Republican Party is pretty much done!

by free2beme 49 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It seems that many former Jw's go through this. I did. I still am finding my way almost 10 years into my exit.

I find that on most issues I am moderate. I think both parties take strong stands that are unbalanced in some ways. There are moderate positions on almost all issues that are not all or nothing. I embrace fewer conservative issues than liberal ones now - but like you, my initial voting and leaning were toward Republicans. I don't fit cleanly into any of the main parties - but my absolute opposition to gods and magical thinking takes most of the Republican ideologies out of the game for me. If there was a god, I would be thanking him profusely that Mitt and the magic underwear cabinet did not win this election. I support gay rights, the need for population control and birth control, alternative energy. I also believe in the 2nd amendment and gun ownership - though I think it needs to be addressed nationally.

Isn't it great to be able to think and express those thoughts. I believe that in some ways former cult members make better citizens because to us it was not always allowed. We tend to think it through instead of just voting absentmindedly like millions do who never had the right usurped by the GB.

Jeff

• Pterist
    Pterist

Sir82 *** I would have to think, for such folk, "Mormon" is the lesser of 2 evil****

Well, what are the facts, the President has been in power for 4 years, do we see Sheree law coming from the federal government. The Prez.has been the best "Republician President" we ever had..LOL, to the lefts displeasure !

Conversely, the Mormon religion espouses "dominiumism" as does the far righ Christian evangelicals, Would you like another RCC dominating politics and your moral values in your life ?

We can see the effects of human theocracies, early Christians had NO political aspirations. The apostle Paul used his Roman Citizationship to spread the gospel, not be part of the "Beast"

Shalom

• moshe
    moshe

yes, AK-j we former JWs do look at things differently- here is a story that was not reported by the mainstream news media--

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/21/can-you-guess-how-many-straw-man-arguments-were-in-obamas-speech/

--10 strawman fallacies were in Obama's inagural speech.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Really? I'm not as well read as I should be, but I don't recall reading anywhere that his religion had any effect on the outcome. Do you have any sources which indicate religion played any sort of role?

I do not have any polling results, or other statistics. It is just my own feeling - and I know several people who were sick of Obama but voted for him anyway because of this issue. Note that polling may not give accurate answers to it anyway - this is something people could easily lie about.

In my opinion, the same people who would be disinclined to vote for someone because "he's a Mormon" are pretty much the same people who believe "Obama is a Muslim". I would have to think, for such folk, "Mormon" is the lesser of 2 evils.

It is NOT at all the equivalent thing. It takes a 9/11 truther, or a birther, to really believer Obama is actually a secret Muslim. As has been mentioned, he had 4 years in the office and had not really done anything domestically that was pro-muslim. Romney was an unknown quantity.

My point was that it is time for the Republican Party to begin distancing themselves from the fundamentalist viewpoint...in today's demographics this position is losing many moderate votes that would otherwise go to the GOP.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Talk about strawmen

I don't think Romney woulda done any less

for me I had to choose what was best. what

was not best for me was some of the things the republicans

wanted to do

• james_woods
    james_woods
    what
    was not best for me was some of the things the republicans
    wanted to do

I was taught in civics class that people really should vote on what is best for the country, not on "what is best for me".

Maybe that is not holding true any more.

• moshe
    moshe
    I was taught in civics class that people really should vote on what is best for the country, not on "what is best for me". Maybe that is not holding true any more.

We won't have to wait long to find out--

• wasblind
    wasblind

I was taught in civics class that people really should vote on what is best for the country, not on "what is best for me".

Maybe that is not holding true any more._______James Woods

It's still true James

What's best for the country is people who can prosper

because those are the people who can contribute to the good of the country

• james_woods
    james_woods

Very true, Wasblind.

But NOBODY will prosper unless the deficit and debt are controlled. If they are not, in time we will be like Greece.

I did not hear ANY serious intent on the part of Obama in the speech yesterday to do anything about either.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I respect your view James. like presidents in the past

Obama is doin' what he thinks should be done while in office

and the one voted into office BY the people, gets to represent the majority vote

And he is Supposed to represent all the people as a nation even though some don't except his policies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit