Homeschooling VS public/private schooling

by PSacramento 44 Replies latest social family

• soontobe
    soontobe

Lots of links in here:

http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2013/02/18/universal-preschool-is-bad-for-everyone/

Here are a couple of excerpts:

Women have been very vocal about not wanting to work full-time while they have kids . And we have recognized as a nation that our school system is out of date and a waste of time for kids . So why are we dumping money into an institution that does not meet anyone’s needs?

We need to admit that kids do not need to go to our schools to be educated. One of the largest education trends is middle class parents taking kids out of school. The most expensive private schools model a homeschool environment because kids can learn through self-directed exploration. They don’t need school.

Middle class parents recognize this and don’t want their kids to suffer through an antiquated education system that was established to educate kids to be factory workers.

Obama is pouring more money into the idea that kids need to be in classrooms in order to learn. In fact, kids learn better outside of classrooms. We already know this, we just don’t have the money to fund it.

School in the US is for poor kids . Underprivileged kids are the kids who have to sit through standardized tests when they should be playing . The movement in this country to get kids out of the standardized tests is solidly middle-class . Let’s have universal protests about the stupidity of school instead of universal pre-K. Let’s enable lower-income kids to have the benefit of being told their time is too precious to sit in school all day.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

I home schooled my daughter [Gojira101] at a teacher's recommendation because the schools in AZ are so bad that she wouldn't get the attention she needed because she was functionally illiterate [Slight dyslexia and comprehension issues] until age 9. So I started working with her and was using the 'Creation' book at her grandmother's suggestion. BAD IDEA! too complicated to teach someone to read. So I got a bunch of Dr. Suess books and started with the basics.

To get certified in AZ, to home-school, I had to go and take the same test that public school teachers take.

She worked hard and I'm so proud of her because... She took her GED at age 16. PASSED. Pioneered for 1 1/2 years then went to a technical college for Sign language interpreting. was an honor student had a 3.8 GPA

Now she is the newsletter editor of the state RID [Regional Interpreting Dept] board, but was just nominated for the secretary position on the board of directors.

Because of her training for interpreting and reading body language and gestures, she is now working on an article for JWStruggle. Sorry JJ if I ruined the surprise.

She has always been a great kid and has married a great guy [who has recently come out because of TTATT]

Point is: It CAN be done successfully

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Most of it depends on WHY you want to homeschool and IF it is the best thing for the child and IF the parents are committed, logical and focused.

The vast majority that I have seen homeschool their kids have been unsuccessful and I attribute it to the reasons why they chose to homeschool. It also depends on what you as a parent define as successful when it comes to home schooling and what you as a parent are defining as the goal for your own child. Sometimes your goals and the environment you create within that framework, end up lowering the bar for the child and their goals. The first question is why and then I think people should work from that point on. sammieswife

• Sulla
    Sulla

The vast majority that I have seen homeschool their kids have been unsuccessful and I attribute it to the reasons why they chose to homeschool.

Source? Or is it just the ones you have personal experience with?

I home schooled my daughter [Gojira101] at a teacher's recommendation because the schools in AZ are so bad that she wouldn't get the attention she needed because she was functionally illiterate [Slight dyslexia and comprehension issues] until age 9.

Exactly what I mean by catastrophe. There is no reason at all that publicly funded schools should have a problem with this sort of mild problem. Instead, they know they can't cut it. Bullshit. Lavish funding and can't even handle this.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

This thread was reminding of a commercial that i saw few months ago (why is it that the good commercials always get pulled and the shitty ones stay around forever?). I can't remember what the commercial was advertising, but it was talking about online college and how you have to "haze" yourself; so this big dude is standing in the kitchen and he opens a cabinet, then he walks back a few paces, runs full speed at the cabinet and smacks right into it then does a flip and smashes his head on the refrigerator......why do these good commercials always get pulled?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit