The Common Ancestry Thread

by cantleave 271 Replies latest members adult

• cofty
    cofty

More on pseudo-genes...

An obsolete vitamin C factory is not the only relic of our evolutionary past lurking in our genome. There are instructions in our design manual for all sorts of parts that our bodies no longer build. Consider for example our sense of smell.

We have a collection of proteins called olfactory receptors each one being produced by a different OR gene. Compared with other animals our ability to detect odours is poor, which should not really surprise us. We depend far more on vision than other animals. Nocturnal creatures in particular have exceptional smelling abilities.

Now if evolution is correct there was a time in our distant past when we must have relied on our sense of smell much more than we do today. If that were the case then you would expect to find evidence for it in our genes. Remember genes that are no longer needed suffer mutations with impunity but their remains can still be found as incomplete sentences in our ‘recipe book’ as pseudo-genes.

Geneticists Linda Black and Richard Axel won the Nobel Prize in 2004 for their work on OR genes. They discovered that humans have 800 such genes but fully half of these are inactive relics of our much smellier past. As our brain combines signals from a number of receptors simultaneously that means our sense of smell is only a fraction of what it once was.

What though of our closest relatives? Well not surprisingly there was found to be a direct correlation between the closeness of our evolutionary cousins and the number of active and inactive OR genes.

Why should dead genes show such a relationship if not for evolution? We carry this genetic baggage because it was needed in our distant ancestors who relied on a keen sense of smell for survival.

Clearly a mechanism that enables us detect airborne odours is not going to work the same under water. So what about aquatic mammals like dolphins? If they really were once land animals as evolution claims, there should still be evidence in their genome that they once had an acute sense of smell.

Not surprisingly the evidence is irrefutable, genes don’t lie. 80% of the OR genes in a dolphin are inactivated; hundreds of them remain in their genome as silent testimony to their evolutionary past. The DNA sequences of those dead genes resemble those of land mammals.

In other words dolphins have the instructions in their genes to construct the tools for detecting thousands of airborne smells. This makes no sense if dolphins were specially created.

Obviously the receptors that detect odours in water are different from those that work with airborne smells. In fish we find one kind of OR genes and in amphibians and mammals there is another.

The most primitive fish still alive today is a jawless fish called Lamprey. Fossils of these creatures 320 million years old bear a very close resemblance to it’s modern cousin. When the DNA of the lamprey is studied it turns out their OR genes are neither air nor water specific; they combine features of both. These creatures arose before smelling genes split into two types.

Like all our other genes our OR genes for odour detection tell a story of our species’ past. They are similar to primates, less similar to other mammals, less similar still to reptiles, amphibians and fish in that order.

• cofty
    cofty

EP has mentioned something about chromosome 2 already, its a very compelling piece of evidence for our common ancestry with primates.

I posted something about it on the defunt JWs forum a while ago so I will post it here again rather than let it get lost...

All primates have 24 chapters (chromosomes) in their book, The Complete Guide to Building a Primate; we humans are unique in only have 23 chapters in our book. This appeared to deal a fatal blow to the idea that we shared a common inheritance. If we had lost a whole chapter from our recipe book it would have been fatal for our species. If we always had one less chromosome then we could not have evolved from the same ancestor as primates.

Within the past decade the complete genome of chimps was decoded and for the first time and could be compared letter by letter with our own. It was discovered that the overall similarity between the two books was extremely close. Twenty-two chapters corresponded almost exactly but there was a glaring exception. In the human genome the second largest chapter had no equivalent in the chimp book and the chimp genome had two shorter chapters left over.

When the two remaining chimp chapters are put together end to end they are a match for the spare human chromosome! In other words, uniquely in the human line of evolution, two shorter chromosomes have become merged into one longer chapter to form what is now human chromosome 2.

There is one last, and quite extraordinary, piece of evidence to share on this topic that seems to put it beyond dispute. At both ends of every chromosome is a piece of text that has no purpose whatsoever other than to protect the first few words of meaningful code. Think of them as being like the little plastic bits on the end of your shoelaces. They are called telomeres and in fact the exact code is the letters TTAGGG repeated about two thousand times. This piece of text is only found at either end of chromosomes.

Now if it is really the case that two primate chromosomes got stitched together to form human chromosome 2 we would expect to find two of those telomeres right in the middle of the chapter and that’s exactly what was found. In every cell in your body, right in the middle of chapter two is an odd piece of text that testifies to our origins.

Regardless of our personal incredulity, the proof that our species is not in fact a special creation is written in every one of our billions of cells.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Cofty...utterly brilliant posts. Bravo, mate!

• cofty
    cofty

If I could start again I would study genetics - I find it fascinating.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I think I would go for particle or astrophysics if I could start over.

• cofty
    cofty

This example is not about human genetics but it shows how genes are not species specific.

The variety of finches on the Galapagos Islands was a mong the many sources of inspiration for Darwin’s ”Origin of Species”.

Some of the birds had sturdy beaks perfect for cracking open seeds and nuts, others were more delicate and suited to a diet of insects while some had long narrow bills that could reach the tiny seeds of cactus.

Darwin wondered whether all of these various species of finch might not in fact have originated from a single population. It took more than 20 years of meticulous study and experiment before he was prepared to publish his conclusions.

Darwin had no way of knowing what possible mechanism could result such variety. It is only in recent years that the question has been definitively answered.

Recently Arhat Abzhanov and Cliff Tabin, both of Harvard, pinned down the very genes responsible for controlling the shape of finch beaks. They discovered that when the gene responsible for producing the protein BMP4 was activated in the jaw of a developing finch embryo it makes the beak deeper and wider. If another gene is activated, this time the one that produces colmodulin, the same finch grows a long narrow beak.

Thousands of miles from the Galapagos, in the lakes Victoria in Africa’s Great Rift Valley, 500 species of cichlid fish have similarly evolved from a few original ancestors. Like Darwin’s finches they too have evolved a variety of methods of exploiting their habitat. Some have densely packed teeth suited to pulling and scraping at plant matter, others have thick powerful jaws for crunching through snail shells. When their genome was analysed, guess what gene turned out to be controlling the development of their jaws? BMP4; exactly the same instruction hidden in the chromosomes of the Galapagos finches.

In the words of geneticist Matt Ridley – “ What better evidence for Darwin’s belief in the commonality of all species than to find the same gene doing the same job in birds and fish, continents apart

• cofty
    cofty

I think I would go for particle or astrophysics if I could start over.

Brian Cox has done a lot to change the dull image physics had previously. I loved physics at school.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Bryan Cox (I am currently reading his book, "Why does e=mc^2"), Neil Degrasse Tyson, Michio Kaku, Lawrence Krause, Phil Plait, Hawking, Sagan, Feynman....all great.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Neil Degrasse Tyson is a very interesting guy (even if Sheldon Cooper was pissed with him for "demoting" pluto)

• Heaven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit