• nibbled
    nibbled

Apog Here you go (click here)

O'Sister
    What's wrong with your mind?
    You used to be so strong and stable.

My sister
    What made you fall from grace?
    I'm sorry that I was not there to catch you.

What have the demons done?
    What have the demons done?
    With the luminous light, that once shined from your eyes.
    What makes you feel so alone?
    Is it the whispering ghost, that you fear the most?
    But the blackness in your heart, it won't last foever
    I know it's tearing you apart, but it's a storm you can weather.

O'Sister
    Those lines etched in your hands,
    Their hardend and rough, like a road map of sorrow.

My sister
    There is a sadness on your face.
    You're like a motherless child, who's longing for comfort.

What's running through your veins, that's causing you such pain?
    Does it have something to do, with the pills they gave to you?
    What is eating at your soul?
    Was it the whispering ghost that left you out in the cold?
    But the blackness in your heart, won't last forever.
    I know it's tearing you apart, but it's a storm you can weather.

O'Sister
    My sister
    O'Sister
    My siste r

Cover Your Tracks : Read lyrics to other songs on album. I like "Wash Me Clean". This is the artist I emailed the first time I heard the album. Great guy.

For the Agnostics, here's a clever lyrics one.

Time Bomb, Dave Matthews

If Martians fell from the sky
    What would that do to God
    Would we put the weapon down
    Or aim it up at the sky
    No one would believe it except the feckin' nut jobs
    They'd lau gh and cry "we told you so!"

Baby when I get home
    I wanna believe in Jesus
    Hammer in the final nail
    Help me pick up the pieces

When everything starts to fall
    So fast that it terrifies you
    When will you hit the wall
    Are you gonna learn to fly

No one would believe it
    Except for all the people
    Watching as you fly away

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Who cares. There's plenty of artists around. I just go with what moves me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfDaLtGEQv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI79GPXAICM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfamBoa_zYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FH-q0I1fJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjAdfDrh8v0

And I'm not sure a song with religious themes necessarily makes a band "Christian" per se.

• nibbled
    nibbled

Well, I care. I have noticed that many posters have a "could give a sh!t" attitude towards anything they aren't interested in (and bother to waste their time telling you, too!). I imagine each person walking up and slapping me across the face. I've been on the Internet for 16 years but I've never found any less agreeable people than former JW's.

Why carry the bitterness? Leolaia is there any place were the people are more considerate? Is everyone the same IRL?

It's funny "why do you care?" doesn't carry much tone of voice but at least it implies you're interested in the person.

I obviously don't belong here. Every three posts I read at least one kills a little more of my happy.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Leolaia - nice picks. I like your tastes.

• only me
    only me

I care too. I hope you keep posting. I apologize for the rudeness of some of the posters here.

You have music connections? So do I, perhaps we know some of the same people .

I find your choice of "Sister" as an example to be interesting. The demon in the song was a crushing depression that hit a teenage girl. It is not a particularly religious song at all. I would know, it was written about someone I love by someone I love.

However, having said that, the songwriter is indeed a spiritual person, as opposed to religious. He also wrote The Northern and Young Cardinals for Alexisonfire , among others. Spiritual but not entirely Christian.

Barrold Bonds- be careful what you are calling shitty music. City and Colour are an internationally known, award winning band, started as a a side project of Alexisonfire members and some other major musicians. Not shitty at all.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I dont listen to music that much. I do like Mumford and sons and the Avett brothers. I guess most people consider themselves Christian, so it seems natural to me that some would about it. I dont attend church, but I consider myself Christian, so it doesn't bother me, actually, I find it interesting. I will have to start paying attention to the lyrics more often. I find other songs more problematical, example Foster The People's pumped up Kicks, its about school shooting. It was written before Sandy Creek, but it seems a bad thing to glorify. It seemed like it was played every 5 minutes for a while. Do parents know hat their kids are listening to?

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
    You'd better run, better run, outrun my gun
    All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
    You'd better run, better run, faster than my bullets

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's funny "why do you care?" doesn't carry much tone of voice but at least it implies you're interested in the person.

It's true. I don't understand the mentality behind "who cares?" when someone has taken the time to write an extensive post on a subject that obviously they care about.

I see lots of topics on here I'm not interested in. I don't post in them.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I seriously don't think "Pumped Up Kicks" was written to glorify violence. Of course it was a look back at the Columbine tragedy of 1999. However it is an artistic attempt to understand the feelings of bullied kids in school, who aren't the cool kids with the cool shoes - who are bullied for being different.

The song is trying to get people to think about the culture in schools where bullying is cool. Foster The People was in no way endorsing shooting people in response.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

nibbled,

A few thoughts come to mind when you bring up about religion in music.

Music has to be about something. Lots of songs will be about love, sex, dancing, drinking, because that's a lot more interesting than singing a song about working as an accountant or waiting on customers. So if writing about things that are part of life, some elements of beliefs enter music because it's recognized as part of life for true believers. And for many musicians, their earliest experiences with music were in church. So I'm not particularly surprised that on an album where only a few of the songs are really new, they fill in the rest of the space on the CD with some hymns that the musicians sang when they were little kids or remakes of old showtunes or older musicians.

Similar charges are made in the other direction by fundies stating that popular music is promoting homosexuality, drub abuse, and infidelity. Music is about expressing something. If songs have to be made explicitly clear that any religious beliefs are out of the picture, and that the only person you are kissing is your spouse, well, popular music is dead.

I also think that spirituality creates more topics to write about that are actually easier to write about... "You are Not Alone" would obviously be easier to write and sing than a song entitled "You are Totally Alone." Certainly, if any expression of hope was removed because it sounded too religious, music would be totally depressing. How many times would you want to hear, "Let's Party 'til We Puke, Because When We Die, We're Gone Forever"?

I met George Bensen and some others in the music industry while I was at bethel and they talked about the zillions of times they'd been approached about doing gospel or spiritual type music. They talked about how commercial it was. It was easy music to do. You'd instantly have a funbase and could make lots of money. And it would sanitize your image. George mentioned all the gospel singers he knew that were gay, immoral, and lived opposite of their music, because it was about the career and money. If I was an atheist pop singer, I'd probably do a Christmas album because it would make me a ton of money during December.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit