feel it’s my job to convince them, but God’s. If asked, I will explain my position. I don’t want to argue with fundamentalists on one hand or militant atheists on the other.

I don’t mind arguing with a JW apologists about, say 607, because I feel driven to help JWs where I can break free from BITE mind control. Where they go when they break free is up to them.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I've gotta say, I loved that Londo! So cool to read about your lifelong journey. I lean towards your views myself. I love biologos website and think that the research of NT Wright and others into a non literal Genesis is exciting! I'm undecided, but I'm loving the journey.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Thanks Londo

I believe in theistic evolution.

I thought about this toward the end of my fade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit