The Oh-my-God Particle

by EntirelyPossible 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I thought this was really interesting and wanted to share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh-My-God_particle

The Oh-My-God particle was an ultra-high-energy cosmic ray (most likely a proton) detected on the evening of 15 October 1991 over Dugway Proving Ground, Utah. Its observation was a shock to astrophysicists, who estimated its energy to be approximately 3 × 10 20 eV (50 J) [ 1 ] —in other words, a subatomic particle with kinetic energy equal to that of a 5-ounce (142 g) baseball traveling at about 100 kilometers per hour (60 mph).

The particle was traveling very close to the speed of light - assuming the particle was a proton, its speed was only about 1.5 femtometers (quadrillionths of a meter) per second less than the speed of light, translating to a speed of approximately 0.9999999999999999999999951c. At that speed, in a year-long race between light and the particle, the particle would fall behind only 46 nanometers, or 0.15 femtoseconds ( 1.5 × 10 −16 s ); or one centimeter every 220,000 years. [ 2 ]

The energy of this particle is some 40 million times that of the highest energy protons that have been produced in any terrestrial particle accelerator. However, only a small fraction of this energy would be available for an interaction with a proton or neutron on Earth, with most of the energy remaining in the form of kinetic energy of the products of the interaction. [citation needed] The effective energy available for such a collision is the square root of double the product of the particle's energy and the mass energy of the proton, which for this particle gives 7.5 × 10 14 eV , roughly 50 times the collision energy of the Large Hadron Collider. [citation needed] [original research?]

Since the first observation, by the University of Utah's Fly's Eye Cosmic Ray Detector, at least fifteen similar events have been recorded, confirming the phenomenon. These very high energy cosmic ray particles are very rare; the energy of most cosmic ray particles is between 10 MeV and 10 GeV.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

i feel like i need to go back to high school and study math agian to understand that lol

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

This may help:

In physics, the electron volt (symbol eV; also written electronvolt [ 1 ] [ 2 ] ) is a unit of energy equal to approximately 1.6 × 10 −19 joule (symbol J). By definition, it is the amount of energy gained (or lost) by the charge of a single electron moved across an electricpotential difference of one volt. Thus it is 1 volt (1 joule per coulomb, 1 J/C) multiplied by the negative of the electron charge (1 e, or −1.602 1 76 5 65(35) × 10 −19 C ). Therefore, one electron volt is equal to 1.602 1 76 5 65(35) × 10 −19 J . [ 3 ] Historically, the electron volt was devised as a standard unit of measure through its usefulness in electrostatic particle accelerator sciences because a particle with charge q has an energy E=qV after passing through the potential V; if q is quoted in integer units of the elementary charge and the terminal bias in volts, one gets an energy in eV.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Just think about it this way. A single sub-atomic particle, probably a proton, hit something with the same force as a baseball moving at 100 km/h.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

why the name?(oh my god)

• caliber
    caliber

So what can we deduct from all this E.P ? my mind is swirling I feel confused

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

That we need to add more power to the LHC.

• caliber
    caliber

Large Hadron Collider... will this give a greater energy source for mankind or what ?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

It's a research facility. It's possible that discoveries in the LHC will lead to better energy sources. You know, besides that giant one pouring megawatts of energy onto the earth every second.

• caliber
    caliber

or maybe this ....

Physicists hope that the LHC will help answer some of the fundamental open questions in physics, concerning the basic laws governing the interactions and forces among the elementary objects, the deep structure of space and time, and in particular the interrelation between quantum mechanics and general relativity, where current theories and knowledge are unclear or break down altogether

Proving how God could live outside of time and space ? just joking hahahahahahaha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit