Did You Give Much $$$ To The Kingdom Hall And/Or Watchtower Society?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I was of course a regular contributor since I started earning my own money. Always contributed the value of the literature I took. When we built a new assembly hall we gave in the 1000s although that was a major part of our savings. However the past five years as an elder/JW i stopped contributing. A silent protest.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Minimus:

Even though I have a low opinion of religion in general because I feel they have a lot to answer for, churches of Christendom at least offer something to society. So I don't have as much of a problem with people giving to them.

Churches of Christendom have provisions for the poor (materially) and their premises are sometimes used for other purposes that benefit people in their communities.

In contrast, the JW religion is piss-poor as a humanitarian and has no such socially redeeming qualities or material benefits. And offering "free" bible studies doesn't cut it as a "benefit" as far as I am concerned.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

My ex and I used to give a decent amount of money back in the day. At the time, I even felt is wasn't enough. I wish I could get back every cent

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

What I have given over the last several years has been zero. When I found out in 2001 that The WTBTS was listed as a NY multimillion corporation, my donations became few and far between and mostly for the KH Building. Which was just as well as I was on a very limited budget.

However, the WTBTS was listed as the beneficiary on my retirement account. And basically, whatever property or valuables I may have had or acquired would have also gone to them.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

When the Watchtower changed their whole donation process, was when I stopped giving money to those greedy bastards. When they told me that I needed to pay for what I got, and then give all the money the householder gave me in return for those magazines. At the time I did not have a good paying job; I use to clean a bank for a living. Before that, what I did was when I was out in field service, I would tell the householder how much it would cost, and they would in turn give me the money for those magazines. I would then use that money to pay for the next set of magazines or books. But then they changed it and told me that I needed to pay for it, and then give all that money to them that I got from the householder, my alarm bells went off. To me it sounded like a money making scheme, and that it was going to take a chunk out of my wallet. I was already spending over $500 a month in fuel for my car. I was a regular pioneer, and got stuck driving around ALL FREAKING DAY LONG. After that point in time, the Watchtower did not get a single penny from me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit