The Common Ancestry Thread

by cantleave 271 Replies latest members adult

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Hey Sac,

""""If it was as big a flaw as you imply, with the humanoid eye being around as long as it has, wouldn't evolution have fixed that?""""

It will if we humans a product of evolution, evolve enough in technology and understanding so as to write DNA with the help of some super powered computer and correct design flaws/design inhancement I see it going in that direction.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Hey Sac,
    """"If it was as big a flaw as you imply, with the humanoid eye being around as long as it has, wouldn't evolution have fixed that?""""
    It will if we humans a product of evolution, evolve enough in technology and understanding so as to write DNA with the help of some super powered computer and correct design flaws/design inhancement I see it going in that direction.

Careful dude, you are almost implying that intelligent design ( or in this case re-design) is better than evolution, LOL !

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I'm not against intelligent design, there could be intelligence in design at any link in the chain of existance even in reoccuring loops thru out the chain.

• cofty
    cofty
    So eventually evolution WILL address the issue? - Psac

No. I just said the opposite

• cofty
    cofty

Frankie - that's fiction.

• still thinking
    still thinking

wouldn't evolution have fixed that?""""

When did evolution start 'fixing' things? Just asking.

• cofty
    cofty

Psac - I think you are committing the teleological fallacy.

Its easy to fall for the outdated myth of "The Great Chain of Being" with stupid white men perched at the top.

Evolution has no purpose - no end product in mind.

When we talk about design we simply mean the correlation between form and function.

Evolution won't reverse the sub-optimal design of the human eye because there is no selective pressure to do so.

The universe really doesn't care.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Evolution has no purpose - no end product in mind.

That is the thing I just couldn't get my head around when I started to learn about how evolution works. I didn't even realize I was assuming we were the end result.

It wasn't until I realized that there IS NO END RESULT. Just continued evolution. That I began to grasp how evolution really worked. I'm still learning. But it is making much more sense to me now. All the 'errors' that we find in evolution are easily explained by the process. Just like the laryngeal nerve. No competent designer would design it that way. In fact. If all these 'errors' were designed it doesn't say much about a god at all...other than he didn't know what he was doing.
  • cofty
    cofty

It's a key point we need to grasp to make sense of evolution.

Another equally common fallacy is essentialism or what Ernst Mayer called "The dead hand of Plato".

To Plato everything we experience is nothing more than shadows on the cave wall - imperfect copies an unseen, ideal reality. In Plato's world of "essentialism" all the shapes you could ever draw were mere representations of “essential” shapes; the essential triangle really did have angles adding up to precisely 180 degrees, parallel lines of the “essential” rhombus really did extend for infinity without merging.

According to Mayr biology has suffered from its own version of essentialism in which tapirs and rabbits are treated as though they were triangles or dodecahedrons. It is as if there was a perfect essential Platonic rabbit hanging somewhere in conceptual space along with all the perfect forms of geometry. Variation among real rabbits is seen as a departure from the correct form of the essential rabbit to which all bunnies are tethered by invisible elastic.

It is this error that leads to silly questions about so-called missing links and pointless arguments about species, genera and taxonomy.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Cofty,

True I indulged in a little fiction of sorts and you are right past and much of the present evolution this is the way things change but man being a product of evolution and then learning how to alter dna we would have intelligent design in that link forward for many species human being at the top of the list.

I would think that the trial and error phase of evolution perhaps could be done on a super computer and then once a good sequence was found it could be replicated and introduced into the speices. Shorter neck longer arms what ever is computed as benificial and astedically pleasing being options.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit