Gun Control, Alex Jones and Piers Morgan

by Amelia Ashton 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Piers Morgan decided to advocate gun control after Sandy Hook. That caused this radio host, Alex Jones, who has millions of listeners to create a petition to have Piers deported.

Piers invited Alex on his show to have a civil debate about guns. The fact that this interview actually made Piers Morgan the most tolerable person on TV for 14 minutes isn't even the craziest thing about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ror9v2LwHoY&feature=player_embedded

• cantleave
    cantleave

From the Guardian yesterday

Alex Jones: fierce gun advocate doubles as prolific conspiracy

Link to this video

Those familiar with radio host Alex Jones were not surprised by his fiery performance Monday night on Piers Morgan, where Jones called theCNN host a "hatchet man of the New World Order" during an impassioned tirade in support of the second amendment.

Fiery language, vehement diatribes and conspiratorial claims are Jones's trademarks, and have branded him as one of the most prolific voices of conspiracy in the US, where he hosts a radio show, has two websites and works as a film-maker. The information he distributes through these mediums coalesce under a theme of fear of the New World Order – an imagined group of powerful elites who are colluding to create a one-world, totalitarian government that will, in Jones's mind, inevitably take control if things like stricter gun laws happen.

That's why Jones, and a number of his followers, believe that the government orchestrated 9/11, the Oklahoma City bombing and the Tucson and Aurora mass shootings.

At the Bilderberg conference of international leaders in June, protester John Kopel said: "Alex has been, more than anyone by far, instrumental in waking people up to what's going on in the world today; the Bilderbergs, the destruction of our constitution and our rights, mass poisoning, mass vaccinations. He's done it all."

Jones's consistently emphatic tirades against the New World Order transcend political divisions, though his opinions often align him with the far right, and he styles himself as a libertarian. His opinions are united by fear, which can be seen on his website, where advertisements for doomsday gear dot the sidebars.

Alongside the water purification system and food reserve advertisements are campaigns for Jones's film, Strategic Relocation, which explains how people can relocate to safety in case of the New World Order takeover. Strategic Relocation is one of the most recent additions to Jones's filmography, which also includes Police State II: the Takeover and Fall of the Republic: Vol 1, the Presidency of Barack H Obama.

The mainstream media is another of Jones's enemies, but when CNN offered Jones the opportunity to speak about why he wants Piers Morgandeported from the US, he welcomed the opportunity to launch a red-faced tirade warning that "1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms!"

Morgan, struggling to get a word in, attempted to reason with Jones by saying that countries with stricter gun laws, specifically the UK, have have lower rates of gun murders. Jones agreed that the UK has a lower gun rate because it "took away" guns, but said the country has "hordes of people burning down cities and beating old women's brains out out every day." He then said Morgan was one of many British people fleeing its "total police state".

He railed: "Why did you get fired from the Daily Mirror for putting out fake stories? You're a hatchet man of the New World Order. You're a hatchet man! And I'm going to say this here: you think you're a tough guy? Have me back with a boxing ring and I'll wear red, white, and blue, and you'll wear your Jolly Roger."

Morgan responded to his interview with Jones on Tuesday and told Politico: "He was the best advertisement for gun control you could wish for.

"That kind of vitriol, hatred, and zealotry is really quite scary. I didn't feel threatened by him, but I'm concerned that someone like him has that level of influence," Morgan said. "There's got to be a level of discourse that can rise above what happened last night. It was undignified, unedifying."

Jones responded to the viral success of the interview by posting a YouTube video where he says that New York mayor Michael Bloomberg has a mafia out to get Jones. "If something happens to us, or we're killed by crackheads, it was the NYPD or mafia they hired," Jones said.

Jones went on CNN to defend an online White House petition that asked to "Deport British Citizen Piers Morgan for Attacking 2nd Amendment." The petition has received more than 100,000 signatures, far surpassing the 25,000 necessary to receive a response from the White House.

White House spokesperson Jay Carney addressed the petition and said: "The White House responds to all petitions that cross the threshold and we will respond to this one. In the meantime, it is worth remembering that the freedom of expression is a bedrock principle in our democracy."

• cantleave
    cantleave

Formatting has screwed up!

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Alex Jones to Piers Morgan "How many chimpanzees can dance on the head of a pin?" Got to concede that one, it's a tough question to answer!

• BroMac
    BroMac

Alex called Piers a Redcoat - Not seen him at our Butlins

• BroMac
    BroMac

thats him in the middle?

• mouthy
    mouthy

I saw the show & must say Alex ,should NOT own a gun in MY opinion,I think he is NUTS!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that interview did NO favours to gun rights advocates.

Alex come off as looking as the typical person you would NOT want to have a gun, much less all those he says he has.

Lets be clear that the US does indeed have gun control ( some) and that yes, in some places it needs to be much better.

That said, the majority of proposals I hear doesn't really deal with the important issues that would prevent mass killings.

Pierce mentioned mental health funding and they is THE element that is needed.

I understand the emotional issues in this and they are valid IMO, but they address the HOW and not the why, which i my view is far more pressing.

We alo need to address all the illegal black market firearms and there are LOTS of them !

Taking guns out of the hands of those trying to legally get them doen't make sense when you can't get the illegal ones off the streets.

• BroMac
    BroMac

I dont know Alex but I listened to the radio show for a while. I can see how he may appear to be NUTS and I cant argue how passionate he gets on his 'topics' but that should not cause anyone to think he is NUTS with a gun. He has owned and shot guns all his life, doesn't mean he is gonna shoot you or me anytime soon. If I were a Criminal there is no way I would go for Alex if you or me were the other option.

• jws
    jws

PSacramento wrote:

I understand the emotional issues in this and they are valid IMO, but they address the HOW and not the why, which i my view is far more pressing.

We alo need to address all the illegal black market firearms and there are LOTS of them !

Taking guns out of the hands of those trying to legally get them doen't make sense when you can't get the illegal ones off the streets.

The why can always happen and seems very hard to control as well. Right before Sandy Hook, a man in China went crazy in a school and attacked people with a knife, not a gun or assault rifle. By comparison, the number of victims was about the same. Only most of those were injured, not dead. Wounds can heal. Death is forever (despite JW beliefs otherwise).

The HOW is a BIG deal. And removing/banning certain types of weapons is a tangible thing. Mental health is intangible. Seems sometimes people just snap without warning or prior mental health issues. I'd rather they not have an arsenal at home when that happens.

As far as I know, most of these mass killings were from legally obtained guns. OK, the kid in Sandy Hook technically stole guns from his mother. But she legally obtained them and they were apparently available to this kid.

It's always deflection with the gun advocates. Instead of taking the most dangerous of guns and attachments off the street, they want to deflect to street guns, non-enforcement of existing laws, etc. Seperate issues. First, ban assault weapons and large mags. Then we can talk about these other issues.

Stop listening to the arms dealer propaganda spread by the NRA.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit