AWAKE! misquote concerning Higher Education

by DATA-DOG 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

This was new to me. Check it out. First, the article.....

AWAKE! 12/22/2000

Where Can You Get the Best Education?

"What sculpture is to a block of marble, education is to the soul."-Joseph Addison, 1711

.DID you ever go to school? Most people can answer yes-but not everyone can. As we enter the 21st century, untold millions of children are receiving no regular schooling. This has been true for a long time, so that today close to one billion adults are illiterate .Yet, a good education is a basic need. Rather than viewing it as an unachievable luxury, many today perceive it as a right of both children and adults. But how can a good education be possible without the proper resources? What if there are insufficient books, a lack of qualified teachers, and not enough schools?

Indeed, where can people get a quality education that encourages individual participation, expands their knowledge of the world around them, and provides them with spiritual values that can transform their lives? What education emphasizes wholesome standards of morality, shows how to achieve a better quality of life, and provides a solid hope for the future? Is such an education really available to everyone?

Basis for the Best Education

As surprising as it may seem, we can confidently answer yes, that a quality education is available to all. This is because a powerful educational tool exists that can provide a basis for it. It is a time-honored "textbook" that is available, in whole or in part, in more than 2,200 languages of the world. Essentially everyone on earth has access to it in a language that he or she can understand. What book is this? It is the Bible, a book that has been widely acclaimed as the most important book ever written. "Everyone who has a thorough knowledge of the Bible may truly be called educated," wrote the early 20th-century scholar William Lyon Phelps. "No other learning or culture, no matter how extensive or elegant, can . . . form a proper substitute."

The Bible is a collection of books written over a period of some 1,600 years. Of this important library of books, Phelps added: "Our ideas, our wisdom, our philosophy, our literature, our art, our ideals, come more from the Bible than from all other books put together. . . . I believe a knowledge of the Bible without a college course is more valuable than a college course without the Bible." Today a phenomenal, Bible-based educational work is being carried out worldwide by the Christian community of Jehovah's Witnesses. Such education goes beyond the basics of reading and writing. It provides mental and moral development. In a positive way, it affects people's outlook on the future, offering the basis for valid hope that what lies ahead will be far better than what lies behind. Please learn about this education-for-life program by reading the following article.

Yes, those are the words of William Lyon Phelps. Here they are again. This time the full quote, in order...

"I thoroughly believe in a university education for both men and women', said Dr. William Lyon Phelps of Yale University, 'but I believe a knowledge of the Bible without a college course is more valuable than a college course without the Bible. Every one who has a thorough knowledge of the Bible may truly be called educated, and no other learning or culture, no matter how extensive or elegant, can form a proper substitute.' " (Encyclopedia of Sermon Illustrations)

I found it interesting that the first sentence was left out of the article. Just one little sentence adds so much more to the story. I just decided to Google the quote to see if it was accurate on a whim. No wonder the internet is considered dangerous by certain Religious leaders.

Just sharing. It's not earth shattering, but I found it very interesting.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Not earth-shattering, but soooo typical.

• smiddy
    smiddy

It`s not the first time nor will it be the last time they cherry pick their quotes

smiddy

• Ticker
    Ticker

They do it with the proof texts from the Bible to support unbiblical doctrine and they do it with secular qoutes. Selective snip out half sentances to try and change the overall context. They did this with Dr. J.R. Mantey to support their John 1:1 translation and he refuted them with a letter of rebuttal when he found out he was misquoted out of context.

It's blatant dishonesty in journalism but thats how they choose to manipulate their members thinking. Very sad and unfortunate for them, God would never condone twisting words to mislead people in fact he condemned it.

Good eye in catching this DD

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

(Encyclopedia of Sermon Illustrations)

So, did they cite the reference, or otherwise make it clear that the quote was from a sermon, rather than an academic opinion?

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

dishonesty in journalism

If they are journalists, I'm the King of Mars.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Nice find.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Whenever there is (..............) in the quote, one can be sure that it's there because they don't want you to read the words in it's place. The missing words at times can alter the meaning of the sentence. Always worth investigating! Nice find DD.

• wasblind
    wasblind

The Bible is a substitute for higher Education ???????

LOL,Tell that mess to a brain surgeon , just before you go under the knife

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey Torn, I use to include (.......) whenever I didn't want to type the whole thing

but I would always include the source so folks could look it up it for themselves

Maybe I should do more cut and paste

Some folks thought I was doin' the same thing, so I stopped. If they hada

looked up the source that I freely gave they would have seen there was no difference

in the meanin'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit