Huh, strange change.

by Slidin Fast 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dmouse
    dmouse

At our CAs in Dudley, UK, we were expected to remain seated and reserve clapping until the end. Which we all respectfully did.

A couple of years after leaving, I accompanied my still JW wife to my last ever CA and I was shocked by the behaviour of some of the brothers/sisters. Instead of the usual respectful silence there was a general hubub of chatting and walking around.

The brother who gave the baptism talk had to come out MID-BAPTISM and announce (tell us off!) how serious the baptism was and to please respect the occasion by remaing quiet and seated.

Such a shocking change of attitude in just a few short years.

• BroMac
    BroMac

i can confirm that this is new direction for this service year here in the UK.

it has caused a mild surprise from the rank and file here simply because forever it has always been respectful observers. going back to the days when full meals were cooked for lunch on site, all the kitchen would come and stand at the back like it was holy event or something.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Thanks BroMac, I have to say that the respectful observance seems more in keeping with the dignity of the event than this new anarchy. I just find it difficult to see how the change is justified. Can you imagine a church service in which anything similar happened. I was in Moscow, in 1990 I think, when several thousand were baptised. The event took hours and to their credit the crowd applauded throughout to the point of hand pain, they were trying to convey love and support. Yes it was misplaced but you can't fault the camaraderie. The stuffed shirts tried to start the PM session but the brothers refused to stop clapping. The session was delayed, happy days.

I was pleased to see so few baptised and inwardly groaned at what they are doing but I still feel it should be shown respect.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The baptisms I have attended here in Canada were done over lunch and everyone was allowed to break off to do their thing. We clapped as the candidates filed off to seal their fate. Family and friends gathered around the tank to take pictures.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    zeb - "...the actual baptism is a sideline to the talk from the platform..."

Damn.

Hadn't realized that, but in retrospect, it makes a lot of sense.

Good catch.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I remember one circuit assembly we had where a sister who had fallen away years past

was finally gettin' baptised. She was a relative of the sister who

studied wit' me

We were standin' round takin' pics of the baptism. Everybody close to this sister

was cryin' . I wasn't close to this sister, But scince everybody else was cryin'

I didn't wanna feel left out

I made the ugliest face I could trynna cry, didn't nothin' come out

all I did was scare the hell out of the baby next to me

• Gayle
    Gayle

Maybe baptisms just aren't the big deal anymore. Numbers getting smaller,,and mostly more of the kiddies getting baptized. Probably, getting embarrassing to an organization boasting big time growth,,haha.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember a time where all had to sit and watch....then a few years later we no longer had to but keep the noise down and not walk between picture takers and baptizees. That was over 11 years ago. (US)

• BroMac
    BroMac

anyone noticed how they only let 1 into the pool but still have 2 dunkers. used to be 2 dunkings at the same time but then there would be 20-30 at CA's, now it's typically around 5-6. 4 Teen born ins and 1 or 2 100yr olds who have more clothes on than before they got changed.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

"The usual gruesome fodder was dispensed until the baptism'...I lol'd at this!!!Thanks!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit