Can your child be too young to learn TTATT? Where would you start?

by DATA-DOG 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

That is my dilema. My child is wonderful, funny, smart, talented, cute, kind, and a social butterfly. I want to see her happy. I want her to have friends. I don't want to destroy any sense of stability she has. I also do not want her to become a WT ZOMBIE. I have been thinking of just saying, " I have learned that just like ancient Jerusalem, the WTBTS has become corrupt. That doesn't mean your friends are bad, but we must keep our wits about us. We have to use our power of reason, especially in these times."

How does that sound? I am not totally dropping a bombshell, but perhaps setting the groundwork for further discussion?

Thanks,

DD

• happy@last
    happy@last

Fortunately most of the kids in the hall my kids attend are two faced. Only tonight one of mine was telling me that the kids in the hall are nice and pleasant in front of their parents and behave completely opposite when their parents are out the picture. I encourage mine to have friends at school, who always tell it as it is, are streetwise and realists.

Friends are always tricky, kids fall out all the time. As far as teaching them TTATT I use real life issues, not doctrines. Just ask if things make sense to them, ask 'what if' questions, they are more clever than we give them credit.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

How old is she?

We ... ah, er ... home schooled. When I learned TTATT three years ago, I found reasons for my two school-aged daughters to go back to public school. One was a junior, the other in eighth grade.

The junior is baptized, so I have been more encouraging for her to think and reason and live without going anti-JW, she now is going to college ... so far so good, she enjoys the contacts she made through school and work, and, while not seeing through the smoke and mirrors of the Watchtower yet, she is becoming independent and voices opinions contrary to Watchtower teaching ... I expect she will one day face the harsh reality of JW control, and when she does, I hope enough is in her mind to help her out.

The freshman was hoping to get baptized, we were working on this up until I made my awakening, fortunately I was able to get her to put this off, although she still goes to meetings with her mother, she now has a boyfriend, has made a few good "worldly" friends and isn't one of those JW kids that has to hide a double life ... this of course has caused the JW's to not include her anymore in anything social, but it has been a smoothe transition and she can see some of the hypocrisy, I look for opportunities to question her and have her reason things out ... her mother is very upset with me about this but it has been going along nicely ... I gave her the book "Captives of a Concept", she was apprehensive at first, but after a couple of months she has started to read it.

That is how things are going for me. All situations are different.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi DATA-DOG, Double Ditto what wannabefree wrote. Find any reason to help your children to meet and make as many non-JW friends as possible. Let your children's peers do the convincing. If you can celebrate birthdays and holidays with your children, do it. Take your children to fun activities that they will enjoy. Children are pretty smart. Instill in your children a passion to use the internet to do research on all religions.

Your objectives should be to love your children unconditionally, and help your children to develop critical thinking and make non-JW friends. Children just need time to develop and use their critical thinking.

If you must reason with a JW spouse or other family members, you should read Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), visit hiswebsite, or watch his videos like the following video. If you are financially well off, you might want to contact Steve Hassan through his website to ask for his advice.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw-oF-Z_I7U Peace be with you and everyone, who you love, Robert

• finally awake
    finally awake

I don't think any age is too young to learn TTATT. My kids were 4, 10, and 11 when we left the borg. We explained to each of them why we were leaving and we've continued to talk about all the things the WTS is wrong about.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

My kids were 9 and 11 when I left, followed shortly therafter by their dad. Since I was raised in the world, I was always open minded and did not shove WT doctrine down my kids' throats. They were allowed to play at my home with non witness kids or at the local park. Yeah I took flack from other sisters but did not care.

So I think since I wasn't too stringent with the WT rules it was easier for my kids to leave. And I also taught them to prove things to themselves.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Keep i mind what you share with your daughter she will share with her witness friends. In my lng life I have never seen this fail with me as a child or with my own children. If she shares too much you will have a lot of explaining to do.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Teach them that sparlock is only a harmless toy

That the sound of thunder or an earth quake is not the end of the world

stop fillin' their heads wit death and destruction. And please don't tell them

they will never finish school. Stop allowin' your children to live in fear

This is only a suggestion to any who read this post

As for DATA DOG The fact he started this thread shows

that his child is in good hands

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

I would suggest the same as the folks before me. Find them good, honest "worldly" friends. That way they can see first hand that in most cases.....not only are "worldly" people not bad.....they are actually nicer than the "friends" they have at the kingdom hall.

Make sure they are NOT home schooled. As they see their friends at school celebrating their birthdays, getting into the Christmas spirit, having a blast playing sports etc etc........they will see that these things aren't bad at all.

My children are 5 1/2 and 3 1/2. My soon to be ex wife is constantly barraging them with how bad birthdays and Christmas and magic etc are. When the kids are with her.....they lead a regimented life.....dominated by meeting attendance and service. When they are with me.......I give them choices. Yes.....I believe that 5 and 3 year olds should be given choices. With me......I tell them "it is up to you". For instance.....my oldest wants to have a birthday party. 3 months ago she was completely indoctrinated. But kids have brains and curiosity. She asked me if I celebrate mine. I told her yes. She proceeded to tell me that Jehovah doesn't like that. I used basic reasoning with her. "Jehovah isn't happy I was born?" I asked. "I sure am happy YOU were born." She responded by saying "but birthdays put too much importance on one person (yes a 5 year old said this) and that is selfish". I said "but what about so and so's wedding you just went to. That day was all about them wasn't it?" She literally thought about it for a minute and said......."yeah.......so there's nothing wrong with birthdays?". I said "I don't think so". She promptly asked me if I would have a birthday party for her when she turns 6.

Even at such a young age......they are able to use basic reasoning. Combine that with her going to school now and she can see how normal kids are OUTSIDE of the kingdom hall. It is a desire for ALL kids to want to be normal. If you can catch them early......I think that TRUE love (not conditional love) and thinking skills will win out over forced indoctrination and fear.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Data-Dog, This is a wonderful thread. I don't have any Grandchildren, but the thought of un-indocternating children is a noble one.

My thoughts are with you, on this one.

Just Lois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit