LA Times: Many researchers taking a different view of pedophilia

by AndersonsInfo 27 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

This part is so important:

Most pedophiles, however, don't receive any attention until they've been arrested.

In an attempt to change that, sex researchers in Germany launched an unusual media campaign in 2005.

"You are not guilty because of your sexual desire, but you are responsible for your sexual behavior," said billboards urging them to contact the Institute of Sexology and Sexual Medicine in Berlin. "There is help! Don't become an offender!"

• finally awake
    finally awake

I read that article and thought about the implications. Not too long ago, similar articles were being published about homosexuality and how that appears to be hardwired from birth. The difference, of course, is that sex between consenting adults doesn't hurt anyone. I don't know how to solve the problem of pedophila, whether it's caused by nature or environment. The urges of adults, no matter how powerful, cannot be allowed to destroy the lives of children.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Purps - that sounds nice - but do you REALLY think these people are going to just come in to the police and report themselves?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I thought a biological basis has been accepted for all the decades I've been alive. Why would anyone choose such a fate? I feel sorry for people with the disorder. Atho I feel sorry for them, they have no right to ruin innocent children's lives. Of course, some fundamentalists will never accept a biological basis.

No other group of criminals repeats its offenses so frequently. The numbers are staggering. It is not something that WT lit or KH can cure. Ever.

Does anyone have any ideas about forcing convicted pedophiles to be surgically fixed or have chemicals injected into them to lower their sex drive?. I'm not surprised that attraction to children exists. They seem to have no control over their impulses. If I knew the statistics and were attracted to children, I would want to be prevented from harming children. I am intersted in what others think, though.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

they dont have to go to the police.....they can go to a therapist, in this instance, in Germany they offered help.

Being a pedophile does not mean you are a child molester/rapist/abuser.

If we don't let people freely admit they have this pre-disposition, without repurcussions, I have read so many forums where they are

begging for help, there are people that will not act on their desires because they do not want to harm a child.

• james_woods
    james_woods

It is a very nice way to look at it, Purps - but I am not quite so forgiving of human nature after 63 years on this planet.

They will usually do exaclty what they are predisposed to do.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

When we find out what they are predisposed to do, it's too late, they have already harmed a child.

We really gotta change how we handle this.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, maybe so, Puples - but I somehow just don't think they are going to turn themsleves in and the magically respond to "talk therapy".

These people are what they are.

They need to be found and locked up at the first offense.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The age of consent is arbitrary, like the drinking and voting age.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Six years old, KurtBethel?

Really?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit