Anyone Else See Les Miserables?

by BizzyBee 64 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I went to see it today - by myself (Mr Bee is on a golf junket). I was glad that that I was by myself because I cried so much at the end, I wouldn't have wanted to be with anyone who wasn't crying - and that would not have been Mr Bee!

Les Miserables the current film is adapted from what is considered one of the half-dozen greatest novels of the past 150 years and one of the longest novels ever written. It encompasses

religion, politics, and society, including discussions of cloistered religious orders, the construction of the Paris sewers, argot, the street urchins of Paris, and theBattle of Waterloo.

The authors preface gives an overview of the dominant themes of the plot:

So long as there shall exist, by reason of law and custom, a social condemnation, which, in the face of civilization, artificially creates hells on earth, and complicates a destiny that is divine, with human fatality; so long as the three problems of the age—the degradation of man by poverty, the ruin of women by starvation, and the dwarfing of childhood by physical and spiritual night—are not solved; so long as, in certain regions, social asphyxia shall be possible; in other words, and from a yet more extended point of view, so long as ignorance and misery remain on earth, books like this cannot be useless.

While I give a thumbs up, it is not for everyone. Much of the dialogue is sung, there are only 2 - 3 songs that are recognizable, so it is not a "popular" type of musical. It has a fair bit of violence.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it in that it totally engaged me emotionally.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I went to see with my bf's mom and she said it was the worst movie she ever saw in her life. lol

Not my cup of tea either, but it was okay.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Loved it!! My teenage daughter is a big theater and music fan and has been waiting for months to see this movie so of course I took her and we both cried our eyes out.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I was disappointed to find out it was the musical.

I love the story, really enjoyed the Liam Neeson, Geoffrey Rush version. As well as the Frederic March, Charles Laughton version.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I'm just surprised to find out that in a weeks time from announcing your marriage hubby is off on golf junket already.

• SophieG
    SophieG

I just saw the musical on stage in November! 3rd row! It was awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing the film!

i heart Lea Solonga's version of I Dreamed a Dream!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MU9OWdIDGL4&feature=related#/watch?v=MU9OWdIDGL4&feature=related

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I want to see it, I have seen the play twice. I really got into the music, I had the CD before I saw the play. I agree it is not for everyone, but I really connected with Fantine, and the despair of " I dreamed a dream", it was right before I left the Jehovah's Witnesses, I could relate!

• gone for good
    gone for good

BB -

Thanks so much for including the authors preface - powerful words indeed!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I'm just surprised to find out that in a weeks time from announcing your marriage hubby is off on golf junket already.

Yeah, me, too, that rat-bastard!

Actually, we are both retired (well, he, semi-) and our lives are one pro-longed honeymooon, so I don't resent his trips with golf buds. We have been together for eight years, and he has given me a life I would only ever had dreamed of. We go to Cabo San Lucas together for a week next month (and again in May) and France in July.

He goes to Ireland with his golf buds in September and I have a couple of weeks all to myself, (which I love). I was single for eighteen years and having a husband who travels independently (or with me) is the best of both worlds.

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Mrs Smith and I watched it recently, and we both thought the sets, costumes, and acting were amazing. The singing however was verging on painful! Russell Crowe in particular was a shocker. There was also a scene where a girl is dressing up as a man and during the last note she holds in her song, me, and some people in front of us put our hands on our ears.

The whole singing-instead-of-talking-in-a-normal-conversation thing was grating on us by the end.

I reckon that if they used the same actors, sets, and costumes, and instead of singing everything only had three or four big songs, it would have been stupendous.

I'm intrigued that there is a Liam Neeson version. Might have to track that down......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit