what is the earliest age you heard someone get Baptised?

by enigma1863 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Juan Viejo, why did you get baptized so young? I waited until I got older and lived with the guilt of "holding back" or "You know it's bad and not being baptized won't save you, your gonna die!"

I think I held back getting baptized because of responsiblity and I had the mind set of the heavy metal crowd "I don't want to go to heaven because all my friends are going to Hell!" I changed my thinking now but I was a stupid teenager!

• confusedteenager
    confusedteenager

I got baptized at 12, completely sure I was doing the right then...but it's funny because I think back to it, even my father had told me to wait. He wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it just because other youths in the congregation were, and he wanted to make sure I was ready.

I should have listened to him.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

6 year old baptized, as documented in the Watchtower (per Blondie).

Soon they'll need to start "sprinkling" for baptism as the Catholics do.

Anyone younger might drown if fully immersed.

Doc

• ndmom73
    ndmom73

9 is the youngest that I remember. I remember feeling so bad about it because this young person had some disturbing things going on his life and I felt that besides being only 9yrs old they were taking advantage of his vulnerability by letting him make a grown-up choice at a very difficult time. I had the sense as a young teen to know it was wrong and it still angers me that the adults just turned a blind eye. Manipulation at its best.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Arboles - I remember hearing that talk, too, using Samuel as an example to justify 5-year-old baptism. I used to buy into that warped thinking, too.

Now I look at my grandchildren, aged between 4 and 8. They are just in the process of forming ideas about god and the universe, developing their critical thinking skills. They are susceptible to what others tell them, too, because they simply have not had time to be exposed to different ideas. Expecting them to make a decision to choose a particular form of faith that will completely shape the rest of their lives is ridiculous, particularly given the consequences of changing your viewpoint.

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

I was baptized at 11.

The youngest I ever heard of was Larry Graham (yes, that Larry that converted Prince) bragging about his daughter getting baptized at 5 and I believe a reqular pioneer by 7 or 8. It was a really gross interview conducted by a CO who had his head completely up the Grahams and Prince's ass. The interview was just a huge brag-fest about Larry's Carribean adventures and then how he got a call "from a certain young man" asking him to move to Minnesota and teach him the Bible. The part was so gross it caused stirrings all over the state. The CO was transplanted from his cushy Big City circuit to a rural circuit in Arkansas soon after, instead of following the rotation they usually did. I think it was punishment!

NR

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was 8

Coffee

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

About 5 years ago, a very prominent elder gave a talk specifically targeting young people. He said that 10 is not too young to get baptized.

Baptisms at a young age are encouraged in the org. A fellow poster on this thread pointed out that we woun't allow a 9 or 10 year old to drive or get married, yet its ok for babies to get baptized. What a farce! I have what this organization does to people especially children.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

correction: I hate what this organization does to people...

• ThisFellowCheap
    ThisFellowCheap

I was dunked at 9. Was already an atheist at 7, then did my dedication to Big Jay at 13! Funny sequence, right? 10 years after, DFed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit