Satan encourages association with Watch Tower and confirms accuracy of teaching

by wannabefree 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

A man who was neglecting association with the "brethren" because he became involved with spiritism wrote a letter which was published in the May 1, 1912 issue of The Watch Tower ...

"I was very nearly trapped beyond hope of regaining freedom, in one
    of Satan's most successful devices, viz., Spiritism. I was induced
    to purchase a "ouija" board, "just for amusement"; but
    I dare say that that "amusement" almost cost me my "crown."
    I spent all my spare time in operating the "board," and
    became so skilled in its manipulation that it would perform
    rather difficult feats with the least solicitation. ... I can easily see that Satan, the chief operator of all "ouija" and planchette boards, was only trying with all his might to get me more firmly into his clutches. My good morals were
    not entirely destroyed, however, and the adversary, knowing
    this, advised me not to neglect my brethren or my Bible. I
    then asked whether the Dawns are a correct interpretation
    of God's Word. To this the reply came, "Yes; the Dawns are
    correct, not only in doctrine, but in chronology as well." I
    then asked by what power the board was operated. It answered,
    "By evil, spirit power." It further confessed to me
    that the spirits who operate the board have no other mission
    than to hinder all of the Lord's people. It further stated that
    tbey took "special delight in buffeting, hindering and endeavoring
    to ensnare Brother Russell and his co-laborers at the Bethel Home".
    - The Watch Tower May 1, 1912 pg 5024

... There you have it. Satan confirmed that Studies in the Scriptures were accurate in doctrine, chronology, and encouraged this person to associate with the brethren and read the Bible.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I dare say that that "amusement" almost cost me my "crown."
    I spent all my spare time in operating the "board," and
    became so skilled in its manipulation that it would perform
    rather difficult feats with the least solicitation.

A Ouja board or "yes yes" board is a only a game. No free demon with each purchase.

He became skilled in it's manipulation. True, it is the user of the board pushing the planchette using idiometer not a demon

Penn and Teller : http://www.scienceofscams.com/factoids-ouija.php

Derren Brown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cma5Zn7xrWU

• Amelia Ashton
  • Amelia Ashton
  • unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

lol thats crazey funny because in reality i would think the demons would have known that what was in those books was dead wrong, so why not encourage it, i guess thats why when the demnons helped greber translate his bible also put "a god" at john 1:1

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

omg thats hilarious....

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

That is a gem!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Something interesting here for anyone who wants to dig further. . .

The writer of the above letter is (supposedly) a Harry W. Davidge of NJ, which for some reason piqued my interest. Google returned this result from a Bible Students site:

"AN INTERESTING LETTER

MY DEAR BRETHREN:--

Since entering the Colporteur work I have not worked more than two ten-hour days at the most, this being due to having but Saturday afternoons and holidays for this purpose. During this time I sold 73 volumes--17 on the Fourth of July morning, when I even parted with my sample book. I expected to be out all day on the 4th, but hereafter when I go out to spend a whole day I shall see to it that I have my wheel better loaded. One week later I took another day for the work, but was rather disappointed by rain. However, it cleared off by noon and allowed me to take another missionary trip. In that afternoon I sold 18 volumes.

This, dear brethren, is the grandest privilege I ever enjoyed. I rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory, and can say with the Psalmist, "Praise the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me praise his holy name." May we all hold fast that which we have already that no one take our crown is my earnest prayer for all. Cannot say more at present, but with deepest and tenderest Christian love, I remain.

Yours in the Lord's vineyard,

HARRY W. DAVIDGE,--New Jersey."

It seems this Mr. Davidge from New Jersey might have been the "Andre" of his time!

• tiki
    tiki

quaint...so sincere...we know so little in reality...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

This reminds me of a JW urban legend I used to hear, sometimes even from the platform...

A down-on-his-luck guy was wandering around some unnamed city being tormented by demonic voices, etc., and was anxiously going from church to church in an effort to find relief from the phenomenon, with no success. Desperate, he finally walks into a Kingdom Hall, and the torment and disembodied voices end, convincing him that JWs have God's backing and protection.

The very last time I heard that story - in a social setting, mind you - I commented that that story had always sounded iffy to me.

When asked why, I replied (still a believer at the time), "the demons are supposed to try and undermine our faith, right? If I were a demon, I'd have stopped pestering the guy after he entered the "wrong" church..."

You should have seen the looks I got.

BTW, I was never counseled or "marked" for the comment (the logic was too sound, maybe?), but more importantly, I never heard that particular urban legend repeated again. One of my friends, however, told me that I scared her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit