At what age do you think people should start dating? What age did you start?

by MsGrowingGirl20 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there OneDayi'llBeFree

Don't feel pressured to date for a specific reason or an expectation of somethin'

other than gettin' to know that person and good company.

You should feel free " NOT " to date at all if you don't want

Jus' enjoy bein' around friends

You do best to stay away from Witnesses who expect marriage

jus' because you want to take them to a movie

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Dating for what reason? I am a dad by the way..... Do you know who you are? What you want? What you really NEED?! Speaking from experience, I dated and was married way too young. It will handicap you. I don't know what you want out of life, but who you date and become emotionally attached to can dominate your destiny. Be extremely objective. If you can't be objective then you are not ready IMO.

Peace,

DD

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

As early as possible....don't make the same misstage as we did when we were JWs. Somwhere round 14-16 years should be a good age to start once sex life. But, don't forget the pill!

Go for it!

• finally awake
    finally awake

I started dating when I was 12 or 13. I didn't discuss it with my mom because I knew she wouldn't approve. I don't think there is any way to prevent kids from forming attachments with other kids, so forbidding dating is not particularly helpful.

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

I started dating recently. My husband is ok with it :) Never dated properly as a teen therefore I'm socially awkward.

I say group dates starting at high school age 14-15.

• Pickler
    Pickler

My son has started seeing a girl at 15, they have a lot of common interests (gaming, movies, bands etc) it's lovely to see a relaxed friendship develop. So different from the witness way where marriage is pushed so young.

I went out with a brother at age 15, after 1 week I heard on the grapevine that he had already asked someone to be his best man at the wedding. We broke up a week later.

• Lore
    Lore

I have never dated.

But I think children should be able to start at around 13 if they feel so inclined.

And by that I mean, any earlier than that and I would probably question their parenting. Not that they should be legally unable to date or that the rule applies to everyone.

• perfect1
    perfect1

Hey Ms GG!

Guess what- I was NEVER allowed to date.

I snuck around a little, not much, and then developed an entirely secret life.

I left home at 18 so after that I experimented a lot.

I would let my kids date at any age they were interested in someone- with adequate education about sex and contraception of course.

I would encourage them to be honest with me so I knew what they were up to and were in less danger than if they had to keep secrets.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I was 22 when I went on my first date. Before that I was having way too much traveling to different location in the US. Dating never appealed to me. When I was in high school I would observe and watch my classmates. I would see the results when a couple broke up, or end up pregnant. As a child and through out my teens I had to deal with abuse (sexual, mental, and physical) from my own father. So dating a boy was the last thing on my mind. I put up a barrier around me, and I did not want anyone to get near me emotionally or physically. My first boyfriend was a lying prick who I would rather forget, and dumped rather quickly, I only saw him for less than two month. The second man I started dating is the one whom I married, he was able to get through my shell that I had put around me. This past September we just celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary, and we have two wonderful sons. There were times that I was not the easiest person to deal with, dealing with that crap my father put me through, and the cult my mother raised me in. I am just amazed that I am not in a looney bin. My husband has been my rock and my strenght, if it were not for him I know I would have went off the deep end a few times.

• Skbj
    Skbj

can we please define dating? I'm always having troubles with what different people mean, and are we talking dates with other JW or with anyone?

Are we talking dating, just hanging out with someone we fancy, or are we talking dating as in getting sex involved?

Managed to briefly date a JW when I was 19, he was 29. The fact that he was older and nod as dumb as others made briefly be interested. Although we met in group we also met in normal one-to-one dates. I say briefly because we met 2months before I emigrated to another country and after I moved he started doing my head in so had to cut his ass loose.

Now if we're talking about anyone I'll happily say 16. Unsupervised, in fact my parents had no clue...oh the blessing to have at least 'some' family who isn't JW!! About what age is right...I haven't got kids so it's hard to say but if I get a daughter that's anything like me I will let her date probably from when she 15, my husband is saying the word never lol we'll have to compromise....seriously though, depends from the person and who they are wanting to date. I will not be alienating my daughter or son like my parents did with me when it came to the romance/sex issue. Making it a taboo like the JW do is just wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit