Something From Nothing: Richard Dawkins & Lawrence Krauss

by frankiespeakin 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Sound is nothing more than vibrations in a medium....

• james_woods
    james_woods

Then light is nothing more than vibrations in the aether?

(just kidding, just kidding...)

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Exaxtly, James! Next I shall explain how we know the earth to be banana-shaped and how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.

• caliber
    caliber

Sound is nothing more than vibrations in a medium

So the Big Bang was in fact a "silent event" then ? A light show only ! Less impressive than the fourth of July

• james_woods
    james_woods

Yes, in the sense of "sound" like that in air and water on earth you could say it did not exactly make a "bang".

Back on Lawrence Krauss - one of the points he discusses as a physics error in Star Trek and Star Wars is that for dramatic effect, they occasionally depict explosions in space as transmitting a noise.

• bats in the belfry
  • caliber
    caliber

From "nothing" or from "outside" our small spectrum of understanding ?

what is yet invisible beyond our spectrum of understanding ?

Truth is light but we cannnot see beyond our limited light

Here is the beauty of unseen ultraviolet light... (to naked human eyes )

• soontobe
    soontobe

I haven't read the book, but his explanation about how "something came from nothing" appears to make no sense. Quantum vacuum fluctuations and virtual particles aren't "something from nothing." They are "something from something." That something is a spacetime governed by existing natural laws.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I haven't read the book, but his explanation about how "something came from nothing" appears to make no sense. Quantum vacuum fluctuations and virtual particles aren't "something from nothing." They are "something from something." That something is a spacetime governed by existing natural laws.

I suggest reading the book ;)

His point is that what was once considered "nothing" actually has something in it, he gives it the proper name "Nothing", and that in fact, it's looking more and more like there is no such thing as absolutely nothing except in a philosophical sense. And, since we can't physically look outside of our spacetime, it's hard to tell what's out there.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Soon,

It all depends on the definition of "Nothing". The Nothing that physist talk about is not Nothing in the absolutist sense. Nothing is very unstable perhaps in the same way that nature abhors a vacuum. To have nothing there has to be something the two opposites pulling at each other kind of thing. Nothing acting as a vacuum on something and something acting as a vacuum on nothing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit