Yehowah, the divine name known by the Watchtower, but not used.

by nibbled 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sounds like magic. The person(s) who get the exact pronouniation command the god to do whatever they want. His name is the magic word. It controls him.

S

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Satanus I do not understand why they argue over, who has the most accurate "incorrect" pronuciation of YHWH or YHVH. These are the matters used in incantations, magic books and what the Gnostics wanted to secure "gnosis secreto". The faults with the Gnostic is they were held captive to a belief system and to "gurus" who held the secrets to divest the flesh and move to the clean spirit world. Your imprisoned by the whim's of a crazy wiseman, guru or teacher of the mystical knowledge. Arguing over a "J" or "Y" will not bring the person closer to God, I think God knows when people are calling him. I thought Jesus did away with all the legalism and books of rules when he died, apparently not! The endless debates Paul spoke of continue to our day instead of love of fellow mankind.

My mistake above, the Blog belongs to "Greg Stafford" and his name should have been put in the space above. Sorry for this error.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

YHWH was the god chosen by the post-Babylon exile Jews (priests) to be the one who would be their one and only god, the beginning of Jewish monotheism.

The evolution of El , to Yahweh and his consort (wife) , to YHWH has been discussed on many a thread here. Suffice to say the various stages of his evolution are all gods invented by and chosen by men.

So the pronunciation matters not one bit, as long as people understand which god you are taliking about.

I have just finished an excellent book by Selina O'Grady with the very true title "And Man Created God".

The Philosopher A.C Grayling said of this booik (in part) "No one should be allowed to lay claim to Christian or indeed any religious faith, who has not read this book first".

• Fed-up
    Fed-up

Here is how the reasoning goes:

1) JW's are the only religion to be "allowed" by Jehovah to use his name (not true, but "you ought to be aware that [JW] philosophy is very complex and does not conform to normal logic". This is how the reasoning book introduces the Hindu religion. Hello, Kettle? This is Pot. You're black.)

2) True, we don't know exactly how to pronouce the name.

3) Well, what other organization has Jehovah's obvious blessing and is accomplishing the preaching work world wide? Only JW's. So Jehovah must be so happy with the way we use his name and proclaim his kingdom that we are the only religion allowed to use his name...

4) See reasoning point number 1

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Anyone who thinks it's unimportant to know the correct name of God clearly hasn't read "The Nine Billion Names of God" ;)

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Why does it not matter to you? I only care to share what I learn with others who are interested in learning "all the truth". If you're not interested, I'm not offended. I enjoy exposition but not argumentation.

Why? Because I have absolutely ZERO evidence that this imaginary entity even exists.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Why? Because I have absolutely ZERO evidence that this imaginary entity even exists.

Bingo.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The god of the Bible has many names according to many readers and translators.

Shirley probably has a few more.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The use of a secret name that is not secret is confusing. Translators seem to leave YHWH behind after the first few Bible books. I AM what I AM impresses me. Since naming gives attributes in ancient cultures, God's refusing to be named and so limited. I imagine that magical spells were used with the name.

There are so many more important things. Jesus does not appear to use YHWH's name. He refers to him as "Our Father." When I am so moved I call him "Our Mother/Father,"

The concept of God has so many problems in our society. Naming God's personal name seems so ridiculous to me. Taking any single verse seriously is problematic.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Since naming gives attributes in ancient cultures, God's refusing to be named and so limited. I imagine that magical spells were used with the name.

The Jehovah's Witnesses still have that superstition: It is plainly published in their literature -

If you are threatened by "Demons" the thing to do is to just say the name "Jehovah".

It is as primative as any witch doctor in a grass hut tribe of Africa.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit