New Article regarding the Global Flood of Noah

by jwfacts 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bohm
    bohm

Another thing - about the greenhouse effect from the water. Is this still given if the entire atmospheric column is one cloud? Perhaps just focus on the lack of sunlight, toxic preasure and high temperature killing all life?

• BreathoftheIndianNose
    BreathoftheIndianNose

Great job Paul. I like your choice of youtube clips as well. Very effective reasoning with an in depth analysis of the genetic, geological, and biological facts. Still, perfectly crafted for the layperson. We will continue to point out any inaccuracies or contradictions if any are there to be found. But so far it seems bang on. Many will be helped by this article. Thanks again for your hard work.

Nose

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Very nicely done!

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

I pray to to God through Jesus a dozen times a day and plead 'not to let me hang in delusion' over the impossibility of a global flood.

At this time my stand is that is was a local event there are some good argumants for a local flood.

Peace,

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thanks for the comments, I will address them over the weekend.

I have just received this email regarding the article.

Honestly, with my little knowledge on the Bible, this is most ridiculous article I ever read that addresses on the same matter. The simple truth is: God’s servants before Jesus, Jesus, the disciples knew that the Flood in Noah’s day WAS A GLOBAL ONE, that is, the whole earth (the “world that existed at that time) was covered by “water”. 2 Peter 3:5,6 Living English Bible. Jesus himself said, (while foreseeing his coming to judge the whole world and comparing to the “world” of Noah’s day): “and they did not know anything until the deluge came and swept them all away” (Matthew 24:39) Jesus himself was clear: that ancient world “all around the earth” was destroyed by being drowned in water and on his coming he will judge the current “world” (people “all around the earth”) This ignorance of yours (or lack of a fair and deep knowledge) shows how biased you are and how misleading your website is, in addressing the issues that criticize Jehovah’s witnesses. Shame on you!

This is a point I will address in the article, as it is the main argument of the Watchtower. The Watchtower 2008 6/1 p. 8 Was the Flood of Noah’s Day Really Global? states:

" those who believe that the Bible is God’s Word, though, a global flood is more than a possibility. It is a fact. Jesus said to God: “Your word is truth.” (John 17:17) ... Not only did Jesus believe that the Flood took place but he also believed that it was global. In his great prophecy about his presence and the end of this system of things, he likened those events to the time of Noah. (Matthew 24:37-39) The apostle Peter also wrote about the floodwaters in Noah’s day: “By those means the world of that time suffered destruction when it was deluged with water.”—2 Peter 3:6."

As a JW, I had accepted that reasoning for why the flood must be global. However, reading it now it is very poor reasoning. Neither Scripture referenced says the flood was global.

Matthew 24:37-39 "For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark; and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be."

2 Peter 3:5-7 "For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice, that there were heavens from of old and an earth standing compactly out of water and in the midst of water by the word of God; and by those [means] the world of that time suffered destruction when it was deluged with water. But by the same word the heavens and the earth that are now are stored up for fire and are being reserved to the day of judgment and of destruction of the ungodly men."

Neither do the Scriptures have any indication the flood waters reached the highest mountains. Both can be taken as being local events, since the word "world" in Greek is Strong's G2889, which among other things can mean:

3) the world, the universe

4) the circle of the earth, the earth

5) the inhabitants of the earth, men, the human family

6) the ungodly multitude; the whole mass of men alienated from God, and therefore hostile to the cause of Christ

8a) the Gentiles as contrasted to the Jews (http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=G2889&t=KJV&page=3)

At Romans 1:8 Paul claims the Christian faith was being talked about throughout the whole world, when he states, "First of all, I give thanks to my God through Jesus Christ concerning all of ?YOU, because ?YOUR? faith is talked about throughout the whole world."

In this case, the word world could have only included the Middle East, as the message had not reached China, Australia or the Americas by that time.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Wow, so their argument is that the flood is as real as Jesus? Then Jesus must be as unreal as the flood? Do they not realize how their "all or none" logic would destroy every word of the Bible?

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Yep, "Shame on you!"

(for using your brain)....

• St George of England
    St George of England

An excellent article, the only problem is getting JW's to read anything 'apostate' i.e. contrary to WTS teaching.

I am ashamed to say that I believed in the flood, blame it on indoctrination and brain washing from birth.

George

• cofty
    cofty

Nice one, well done.

Science questions like this have potential to help some JWs who would not want to get into doctrinal issues or scandals.

• l p
    l p

My advice would be to try and write it like an academic article in that i mean any reasonings or conclusion deduced should be referenced to evidence supporting your claim. This way the article reads as though it is supported by evidence and not merely your opinions. Im not saying that in the article these are your opinions, but rather in text referencing shows that at certain points these statements are supported by evidence. It makes it harder for readers to critisize the article..then if they have a question on a certain claim, they can go to the reference and review that.

otherwise good article

Lp :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit