LA Times: Many researchers taking a different view of pedophilia

by AndersonsInfo 27 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

"Not all pedophiles molest children. Nor are all child molesters pedophiles."

This is an important article, and the above quote a major step in helping control the problem. Pedophiles are not necessarily abusers. They need to be encouraged to come forward for assistance in controlling their urges, which is not something they want to have and must be a great burden to carry through life. Yet the stigma suffered means they are unlikely to openly admit to such a problem and get the help they need.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

james woods

A first offense must never happen. Thats where we need to get

• AGuest
    AGuest
    They need to be found and locked up at the first offense.

And just exactly when is that? Something I think MANY people overlook is that many of them don't make their first offense as adults. MANY children are molested... by other children. Of course, society blows it off as "they're just exploring." At least, that's what was said of a little boy of 10 I know with regard to the little girl of 3 he was... "exploring" with. And a couple of boys I know of around age 10-11 were doing with another boy of 6 and girl of 5. And a couple of boys age 12 and 14 did were doing with a girl of 6. "Exploring."

When does it become an offense? And what should be done when the "offender" is himself/herself a child?

Not all child molesters are adults. In fact, most probably aren't.

A doulos of Christ,

SA

• Lore
    Lore
    they can go to a therapist, in this instance, in Germany they offered help.

If this article is correct, then a pedophile going to a therapist would be no more effective than a homosexual seeking conversion therapy.

• tec
    tec

Good article.

I think, Lore, that it is not about changing sexual orientation (not going to happen), but of getting help so as not to act upon it in the first place.

Peace,

tammy

• Lore
    Lore
    I think, Lore, that it is not about changing sexual orientation (not going to happen), but of getting help so as not to act upon it in the first place.

Ah.

Well that's probably right then. More like an alchoholic attending AA meetings. The urge does not go away, but they learn to suppress it.

In that case I agree, some of the stigma will have to go away surrounding the pedophile orientation before they can start seeking help.

If someone finds out you are attending AA meetings to combat your alchoholism, they'll likely give you a pat on the back and tell you to stick with it.

If someone found out you are attending PA meetings to combat your pedophilia, they'll likely assemble the torches and pitchforks to lynch you.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The recidivism rate for pedophiles suggest they have little or no impulse control. There are medications and surgical interventions. Society is not going to change any time soon. I assume that professionals would treat it dispassionately. If I knew there was about aa 98% chance that i would harm a child, I would swallow some pills or undergo surgery.

Why is the impulse control so weak? How many pedophiles do not act? It seems far worse than alcholism or drug addiction.

Children molesting children is a very different situation. An adult is expected to conform to society. Teenagers are proven to not have full brain development. The criminal law recognizes this by having two separate systems for juvenile offenders and career criminals. I suspect that abused children know how to brutalize others. I do expect a forty year old to have different conduct from a twelve year old.

Isn't it a bit strange that people who are abused either seem to never hurt their children or brutalize their children even more. It is scary.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Children molesting children is a very different situation. An adult is expected to conform to society.

So, let's see... molest, molest, molest (you're only, what 10... 12... 14)... oh, wait, you turn 18 tomorrow: better stop now.

We worry that little kids who torture and kill helpless kittens might grow up to be criminals, even killers... but kids who molest other kids? Nahh, nuthin' wrong with them. That should make the kid who was molested feel better about it. I mean, I don't know if it matters to a victim how old their violater was. Maybe. Maybe not. Probably depends on what the "grown ups" TELL them, right?

Let me share something with you that apparently your education didn't teach you. I once was an Executive staff member of a non-profit that did drug and alcohol counseling for youth. Now, under usual circumstances "youth" denotes kids from about age 11-12 to 18-19. Our clients? The oldest was 23. The youngest... was 6. Yep, six.

Children can be born with all manner of genetic predispositions. Including drug and alcohol addiction, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, sociopathy and psychopathy... and, according to this report... pedophilia. If we would undertake to help a child born addicted to drugs/alchohol... why in the WORLD would we WAIT until adulthood for a child predisposed to pedophilia?

Nevermind. I forgot who I was addressing.

Some of us don't want to see... can't look at... the reality of some of our culture's/society's children. Then we grab our heads and moan "How did this HAPPEN?!" when a kid shoots up a school. He's only a monster AFTER he's do so. Perhaps he wouldn't have DONE so... if...

A doulos of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit