What is the most valuable thing your mother taught you?

by usualusername 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

When I was quite young my mother (pre-JW) told me there were 2 very important lessons every woman needed to learn

1. How to set a proper table for special meals
    2. To remember to cross your ankes and keep your knees together when sitting down

Oh and one other before she abandoned me the first time

1. Never let a man rub your titties because that is how you will get pregnant. (I swear her words exactly)

After she became a JW and I was living with her again: older and wiser the lesson she taught me was to not be like her.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

My oppologies posted on wrong topic.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My mother was a very judgeemental and critical JW. But she taught me that you dont need money to dress well or have a nice home. She would tackle any job, she even built a room on to our house. She was going to thrift stores and recycling before it was cool. I a business now, fixing up and selling old furniture

• talesin
    talesin

Hey, Cool!

this,,,,

never be very angry at any time.

It's okay to get angry. It's like crying, it releases the feelings... then we throw it over our shoulder, and feel the joys in life.. the anger gets released!

:)

Wow, I see how many of us have been taught that women are untrustworthy. That's what I learned, too. I mean, if you can't trust your mother,, who CAN you trust?

Much love to all, and let's wimmin,, work on getting to know loving men, friends, business associates, and lovers/partners, ... men, do the same.

Look in the mirror (thinking of MJ's song "Man in the Mirror", YouTube it) ,, and realize what would make life TODAY happier, and easier. And appreciating the good in others.

xo

just winding down my posting, taking a break for a while.. good thread, enjoyed participating

;)

t

(the bat is in honour of my friend, Bex, who loved those beautiful mammals, as do I RIP sister, 12-31-12 :'(

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

My Dad was very a very graceful man but was way too shy to ever dance with Mom in public. Poor Mom didn't have anyone to dance with so she taught me and my brother how to dance and assured us it would take us far when it came time for us to be interested in girls. I remember her showing us how to lead our dance partner to the dance floor and how to hold our partner firmly yet gently and how to glide rather than barge our way through a song. She was so right and we were always a hit with the girls at parties. the only problem was, she didn't mention how resentful it would make our guy friends.

She taught us to plow ahead and make the seemingly impossible, happen despite all the odds against it happening. She taught us that you don't have to be wealthy to have style. She taught us how to really clean a house and how to always be clean and presentable in public. She taught us how to keep the child in us alive and see the magic in the world no matter how jaded others around may have become with time.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

My mother taught me to dress well, put on make-up, and to hate my father. I still do the first two.

• talesin
    talesin

PS.. Please do not confuse my friend, Bex Feisty Wench, with the BeksBeks you know from here.

She is another person! No confusion please, she is alive and well!

Or anyone else call Beks or Bex .. Berengaria, also nicknamed a similar name, is not the friend of whom I speak.

Sorry, just realized that this may cause some confusion ...

thanks for listening ... :P

~ Dr. Frasier Crane

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Nothing comes to mind... huh. She is a JW

• Pterist
    Pterist

Not to believe anything I hear and half of what I see ! .....When I jumped to wrong conclusions,...... still a work in progress !

• excitesinceredetermination
    excitesinceredetermination

My mother is a jw and if I ever came to her in tears about something she would say with a soft smile: "A person only cries when they don't know what to do. Let's get to figuring out what the next step is, so we can get through this okay?"

I felt it was time to start my first response because I saw what Newly Enlightened posted about their little brother committing suicide and wanted to be sure and say something. Just reading that squeezes your heart! I always wondered how their shunning affected people in actual reality, far past the cold printed page. That is beyond horrible!! I am so sorry that you had to go through that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit