First post / 1914 info

by whichway2go 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Does anyone recall a book that was covered I'm the book study that touched on 607 and basically said jw's were one of the only that followed the 607 date?

Are you thinking of the Proclaimers book? JWs went through it weekly in the TMS meeting quite a while back now.

They wouldn't have said they were 'one of the only' to follow the 607 date (or rather, the 606 date back then) as the fall of Jerusalem because it was only really Barbour and Russell who believed that. Others did count periods of prophetic time from 607/606, but they understood those years to be the beginning of Nebuchadnezzar's reign rather than his 18th year when he destroyed Jerusalem, thereby more in keeping with conventional chronology.

Ah, here:

*** jv chap. 28 p. 622 Testing and Sifting From Within ***

Noteworthy too is what Brother Russell did with other highly significant truths that he learned from God's Word. He discerned that Christ would return as a glorious spirit person, invisible to human eyes. As early as 1876, he recognized that the year 1914 would mark the end of the Gentile Times. (Luke 21:24, KJ) Other Bible scholars had likewise perceived some of these things and had advocated them. But Brother Russell used all his resources to give them international publicity on a scale then unequaled by any other individual or group.

Also see p. 134-5 (bear in mind that the statements about John A. Brown are partially incorrect - he never connected Dan. 4's '7 times' with the 'Gentile times' of Luke 21:24).

Oh and

• xelder
    xelder

1981 Thy Kingdom Come (kc)

page 186 appendix....an attempt to refute Carl

I conducted this at bookstudy with no clue what they were trying to say or why.....was just boring

• Londo111
    Londo111

Welcome Whichway2go! I wish I knew the publication you were referring to.

• whichway2go
    whichway2go

Thanks all. I appreciate the thoughts. I will keep looking. I may need to find a original book in the cong library maybe. I just want to see it for personal history reasons. I remember feeling sick over it. Looking on the Internet for a few minutes and seeing apostates, then just praying to god for forgiveness and forgetting about it. It seems so crazy now, I just wanted to see it again.

I am not a born in, but may as well be. I was about 3 when my mum converted, and dad half heartedly followed years later, but still doesn't really seem to care for it.

Im also somewhat embarrassed to admit that I'm a MS. I feel like a hypocrit posting here, but am trying to get out without losing contact with mum. About 4 years ago I was told that if I could get my hours up I would be appointed elder, and I knew that it wasn't for me, so made sure that did not happen. I feel bad I disappointed some, but I need to live life for me and the misses, not my mum or the elders, and that seems to be what we have been doing for years. My hours have slowly dropped more, and I thought I would be deleted, but hasn't happened yet. I'm considering changing congs to make it happen, I see no way I could be appointed in a new cong, especially if it is a decent sized one.

I have seen many posts from other ms lately, which shocks me. But it gave me the courage to post. I decided I needed to pay back and tell a it more about me to help others on the fence about talking.

Im not sure which way to go from here, I'm on the fence about the future, but I know I want away from the jws. Take a break, continue to learn, and live and see where life goes. At least that is the plan for now. I just need to figure out what the steps to get there are in my personal situation, and to cause the least ripples we can......

Ww2go

• Pterist
    Pterist

List of watchtower publications

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Watch_Tower_Society_publications

Yes, my iPad has a mind of its own on this editor, welcome ...

I remember a very detailed chronology explained in a kingdom book around 1981 or so ,

Shalom

• whathappened
    whathappened

Welcome, Whichway. You are among true friends here and can speak freely. It's great, isn't it?

• Pterist
    Pterist

Xelder got it

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

but I know I want away from the jws

You do not need to know where you want to go.... but it is important to know where you do not want to be.

Welcome

• whichway2go
    whichway2go

thanks again all. And yes, it does feel kind of great to say what I think. I actually did that with my exjw friends recently, and as the first time I spoke allowed about other than to the misses. Was scary and happyfying at the same time....

What a crazy mess jws cause in peoples heads...

• scary21
    scary21

Welcome. Don't let any man keep you from learning. Information is a GOOD thing. Information based on facts is a GREAT thing.

A must read for you, as others have said is " Gentile Times Reconsidered " It has 14 lines of evidence why 607 is impossible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit