How Modern Christianity has failed Christians

by Christ Alone 277 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Saying that Christianity is important to our society is not arrogant. And when did I ever say everyone that is not a Christian is a barbarian that needs supervision? I have made the claim and stick to it that the teachings of Jesus Christ have affected our modern society for he better and has been responsible for countless good things.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Christ Alone wrote:

We’ve got to train our kids for war.

I don't like the attitude you have expressed above & suggest reading the following:

http://www.limbicnutrition.com/blog/resources/a-code-of-conduct-for-effective-rational-discussion/

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    'More Christ' is exactly the problem. Matthew chapters 25-26 is all about world domination and the killing of billions of humans, it is simply unacceptable. Jesus perpetuates the geo-centric and astronomical errors of the Bible- 'foundations of the earth' 'and the stars will fall from heaven to earth'. Belief that the earth was fixed and unmovable and that stars were simply points of light in the sky not thousands of times larger than the earth.

And yet, it was Christ that lead the likes of Newton and Galileo and so many others....

ever heard of Joesphe Needham?

an atheist Sinologist (study of all things related to china) named Joseph Needham who was frustrated as to why science exploded in the west during the 16th-17th century and stagnated in China. At the end of his research he reluctantly admitted that the reason for this was the scientists in the west believed that the Christian God is a rational and orderly God that endowed this universe with orderly and harmonious laws.

"My colleagues and I have engaged in a rather thorough investigation of the concepts of laws of Nature in East Asia and Western culture. In Western civilization the ideas of natural law in the juristic sense and of the laws of Nature in the sense of the natural sciences can easily be shown to go back to a common root. Without doubt one of the oldest notions of Western civilization was that just as earthly imperial law-givers enacted codes of positive law to be obeyed by men, so also the celestial and supreme rational Creator Deity had laid down a series of laws which must be obeyed by minerals, crystals, plants, animals and the stars in their courses. There can be little doubt that this idea was intimately bound up with the development of modern science at the Renaissance in the West. If it was absent elsewhere, could that not have been one of the reasons why modern science arose only in Europe; in other words, were medievally conceived laws of Nature in their naïve form necessary for the birth of science?

Needham, Joseph The Grande Titration. U. of Toronto Press Toronto 1969 p. 35-36

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSacramento, the attendance numbers have been telling their story for some time. What can a mainstream church do? Become more fundamentalist?

Nope, they have to h ave the answers TO fundamentalisim.

Fundamentalists appeal to peole that either crave authority in their lives or crave answers and fundamentalisim has both ( whether they are correct is not the pont at this time) and moderate and liberal churches tend to try to NOT offend anyone and get their ass sore because they are on the fence.

I have seen fundamentalists taken to taks by RCC theologians in ways that left my jaw drop, it was a serious beating BUT we don't see a lot of that and we don't really see the orthodox and catholic and more moderate chruches AGRESSIVELY evangelising thier OWN flocks so as t give a good account of their own faith.

The best way to deal with fundamentalisim is to show that, traditionally, they are incorrect, to show that science and faith can and do exist together and very well, to show that the whole core of fundamentalist views are based on HUMAN doctrine and not biblical one.

• designs
    designs

The mind that conceived of the statements in Matthew 25-26 is more inline with what we know from a Goebbels or Stalin.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The core of Matthew 25 is summed up in:

The Judgment

31 “But when (Y) the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then (Z) He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be (AA) gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, (AB) as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep (AC) on His right, and the goats (AD) on the left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, (AE) inherit the kingdom prepared for you (AF) from the foundation of the world. 35 For (AG) I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; (AH) I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 (AI) naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you (AJ) visited Me; (AK) I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 (AL) The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, (AM) to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘ (AN) Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the (AO) eternal fire which has been prepared for (AP) the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’ 44 Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 These will go away into (AQ) eternal punishment, but the righteous into (AR) eternal life.”

THose that fail to take care of those in need of love and compassion will be judged and punished.

How is that like Goebbels and Stalin?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

ANd Matthew 26 is about Jesus' betrayal and the last supper...

You lost me there dude...

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Matthew 24 has the part about stars falling from the sky, etc.

• designs
    designs

PS- A human who thought he was God and who believed he had created a place of eternal punishment and the power to send people there.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    so also the celestial and supreme rational Creator Deity had laid down a series of laws which must be obeyed by minerals, crystals, plants, animals and the stars in their courses. There can be little doubt that this idea was intimately bound up with the development of modern science at the Renaissance in the West. If it was absent elsewhere, could that not have been one of the reasons why modern science arose only in Europe; in other words, were medievally conceived laws of Nature in their naïve form necessary for the birth of science?

Yeah, that's why the Greeks, Romans and Egyptians were so scientifically illiterate, because of the lack of a christian god.

Hawking's chair, what bloody arrogance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit