"I just want to keep them alive."

by cedars 29 Replies latest social family

• cedars
    cedars

Does anyone ever feel this way when they see older family members (parents, grandparents etc) growing old or experiencing failing health?

Do you ever feel that you should be able to somehow keep them alive - and feel frustrated and hopeless that you can't?

Cedars

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes terribly. I think humans will conquer old age, but unfortunately (contrary to Aubrey de Grey) not soon enough for our parents or ourselves.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ending-Aging-Rejuvenation-Breakthroughs-Lifetime/dp/0312367074/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1358537778&sr=1-1

• hoser
    hoser

I feel sorry for such ones. Especially older ones who spent many, many years as jehovahs witnesses. I feel sorry for them for their life not lived to it's fullest. I can tell in my parents that there is a yearning to do the things that they missed out on. It is now too late. They are old.

As for your op question. I don't think I know the answer to that.

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, I can empathize with those sentiments. I think most people feel that way at some level - which is why we humans are such huge suckers for stories about divine intervention and everlasting life....we cling to such notions the way children cling to fairy stories about 'living happily everafter" even whilst surounded by contrary evidence...

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

slimboyfat - I agree that humans will surely one day figure out a way to slow down or even halt aging, but it's so frustrating to think that previous generations (and possibly ours) may "miss the boat."

Cedars

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Thomas Jefferson acquired a unique perspective on old age.

Jefferson thought everything had a purpose. For most of his life he was frustrated over an inability to determine a purpose for old age. When he got older he found a satisfying answer. Jefferson concluded the purpose of old age is to prepare humans for death. Apparently when the time came, he was ready.

I think there’s something to Jefferson’s take.

So many waste years of life and happiness because of fearing death. Little do they know that one day they’ll be ready. Or, at least that is often the case demonstrated by older ones like Jefferson.

Marvin Shilmer

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I have an aunt who is 90. She's a little spit fire. Worked up until a few years ago when her eysight went. She has beaten Lung Cancer Over 15 years. She's in remission from non Hodgkins Lymphoma... and had heart surgery almost a year ago. Never gives up. She's determined to reach 100. I think she will. I will miss her terribly when the time comes. She was never a dub. (her sister, my mom was, and she passed in 1977)

Coffee

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Cedars, I remember a time when I firmly believed my whole family would survive Armageddon and we would all be together in the new system. As years flew by, we all got older, then dad passed away suddenly a few months short of becoming a great grandfather. Last Tuesday I spoke with mom on the phone and she mentioned that an old single pioneer sister had passed away at 95...there was a silence and mom said 'we're all going that way...there is no escape'! I was quite surprised to hear my 79 year old pioneer mother say that. Usually it's 'the end is near or I can't wait to greet dad in paradise' . Not this time...I guess she must realize that there's a strong probability that she will know death. Today I realize that my relationship with mom was totally controlled by the cult and I wish just for a short moment I could talk to her heart, not her brainwashed mind before she dies.

• moshe
    moshe

Some years ago at a party, we were talking about the failing health of our parents, dementia, parkinsons, nursing homes, etc. My wife told us, "when I get old, I just want to die in my sleep", and I chimed in, "That can be arranged."-- I had to dodge a fist to the stomach!

• moshe
    moshe

Old age at the Bethel infirmary-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit