I need some help ... references needed

by EdenOne 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi EdenOne, Ditto what dazed but not confused wrote. I would send a message (i.e., PM) to Blondie, because she is a database of WTBTS references. Have you visited Wikipedia and read about the Watchtower Doctrine Changes?

If the elders give you trouble, you and your son could ask them, "Since the Watchtower does not say when the end will come (i.e., in another 130 yrs), will they provide your son the type of employment that will allow him to provide for his family, or allow him to donate to the WTBTS?"

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• hoser
    hoser

From the November 1 1992 Watchtower

Adequate Education

8 This seems, therefore, to be an appropriate time to consider the Christian’s attitude toward secular education. What Bible principles bear on this subject? First, in most countries proper submission to “Caesar” requires Christian parents to send their children to school. (Mark 12:17; Titus 3:1) As for young Witnesses, in their schoolwork they should remember Colossians 3:23, which states: “Whatever you are doing, work at it whole-souled as to Jehovah, and not to men.” A second principle involved is that Christians should be able to support themselves, even if they are full-time pioneer ministers. (2 Thessalonians 3:10-12) If married, a man should be able to provide properly for his wife and any children that may be born, with a little extra to give to those in need and to support the local and worldwide preaching work.—Ephesians 4:28; 1 Timothy 5:8.

9 How much education does a young Christian need in order to respect these Bible principles and meet his Christian obligations? This varies from country to country. By and large, however, it seems that the general trend in many lands is that the level of schooling required to earn decent wages is now higher than it was a few years ago. Reports received from branches of the Watch Tower Society in different parts of the world indicate that in many places it is difficult to find jobs with decent wages after completing simply the minimum schooling required by law or in some countries even after finishing secondary or high school.

10 What is meant by “decent wages”? It does not indicate highly paid jobs. Webster’s Dictionary defines “decent” in this context as “adequate, satisfactory.” What might be termed “adequate,” for instance, for those who wish to be pioneer ministers of the good news? Such ones generally need part-time work to avoid putting “an expensive burden” upon their brothers or their family. (1 Thessalonians 2:9) Their wages might be termed “adequate,” or “satisfactory,” if what they earn allows them to live decently while leaving them sufficient time and strength to accomplish their Christian ministry.

11 What is often the situation today? It has been reported that in some countries many well-intentioned youngsters have left school after completing the minimum required schooling in order to become pioneers. They had no trade or secular qualifications. If they were not helped by their parents, they had to find part-time work. Some have had to accept jobs that required them to work very long hours to make ends meet. Becoming physically exhausted, they gave up the pioneer ministry. What can such ones do to support themselves and get back into the pioneer service?

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

If your son has the chance to go to university do encourage him to go! Encourage him to choose a course of study which really interests him, which he really wants to study not just for the benefits it may bring, but for its own sake.

The very bedst thing I did after leaving the JWs ( some year after, actually) was to go to university. It is a wonderful, life-enhancing time. I get so angry when I think how folk are made to pass up on such great opportunities.

• Ding
    Ding

This didn't address education directly, but I seem to remember that in Rutherford's book Children, John and Eunice decided not to have children because the end was so close. That was back in the 1920s or 1930s.

And in Millions Now Living Will Never Die (1920), Rutherford wrote that we could confidently expect the resurrection in 1925. Again, that's not education related, but it does show that it makes no sense to base your future on the WTS' prophetic speculations.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Perhaps you could use an argument that came to me. Education only increases the talents that God created in you. It is not bad in itself. My interest has always been in civil rights and liberties b/c of the Witness. My education allowed me to work on U.S. Supreme Court cases. If I were still an active Witness, perhaps I would volunteer to be a Witness lawyer.

One can study the Bible far better when one knows Greek or Hebrew. Indeed, I read the Bible much more comprehensively since my education.

Why don't you expose him to a college campus for a few days where he could hang with worldlies around his age? The colleges are very selective about the students they choose to help recruiting. My experience of th world was always that there were bad things but never the way the Witnesses portrayed. Meeting actual college educated people might help. I don't know your socio-economic circumstances. I had no personal friendships nor did my parents with any college grads.

This issue is analogous to poor and working students being admitted to elite colleges and feeling out of place. It was brutal for me. Only after the fact, do I realize how many resources were available to me. Others were not afraid to raise the issue. I know there are many conferences and books about integrating the experience. The problems are similar -- adapting to a different culture.

College is not contagious. A good steward of Christ hones his skills to better spread Christ's message.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Just be sure to talk of experiences of older JWS and EXJWS. Miine I wanted to be a teacher but in 1958 I was told I woulc not grow up in this system. I did . IIn 1967 I got pregnant with first child,, he would nevef start school. H is now 45 and I am 65 and on social security and Medicare. He must prepare for his future becuase nobody will do it for hîm.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

May 22, 1969 Awake magazine: a young person starting college will never finish it in this system of things (not a quote)

See it here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/203658/1/May-22-1969-Awake-full

That's just one of several from that time period.

I lived it. I know. Made damn certain my kids went to college.

Doc

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There is a huge difference between taking a skilled manual job by choice and b/c you had no other options.

Perhaps my generation did drop out but then we became the yuppies. I saw the townhouse that the Weather Underground blew up on themselves in Greenwich Village. The only left in the wreckage as a supporting wall with a bulit-in book case, full of books, and diplomas on the wall. Many of the peope involved have come forward, recanted or had charges dismissed b/c of lack of evidence. They are many lawyers in the group.

SDS was a very middle class and upper class group. Their educations and their families' support gave them options unthinkable to some ghetto educated kids.

My mom was not involved. Now I see parents too involved. I had antipoverty programs for help.

It is a tight rope act when dealing with teenagers. If my mom suggested something, I might react against b/c she was not going to tell me wha to do.

There are skilled workers who have very rewarding lives and prob. earn more than college grad.

If I wanted my younger sister to do something, I would tell her she should not or that she could not. Her enthusiasm for showing me drove her right into my scheme.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

For a string of Watchtower references over the years go to Higher Education.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Some, on examining their situation, realize that the course that is truly consistent with their dedication to God is for them to be sharing in the field ministry full time, as pioneer ministers, devoting a hundred hours to preaching the “good news” each month. They have completed their secular schooling, are young, in good health and without family obligations or other responsibilities that have a prior claim on them. (Eccl. 12:1, 13) They do not choose to get established in a career in the business world, because they cannot see throwing in their lot with a system that God’s Word plainly says is ‘going out of business’ in the near future. So how do they react to “attractive offers” from the world? During his last year of high school one young brother, just a short time ago, was offered scholarships that would have completely paid for a college education. But he knew that success he might enjoy in the world would be, at most, short-lived. He called to mind the Bible’s counsel: “Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world . . . the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.” (1 John 2:15-17) Love for Jehovah and faith in His word of promise moved him to enroll as a pioneer. Watchtower 1967 February 1 "Servants of God Full Time"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit