What are the best questions to ask an elder?

by DarkFireWolf 40 Replies latest jw friends

• DarkFireWolf
    DarkFireWolf

So my parents cannot answer my question and are pretty much pushing me to go to the elders for an answer so I'd like to know what the best questions to ask an elder are.My first question is going to be the mediator one..And if he tells me it's the 144,000 or the anointed, I'll ask him to show me where it says that in the bible.What are some other tough questions for an elder to answer?Assuming we can get past the mediator one of course.I'm going to hold off on asking about new light or 607..

Also, has anyone ever asked about how Satan can cause WWI in July if he wasn't expelled from heaven until Christ became king in October?I haven't gotten much of an answer to that either.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I can give you the answer to the latter question. Not that I believe it, but if I DID believe it I would say that "Satan the devil was not prevented

from going back and forth from Heaven to Earth UNTIL 1914, before that he could travel between the 2 without any restrictions. As shown when he talked to Jehovah with the matter of Job in Heaven and also was upon the Earth tempting Jesus. So he was able to start the war prior to October since he could have been on the Earth the entire time. In 1914 he was cast down to the Earth and prevented from going back to Heaven"

Is there something wrong with this reasoning?

NJY

• Ding
    Ding

You didn't say if you're an adult out on your own or whether you're a minor still living with your parents.

If you can avoid talking with the elder at all, that's what I'd recommend.

He isn't going to satisfy you, and if you're not careful, they'll DF you for apostasy.

If you are a minor and have to obey your parents in this, I'd recommend writing out several questions and show them to your father.

Make sure he understands what you'll be asking and why.

I'd have him go along with you to the elder so he can see that you are being respectful.

If you are really fortunate, your father may see that the elder has no satisfactory answers.

That's my opinion.

Others here may think differently.

Weigh what everyone says before making decisions.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

What are you trying to accomplish?

If you want to get disfellowshipped you're on the right track. Just keep it up with questions like that.

00DAD

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Which soap is best for leaving no streaks on the windows?

Which side do you stand by a guest when offering them drinks as opposed to hor d'oeuvres?

Are you a pedo?

HB

• blondie
    blondie

Mediator....I could never understand how they said Jesus mediated only for the 144,000 since they applied 1 Timothy 2:5 to prayer and prayer should apply more than to the 144,000. The best thing is to stick to one topic. Show you want to clear up your confusion about there seeming to be 2 ideas conflicting. I would always ask how would I explain this to someone who is not a witness.

(1 Timothy 2:5, 6) 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all—[this is] what is to be witnessed to at its own particular times.

*** w02 7/1 p. 8 Worship God “in Spirit” ***

Is it proper to pray to Jesus’ earthly mother, Mary, or to particular “saints,” asking them to intercede with God in one’s behalf? The Bible’s direct answer is: “There is only one mediator between God and mankind, himself a man, Christ Jesus.”—1 Timothy 2:5.

*** w97 2/15 p. 28 Agreement Between “God’s Temple” and Idols in Greece? ***

Furthermore, in a very clear way, the Scriptures rule out the idea of praying to “saints” in order for them to act as intercessors with God. In his model prayer, Jesus taught that prayers are to be addressed to the Father only, since he directed his disciples: “You must pray, then, this way: ‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.’” (Matthew 6:9)

*** w80 6/1 p. 18 Praying to Jehovah so as to Be Heard ***PRAY THROUGH, NOT TO, JESUS CHRIST

11 How can we gain access to the great “Hearer of prayer”? He has appointed that this be through Jesus Christ alone. There is only one Mediator between God and men, and one High Priest, Jesus Christ. (1 Tim. 2:5; Heb. 7:25, 26) Jesus himself put it very explicitly, saying: “No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6) “Most truly I say to you, If you ask the Father for anything he will give it to you in my name. . . . Ask and you will receive, that your joy may be made full.”—John 16:23, 24.

• Splash
    Splash

Record your conversation so we can hear it!

Splash

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

There is no point in asking the elders questions. The only answers they will give you are found in Watchtower publications, you can find them yourself with the Watchtower Library CD, no other answers are official or acceptable. Either you accept the answer from the faithful slave or not, the only answers the elders can approve are the ones provided by the Corporation.

• krejames
    krejames

I had a visit from an elder last month. He asked me if I loved Jehovah and i guess I replied with a question, which I was genuinely interested in the answer to. I don't know if it's a question that would interest you too, but it was along these lines:

I had seen some graphic news footage of the Israeli bombing of Gaza, which included the corpses of young children together with footage of the Israelis celebrating because they felt they were doing God's will. The film disgusted me. This reminded me of what the ancient Israelites had to do to the nations they invaded - kill children, as well as adults and animals in order to "purify the land". I asked how I could love a God that demanded this. how does he love a God that demanded this genocide? I was expecting him to say how bad those nations were (they usually trot out the child sacrifice etc but this didn't apply to all of the nations as far as I'm aware so that just leaves pagan worship and immorality - something which happens in most present day nations). but he didn't really have an answer.

I also told him that my reaction to news reports of killings under Shia law. For example last year there was a report of a woman who was stoned to death by her family because she had allegedly committed adultery. Another woman was stoned to death after being raped (presumably because she did not cry out). Again, the report disgusted me (as I'm sure it did most people in the western world and probably most JWs too if they were honest). To me the death penalty seems disproportionate and extreme (this is close to home for me, as a gay witness I would undoubtedly have been stoned to death if I had lived in ancient Israel). But really none of this should disgust any Jehovah's Witnesses because that is exactly what Jehovah commanded. So JWs should endorse this. I said I found it hard to love a God who would demand this punishment. I asked him to suggest how I could get my head around this.

His answer? I need to read the bible, pray more and meditate. (later in the same visit he said I had no excuse because apparently I have a lot of Bible knowledge)

I don't know whether that helps. If you do ask your elder a question along these lines I would be genuinely interested in knowing what he says (as long as it's not pray, read the bible and meditate!).

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

They have no answers for real questions. All that can happen

is you will suffer . you are dealing with deluded cultists .

The only way you can win against the elders is by playing the GAME better

than them .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit