Brilliant Robin Williams Quote

by Amelia Ashton 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

The loneliest place on the planet for me was the Kingdom Hall.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

There are many, many people that can relate to that feeling.

Self admission: once as an elder a sister came to me to tell me she enjoyed my talk......I said thank you and asked if she was visiting. She looked at me strange and said "I've been coming here for over a year"

I was looking for a hole to crawl into. And I prided myself on knowing everyone.

I'll never forget how terrible I felt.

• mrsjones5
  • cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

And boy, can you feel alone in a kingdom hall full of people.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Thanks Amelia - great quote.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Awesome quote - I always felt invisible at the meetings.

Daringhart13-don't beat yourself up...almost every elder in every congregation that I attended would do the same thing.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I had been in the same congregtion 20 years before I went to Spain. We came back for a holiday a couple of years later and like the good little dub I was I went to the KH Sunday.

Although I knew every single person there, (no newbies in 2 years?!) I had to remind a lot of people who I was including elders. My children used to sign at the front odf the hall and I auxilliary piosneered a few times, held video evenings every Friday and my house was used regularly as a pit stop for those working the territory nearby.

I was always included in the rota for picking up elderly ones for meetings and field service (rarely socially though) so it was quite a shock I was forgotton so quickly and easily by the majority.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Ah yes, being alone in a crowd and feeling the "interchange of discouragement!"

And I thought most of you were going to talk about how if feels to be disfellowshipped and shunned. But your talking about feeling isolated among JWs even when you were in "good-standing."

Wow, just wow.

By the way, this quote is from the movie "World's Greatest Dad," written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait. It is Robin Williams' character, Lance Clayton, that says it, but it was most likely written by Goldthwait.

• scotoma
    scotoma

You all keep talking about "crowds" at the KH. Do you mean like "threes a crowd".

I don't see crowds at the KH anymore.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

It was quite a shock I was forgotton so quickly and easily by the majority.

Interesting comment, Amelia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit