Something From Nothing: Richard Dawkins & Lawrence Krauss

by frankiespeakin 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
  • tec
    tec

I watched this a while back.

I liked the view of Dawkins I got in this. (leaving some of the dismissivness toward believers out of it) He shows how open he is to so many possibilities, and different forms of life, and different dimensions... he just is not much open to a creator in this.

He was more open than Krauss, if I remember correctly.

Nothing, vs, nothing... gets lost in oral translation.

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

The book is excellent, also.

Also, "Why does e=mc^2" by Bryan Cox.

• tec
    tec

Why does e=mc^2

That sounds interesting. Could someone without much of a math/science background understand it, on its own?

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

That sounds interesting. Could someone without much of a math/science background understand it, on its own?

Yes, in fact, in the intro, he is very clear that he keeps 90% of the math to no harder than the formula to figure out the hypoteneuse of a right triangle, a^2 + b^2 = c^2. In the few sections where the math does get harder, he tells you exactly how hard it will be and, if you want to skip it, exactly where to pick back up.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

One of the really interesting things in the book is that while we talk about the speed of light in terms of universal speed limit and causality, mathematically speaking, it's the speed of ANY massless particle, not just photons.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I liked his: "nothing" is very unstable explanation, that is about as simple as you can get, of course the math behind such an explaination is rather complex, and counterintuative because it is the sub atomic quantum world.

• tec
    tec

I am going to look for that book, then. Maybe both of them. My husband will probably be interested at the least.

Peace,

tammy

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I get a little bored over the "great illusion of design" and "god of the gaps" stuff that gets pushed on Christians. And I'm sure that the atheistic scientists get tired of the "everything denotes there is a God" argument. But there are still some pretty large gaps left for those who would dump God entirely from the equation.

Even in Christian theology, you get a lot of differing views about about matter and biological development. Some believe that matter always was -- like God -- and cannot be created. It can be changed, molded, transformed to energy and back, but for anyone or anything to be eternal, it or they, must have no beginning and no end. Thus, God is supposed to have created, or brought into being, the very matter He used to create the worlds and the suns.

• a watcher
    a watcher

In the beginning there was...nothing.

And then it exploded.

Right...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit