Governing Body. How are they selected these days?

by punkofnice 18 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I wonder what sort of high they get from such a power trip?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

00DAD - We'll say several monkeys. "Evidently, selections are made by several monkeys and a Magic 8-Ball"

P O N - supposedly the high is not unlike doing "whippets"

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

The setup is a power brokering governing body - always has been (since its inception in 1971).

• DATA-DOG
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Seriously, I think the GB have a meeting. If the candidate meets the scriptural requirements, a letter is sent to Heaven. Then a box is checked yes or no. Then the GB interviews the candidate and asks them the prepared questions from the legal department.

1) Is there any reason you can't be a GB member...blah, blah...

2) Have you ever molested children..

Apparently the Holy Spirit does not know anything and defers to the legal department.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I would think that they would have to prove themselves as company men. Bible understanding would need to be able to keep up to date with new light, must be able to do a decenct job of defending new light in the eyes of the currant GB. I would think decision making ability that favors growth of the corporation, I doubt field service hours or number of bible studies play any significant part.

Husband of 1 wife I don't think they will take any divorcees. And there might be certain GB that are looking for someone who will vote like him on corporate policy that might put one up for concideration by specific GB members who are ploting something in a power stuggle.

I don't they would pick someone any more like Chitty, or Geenlees for fear of huge lawsuits so paying more attention so this don't happen again, but no guarantees because of all the repressed shadows it could turn up again.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

They promote just like any multi-million dollar business would, with the caveat that they only promote from within. Successful candidates must show a long CV of field service, pioneering, missionary work, Gilead, Circuit/District Overseer, and finally, executive positions at Bethel or at a branch. Being fluent in a few languages is a plus. Must have several strong references, including at least one from within the Governing Body.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Considering the JW emphasis placed on living by Jewish laws over Christian principles, I would half expect the Urim and Thummim to come into play at some point in the process.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

DATA-DOG -

2) Have you ever molested children..

This would be the only case where the required answer is 'yes!' With that question answered 'yes' the other GB members add him to their paedophile ring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit