Another visit from the elders

by jonno12225 40 Replies latest jw friends

• BorgHater
    BorgHater

Ask them to read George Orwell 1984 better still buy the book and give it to them as a present.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

What do I think?

I think you're wasting your time and causing yourself undue stress.

Why do you even let them in the door? You're in control......let me repeat that.....YOU are in control.

Tell them 'no' or better yet..... completely ignore them

• SAHS
    SAHS

Whatever you do should be according to your own objective and self-integrity. Allow me to present the following three possibilities:

1. If you just want to avoid being disfellowshipped at all cost, then either

-- avoid the meeting altogether, or

-- allow the meeting, but be at their mercy and just give the standard "Sir, yes sir!" response to everything (it's okay to just switch your brain to the "off" mode in that case).

2. If, on the other hand, you don't really care about being disfellowshipped (or judged to be not an "approved associate" if you were never baptized) and the consequences that would entail, then

-- in that case, I would familiarize myself with all the pertinent issues relating to the trueness and authenticity of the Governing Body's claims of being the sole mouthpiece for God (right from Russell down to the latest change of the FDS comprising just the current GB) and let them have it from both barrels right in the face - BOOM!

3. The third option: if you want to be reasonably careful about avoiding being disfellowshipped/disassociated and want to keep your family together BUT you would also like to stand up for yourself and stand up for the idea of fairness, justice, and open-mindedness, then

-- in that case (which is the one I would be more inclined to choose myself), I would allow a brief meeting but I would just say to them something like, "Oh, and by the way, I was just wondering about a couple of things I was curious about that I thought perhaps you could shed some light on . . . ," and ask them, in somewhat of a matter-of-fact manner, about the missing Jesus in the April 15, 2013 Watchtower (I think that's the one) and also the change at the October 2012 annual meeting about the FDS comprising just the current GB, and, without raising suspicions or seeming dogmatic about it, just leave it up to them to give you an answer. This approach would at least give the elders, as well as your wife, something to at least think about; it would plant a little seed in their minds which they would have to come to terms with personally. If they ask you directly whether or not you believe that the GB is God's sole spirit-anointed organization, you don't have to answer either Yes or No but, instead, you could just say something like, "Don't get me wrong, brothers, I would certainly like to believe whatever the truth is, but to be honest I'm not absolutely sure given certain new technicalities I've become aware of, and I would welcome any thoughts you might have based on solid evidence." So, instead of just sticking your neck right out for them to chop it off, I would still give them something to think about - and put the burden of proof on them. If they really are intelligent and reasonable people, they should be able to offer you at least some little crumb of insight on these matters, and if (when!) they just end up putting their foot in their mouth, then, . . . . Voila!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Stay away from option 3 if you are looking to stay in undisturbed...

Even subble comments and question will immediately be considerend suspicious, and lead to further interrogation.

It would be as wise as being interviewed by the Gestapo and asking: " Oh yes, i love the third Reich. But isn't the USA a slightly better place to live in peach and prosperity?"

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Correction: ....." peace and prosperity"

• jonno12225
    jonno12225

Hey all my apostate friends. Well I did and didnt take your advice. I did meet with the elders with my wife too. They wanted to know my position regarding sheparding for my wife and attendance by my kids.

By Zeus I was bored!! Being an atheist I like to call all the lords names in vain

Its funny how just a little bit of knowledge goes a long way in witness land. Logical fallicies, inconsistant logic ect...

I really feel for my wife though, she feels I have morphed into another person (dare I speak to her about cult personality and real personality?)

but I tried to keep things ontopic for the most part, even trying to direct the conversation back to the support of my wife.

As for my kids, I am for the moment happy for them to attend and see their friends. I did make it clear that I would still be teaching them about different religions and holy books. Also those who have no belief like myself.

I mentioned that I would be disappointed if I heard from them statements like I am 'mentally diseased' or 'gangrenous'. To which the elders said where had I heard language like that. I said your own WT (Nov 2011 & Mar 15 2013)

I had an inward fist pump at that moment :)

One thing I realised is that my wife and the elders do not know how to defend their own beliefs from someone who know what they do. Any critique of an arguement presented is made into a acusasion of not agreeing with anything. When you have spent any amount of time reading how an arguement is constructed, with critical thinking skills included, you see how weak the premises is that they hold so dearly.

I didnt ask the questions about the GB as it was pointless

Anyway Im going to take all of your advise an love my wife, show her a good time, show her how beautiful life can be.

• Mum
    Mum

Good for you, jonno! I attended an elders' "meeting" many years ago. Their ignorant bullying and games with "good cop-bad cop" and twisting logic showed me once and for all that they were pathetic, sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigots (to quote someone in the movie "9 to 5").

From that day forward, I have been happy and free, learned to make my own judgments and choices without their "guidance" and furthered my education.

Regards,

SandraC

• itscrap&theyknowit!
    itscrap&theyknowit!

Good Afternoon, All! I haven't posted in a long while. Just been really busy. I got a call today to specifically READ this blog.

PLEASE, JONO 12225........CANCEL THIS MEETING!!!! I agree with many on this board, "it is the beginning of the breakdown of your family!!!! The next step WILL be divorce!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what is called "cleaning Jehovah's house". DON'T ALLOW THEM TO COME IN AND DISRUPT YOUR FAMILY!!!! I HAVE BEEN THERE!!!

You'd be so suprised how quickly your J-dubb family will kick you to the curb, throw you under the bus and, will swear you have been taken over by the demons. My husband had gotten so that, he felt EVERY MEETING the kids were going to attend with him or when he couldn't make it he'd TRY to have other J-dubbs just "drop by" to take my children with them!!!!! Best believe, that was put to a halt immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one COMES BETWEEN ME AND MY KIDS!!!!!!

The thing is, they have to have COMPLETE and TOTAL CONTROL! IT IS A CULT!!!!

I'm begging you...........BELIEVE WHAT YOU BELIEVE!!! WHAT YOU BELIEVE IS RIGHT!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR FAMILY OVER THIS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi jonno12225, I agree with other members who said don't meet with the elders. If you really want to fade with your family intact, I would recommend that you read Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave a Controlling Person, Cult and Belief"). Steve Hassan's latest book would probably help you the most now and you can buy it as an e-book through Amazon.com, so that your wife will not have to see you reading it.

What is most important to you? Proving to JWs that you are right, or saving your marriage and fading from the WTBTS.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

What DesirousofChange said. Avoid all argumentation with the elders about doctrinal matters with a 10 foot bargepole. It's like trying to describe colour to a blind person. Faahget about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit