Hello from North Dakota

by ndmom73 35 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" I look at my daughter as she is about to graduate from college, who has her choice of several law schools this coming fall, and I can't imagine anything in this world that would keep me from doing anything but encouraging and supporting her to be all that she wants to be. It is a great feeling but it also makes me wonder what my life would be like if only I had someone who would have given me the option of education."

I think about that all the time when I look at my kids. I try to be the mother I wish I could've had. I wish my parents would have stressed education instead of ignoring it and me. I was in gifted programs from grade school to high school but I truely thought I was stupid because my parents never told me otherwise. When a child is told they are stupid by their parents most often the child will believe it despite any other evidence.

You're in good company here ndmom. Welcome to the board.

Josie

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Welome, sounds a cold place to be.

• gone for good
    gone for good

Lisa Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! I was touched by your experience as a young one - it mirrors my own childrens youth to a Tee - I even have a grand-daughter who thanks her mother repeatedly for not raising her a JW, like her cousins. You are among friends now, so ahre and enjoy.

• ndmom73
    ndmom73

Thanks again for all of the warm welcomes. :) As I only have 10posts per day I can't answer individually but I am sure you understand that my heart is smiling to have found kindred spirits. :)

To verify, I am now living in North Dakota but I have never attended a Kingdom Hall here. I actually grew up in Cheyenne, WY and that is where we attended. I am not sure how many witnesses there are here where I now live, as they have only been to my home once. I let them know that my parents were disfellowshipped and I had no interest and I haven't seen them since. Maybe I am now on a list somewhere? lol

NoRegrets: I think bingo sounds like a much better plan and I do not even enjoy playing bingo!

As a young mom I did question if I should raise my daughter in the "truth" and even started a bible study for myself and my 1st husband with a young JW couple. We went to a few meetings and even an assembly. It definitely didn't feel right and all I acomplished was in getting my poor husband (now ex-husband) to question his Catholic faith. He is now an overly zealous born-again Christian who has allowed his religion to dominate his entire life and I will always feel guilty that I played a part in that. I have nothing against the concept of organized religion, but definitely do believe that all things need to be done in moderation.

I know many who have left the JW's don't embrace organized religion and I can completely understand that. There is nothing that disturbs me more than the feeling that religion, or politics, or anything to that sort is being shoved down my throat. At the same time, I do have some good memories of having a family of faith. I wanted my children to have those experiences without the crap that went with being a JW. I also feared that if I raised them with no faith that if they ever had a struggle in their life and didn't have a higher power to turn to that they would be even more susceptable to religions who prey on those who are struggling. So I searched until I found a church that felt right to me, that doesn't mean that I ever feel completely at peace in all of their beliefs, but more that I can feel good taking my children there and know that no matter what happens in their life they will feel accepted. When I sit in my church and can see an unwed mother up in front singing with the worship band and can enjoy a female pastor give a sermon on acceptance it makes me smile. I will probably never feel 100% ok with religion, I have a hard time praying on my own and in all honestly I rarely if ever do. For myself, I have came to the conclusion that I do believe in a higher power and since "He" is a loving and forgiving entity he completely understands my heart and lack of blind-belief. I am a good person, I have raised my children to be good people and for anyone who doesn't think that is enough well too bad for them. lol

A few years ago my 2nd husband passed away and in that time I was never more thankful for my faith family. The love and support they have given myself and my children has been given unconditionaly. My husband died from lung cancer and right before his death we found out his insurance was cancelled. We couldn't afford the Cobra payment and were beyond scared as to how he would receive treatment. Our pastor from church was in our home that same day with a checkbook in hand to write out the premium for us. Now obviously, my experience as a JW are only what I knew as a child and not as an adult but I do remember my dad having a work accident that almost took his life. We struggled for over a year while he went through surgery/recovery without the only income we had. I do not recall any support from the witnesses other than prayer which didn't give us food or clothing which was desperately needed.

I have four children, of them two are too young to have made up their mind about faith and they do attend church with me, my oldest as mentioned above goes to a liberal arts college and she has decided that she is a religious pluralist with her mind open to all faiths she is more about learning than practicing. My second daughter considers herself athiest. What a freeing feeling to know that your children are not afraid to express their individuality. Living in judgement is something that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

What makes me sad is that my mom who hasn't been a witness for over 20 years is still stuck in her own "hell" because she has not been able to let go of the teachings of the JW's. The few times she has attended church with us, she sobs through the whole thing. I have tried to gently get her to see that JW's are not the only path to a relationship with God if that is what she wants but it is so painful for her I don't even know how to help her. I have tried to direct her to websites to educate herself on the "truth" about JW's but she still lives in fear of what will happen to her if she reads "apostate" material. This is why I refer to JW's as a cult. Her feelings of not being worthy of God's love because she lives a life of "sin" come from years of being brainwashed. I wish I knew how to help her because she is so unhappy and she seems to sabotage any happiness in her life. She is a wreck, she feels bad for leaving the organization, but she feels bad for the abuse she gave us because she believed that was how she was supposed to discipline, she feels bad when she see's my children participate in activites that the JW's deprived us of, she feels bad that she has problems with alcohol, she feels bad that she smokes and does "worldly" things. Honestly, I just want to shake the guilt out of her but no amount of reasoning seems to get through to her. I have many friends who have switched religions and none of them have dealt with guilt of this kind. If anyone here has worked through something similar I would appreciate any tips on how to help her. Thanks again!

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

WELCOME!!

• ndmom73
    ndmom73

Mrsjones5: " I think about that all the time when I look at my kids. I try to be the mother I wish I could've had. I wish my parents would have stressed education instead of ignoring it and me. I was in gifted programs from grade school to high school but I truely thought I was stupid because my parents never told me otherwise. When a child is told they are stupid by their parents most often the child will believe it despite any other evidence."

I know exactly what you mean. I remember being in gifted programs and having a teacher ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up when I was about 8yrs old. I told her a "housewife." I can still picture the shock in her face when I told her that! She really encouraged me to think of other options and went as far as to talk to my mom about encouraging me to embrace my future education. You can imagine how quickly that was nipped in the bud! lol I have always told my children that college was not an option. It isn't just the education or the job possiblities, but to me the entire experience that goes along with it. I am also a huge believer in after school activities. I know exactly what witness children do, and not just witness children, children whose parents try to control them will most likely rebel in even worse ways than their parents can imagine. My kids keep busy doing things that they love, and those experiences have given them the confidence to shine in so many ways. I don't feel bad for what I missed out on but I do regret the choices that I made as a young person purely out of rebellion.

Thanks for the welcome, I am looking forward to getting to know you all more. :)

SlidinFast: Extremely cold today! -35 today with wind chills. One of the many reasons why I am thankful I work from home! No school today so we are all enjoying a lazy day. :)

goneforgood: " Lisa Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! I was touched by your experience as a young one - it mirrors my own childrens youth to a Tee - I even have a grand-daughter who thanks her mother repeatedly for not raising her a JW, like her cousins. You are among friends now, so ahre and enjoy."

Thank you so much for the welcome! The one thing that I stress to my children is that I don't resent the way I grew up. Everything happens for a reason and it is because of those experiences that I can be the mom that I am today. My children know that my love and acceptance for them is unconditional and that is not something I knew growing up although I am so thankful that I do have that from my parents today. I don't waste time feeling bad about my childhood, I know that my mom just did the best she could with what she believed as I am sure you did as well. I just wish that it was easier for some to make a clean break. Thanks again for the warm welcome, it is amazing to be able to share this with those that can relate!

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

ndmom73 - . . . Even though I didn't lose any family members, they all chose to leave the church behind, I still have a hard time connecting with others. I carry the baggage around and am thankful to have found this group. Hopefully in sharing with others here I can finally leave it behind. . .

Welcome ndmom73 and thank you for sharing your JW experiences.

What do you like to do that makes you very happy? If you do just one activity that makes you happy where you can meet more people, you can meet more people that you share a common interest. Asking simple questions about other people, makes them want to connect with you because you appear interested in them.

Have you read Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs") or visited his website? Reading Steve Hassan's books may help you resolve your WTBTS induced phobias.

Have you written Simon or Lady Lee about the issues that you experienced joining JWN? Since they are the administrators of JWN, they probably would want to know that people are having troubles joining JWN.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Hello and welcome Lisa, and to you New Sheep. I hope you both benefit as much as I have from the support and research on this forum. It's a good place to be. Sometimes I believe it takes a little while for your application to go through here, Simon and Angharad the owners, are busy people, but it usually works out ok. Looking forward to all you newbies posts.

Loz x

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome!

"Part of me wonders what in the world my mother was thinking. Why would you raise your child, especially your daughter to think that they shouldn't strive for all of their goals."

Just thinking back to the time that your mom bought in, she was likely convinced by the Fred Franz era prophecies of the end coming soon, and the promise of the "spiritual paradise" that would fix all the flaws in her marriage and her life. But the "spiritual paradise" is a scam. You were able to see through that, get out, and live a "normal" life. I wish I would have seen through the lies back when you did. Sigh. But for me, better late than never .

• Glander
    Glander

NDMom

Really appreciate all your comments. Thank you. I know your experiences are being read right now by someone, probably several someones, who are in situations that are trying their spirit.

Welcome

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit