Dunkin Donuts........... is anything made there anymore????

by DaCheech 27 Replies latest social relationships

• FatFreek 2005
  • Apognophos
    Apognophos

At least as of a year or two ago, they were still baking in my local Dunkin' Donuts. A disappointing lack of variety, though. But getting one of their bagels hot and fresh was a great experience when I once stood around waiting for them to finish a new batch.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I haven't been into donuts in decades, but I have bought some bagels from there which were still warm, but have no idea if they bake there own donuts, the Dunkin Donut in my nabe also sells Baskin Robbins, so that's my only reason for going there.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I remember going to Dunkin' Donuts, many many many years ago. I would sit at the counter and get the coffee and a donut.

At one time, they had a lunch offer - a bowl of soup, a slice of bread, a donut and coffee for $1.25. That fed me many times. (Those were my lean years)

Dunkin' Donuts was the place that I took my first girlfriend... I guess it was our first date. We walked over to Dunkin' Donuts from the local junior college.

I also recall sitting at the counter one time, and a scraggly fella walked in. He looked like he hadn't shaved in a few days. His hygiene also wasn't the best. He sat at the counter and got a coffee. I figured him to be one of the homeless people who lived outdoors.

After a bit, he got up and disappeared into the back - whereupon he proceeded to make the donuts.

I had to think twice before getting donuts there again.

Regards,

Jim TX

• talesin
    talesin

At least around here, the chains like Dunkin' Donuts and Tim Horton's, decided to centralize their baking. So if 5 DD stores are owned by the same person/group, all the baking is done in one store, then shipped via truck to the others in the wee hours of the morning.

That eliminates the cost of having a paid baker in each store. It's all economics. All those franchises use mixes anyways,,, I'd say 'support your local bakery'. It's more expensive, but you're less likely to have MSG and other preservatives added to the food, and if it's an occasional treat (I know it's expensive to raise a family nowadays), the cost isn't too prohibitive.

xo

tal

• talesin
    talesin

PS... Happy New Year! :))

• undercover
    undercover

Dunkin Donuts are baked, Krispy Kreme fried. And if you're from the South, the KK is dounut of choice (except for local shops that make similar styles)

I can tell people who weren't raised on KKs... they actually call the donut Krispy Kremes. Their trademark donut is the 'glazed'. If you go into a store and order, you say, "Gimme a dozen glazed and a dozen mixed" (mixed being the chocolate covered, creme filled, sprinkled whatever).

The glazed are really only good when they're hot. That's why they have a sign that lights up when they're coming off the conveyor that says, "Hot Doughnuts Now". The other styles are okay cold I guess. I never eat those.

• Glander
    Glander

Donuts are not baked, they are deep fried.

Years ago a client came to me to layout his proposed donut shop. He had signed a lease in a strip mall for a small shop that had previously been a shoe store, i.e. it was going to be very expensive to bring in the required power, ventilation, etc. to make it a donut shop. He was determined to make the best donuts ever and he even mentioned going into franchising after he perfected the business model.

As we discussed his plans I became aware that he had never cooked a donut in his life. Toward the end of the meeting he asked me if I could help him find a good recipe.

I asked him if it was too late to get out of the lease.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

RE: Dunkin donuts being baked -

Well, I don't know about where you are, but I believe that Dunkin' Donuts are fried in oil.

As a matter of fact, in 2000, when I was just getting started making my bio-diesel, I went in to a local Dunkin Donuts and asked the fella behind the counter if they would give me their used oil. He told me that they didn't change out the oil in the vat except once a week. I gave him my phone number, and on Saturday I got a phone call from him to come get about 5 gallons of used donut oil.

I processed my first batch of 5 gallons of bio-diesel using donut oil. Can you imagine that smell coming out of a tailpipe? It's marvelous. I wanted donuts - and so did anyone sitting at the traffic light who got a whiff of it.

• undercover
    undercover

hmmm.. I was always told DD donuts were baked. Okay they're fried, but they're fried different somehow. I'm not an expert on their operations (obviously ) but I can tell the difference in eating them. DD is more cake like than KK. A hot KK glazed melt in your mouth, no chewing required hardly. Maybe it's just the composite of the 'bread' or whatever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit