Any1 in Los Angeles - Hollywood Area?

by mrjdmelendez 14 Replies latest jw friends

• mrjdmelendez
    mrjdmelendez

My first year in LA went by fast yet at times painfully slow. You see, I moved to LA from San Francisco. I always said by the time I am in my 30's I'd be living somewhere warmer, and that I did. I was raised a JW all of my life. I was the young pioneer brother helping the elderly out in service, and cleaning the kingdom hall bathrooms in the afternoons. I always seemed to go for the tasks that no one wanted to do. Although I went through the motions, I kept a secret, actually two. Ever since I could recall I knew I was attracted to guys, my other secret was that I was a full blown alcoholic.

I could not fathom the idea that Jehovah made me this way to only then condemn me. All I could do was drink and drink. I'd sit in the very front at the KH so others could not notice I was buzzn. My father, who was DF'd elder, drank himself to death and I knew I was headed that direction. I remember On one occasion, I got so drunk one day after the meeting and ended up in a homeless shelter while a nurse on duty was taking my pulse and blood pressure. IN A SUIT. It was then then that it hit me, I was an alcoholic and asked Jehovah to help me stop. Although I lived by myself in the Downtown area, had fabulous friends, worked a big law firm, was a pioneer and very independent, I just did not want to admit it. Soonafter, I started to work a twelve step program with a sponsor, mind you, this person did not know i was gay nor are you able to tell if you saw me. But he said, "Jonathan, you WILL NOT get better unless you start being honest with yourself". I knew what that meant.

I sit here, two years later, shunned by my only living parent and have no relations with my siblings, except one, my sister. She told me JUST TODAY that she can no longer continue to be a JW knowing that she has an abusive husband and no one in the KH will help her because her abuser is an elder. I was more than delighted to hear the great news about her leaving that cult. She is flying out to see me here after many years of no communication because i am gay. Having done thorough research on the "truth" , I felt initially hurt, angry and confused. I no longer believe in the bible, but consider myself a spiritual person. I still work my twelve step program and remain sober. I'm currently working towards my master's and obtaining my teaching credential to teach paralegal school. I am in a loving relationship, and loving life in LA. I do not know what I will tell my sister, what i do know is that I can offer her my experience strength and hope, and I want her to know that she is LOVED, and that love is not conditioned to a belief system.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Wow...mrjdmelendez, Welcome. Sounds like you have been thru the wringer!

I am sorry, I am not in the LA, Hollywood area.

Just Lois

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Welcome to JWN and welcome to SoCal. I am up in Ventura County.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome mrjdmelendez to JWN. I'm glad that you are in a loving relationship, you have overcome great obstacles to get where you are now, and are free of the WTBTS.

You might ask your sister has she read Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), visited Steve Hassan's website, or visted JWN? Steve Hassan's latest book might help your sister the most because of her relationship with her husband.

I live in Ventura County.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

There are quite a few of us in Los Angeles. Maybe not Hollywood but we're scattered about

• 00DAD
    00DAD

mrjdmelendez: I want her to know that she is LOVED, and that love is not conditioned to a belief system.

It's not love if it's conditional!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story.

00DAD

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I'm flying into LAX Monday, wha. I'm the Magic Man, now you see me....now you don't!

• I quit!
    I quit!

Hi mrjdmelendez. Welcome to the board.

Some of are getting together tomorrow for in Sunset Beach (between Huntington and Seal Beach). If you are interested PM me for the details. That goes for anyone else in the area who would like to come.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Rain or shine?

• darthweef
    darthweef

Welcome on board. I live in Riverside ... hang out in LA/Hollywood quite a bit .. also gay. I was going to mention if you are on Facebook there is a great group for ExJW GLBT .. if you are not already a member...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/37475079005/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit