God gave them up to disgraceful sexual appetites - What does the bible REALLY teach?

by irondork 116 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sseveninches
    sseveninches

There's a lot of ignorance in this thread. First of all, I've stopped believing in the bible, so I don't care if homosexuality is condemned or not, but I certainly appreciate irondork's posts... I've been saving every one of them.

'The gay lifestyle is a lot more promiscuous and depraved'... this is a very tired argument and couldn't be further from the truth. The amount of sex that goes on in your typical straight guy's world is about the same for a typical gay guy. This argument just attempts to associate the entire gay community with one subset. Also, being gay is only as much of a lifestyle as being straight is. It's just a sexual orientation... one facet of one's life.

'Effeminate, in your face, etc.' - also another tired argument. My parents don't know I'm gay, and all my friends do. I don't act any differently with my friends than I do with my parents. And yet my parents don't have a clue. Many other people that I know don't know I'm gay. So much for the 'in your face' part. I'm not effeminate either... not because I don't want to be, but it's just not the way I naturally am. How many people do you interact with everyday? Do you know which ones are gay and which aren't? You don't, but you probably have an idea... most likely based on stereotypes created by ignorant people like yourselves. And I bet those whom you think are gay aren't gay at all. I say this from experience.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

sseveninches:

I'm not effeminate either

People often confuse the two concepts of sexual orientation and gender role self-identification.

• WTDeserter
    WTDeserter

"even the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another"

The passage in Romans implies that homosexuals used to be heteros, or at least bissexual.

If I look at this subject without fanatism, I have to admit that there are some people, who are simply 'programmed' differently. I mean, I personally never found any man sexually intersting, in fact I have difficulty identifying which man the ladies would find good looking. So I assume that people who are attracted to their own sex must be wired differently. I believe it is not a choice they made, that is how they function. So if that is the case, then why should they suffer etternal judgement as Sodom and Gomorrah did. Simply does not make sense!

• irondork
    irondork

Unstopable, I read and reread every word in your last two posts and I cannot find a single thing that I disagree with. However, although not stated outright (in your last two posts), I know that your conclusion of the scriptural recap you offered is a blanket disapproval of homosexuality. For example, I’m sure you have concluded that this:

…again he let them do what they wanted what was in their hearts that was unnatural

means that God let people chose to turn gay. And I’m sure you have concluded that this:

…I think it’s clear from context that god does not approve of any of these things and condemns those who do…

means that God disapproves of people turning gay.

Although I agree completely with your statements, I disagree with what I believe to be your conclusions.

In my opinion, you are disregarding the details provided in the passage, details that tell us EXACTLY what is being said, for the purpose of arriving at a broad condemnation of homosexuality in general, when in fact, that is not what the context shows. Please go over the entire context one more time, slowly.

I’ll use your same Revised Standard Version for this final verse:

Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men.

This is not saying that people who were once straight became gay. This is saying that these particular idol worshiping straight people, in the process of engaging in idol worship, were engaging in same-sex sexual activity in violation of their own sexual orientation – to say nothing of violating what they knew to be proper worship of God.

THIS is what the unnatural behavior of their hearts was and THIS is what God disapproved of. The above passage is not a blanket statement of disapproval of gays and lesbians or the natural relationships that they may have with one another. It is a profound statement of disapproval aimed at those who turned their hearts and minds away from God and knowingly engaged in idol worship that included same-sex sex rites.

I can't emphasise this enough. Please go back and slowly reread the entire passage and get the sense of the context in which Paul is making this last statement in Romans 1:26,27.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    This is not saying that people who were once straight became gay. This is saying that these particular idol worshiping straight people, in the process of engaging in idol worship, were engaging in same-sex sexual activity in violation of their own sexual orientation – to say nothing of violating what they knew to be proper worship of God.

Yes. Horrible that they engaged in 'idolatry'. They should have gone back to beating their slaves (so long as they don't die) and marrying their rape victims (so long as they were virgins). Just like Moses commanded. What a wonderful standard of morality.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Did [God institute marriage]? Do you have any proof that story is true? Do you have any proof that a god even exists?

I have evidence that God exists, but not proof. God’s very nature precludes Him from providing proof, and there are good reasons for that. If He provided proof, all those on Earth who comprehended it would be bound to do His will or stand condemned to suffer perdition. This would also negate our free agency to a great extent. How? Many today, even if they knew for certain without any shadow, or doubt, of the verity of God, His justice, wisdom and love, they still would refuse to follow Him for whatever reason. Perhaps it would be a misunderstanding such as the ones you guys are making. Or maybe a person just might not want to live a religious life. At any rate, He keeps enough doubt in the mix so that all men do not condemn themselves to the extent that there is no way back into His good graces.

It's not part of marriage according to the definition you've chosen. Homosexuality among many animal species — including humans — is obviously ‘natural.’

Not based on human physiology. None of the parts fit where they’re supposed to. As far as animal species, they suffer some of the same mental and emotional disorders of man. Pedophilia and homosexuality are both unnatural mental disorders, and both very difficult to control, granted.

Nowhere in scripture is slavery condemned, either. Do you eat shellfish? Do you wear poly-cotton? Do you observe the Sabbath? Despite the typical cherry-picking for the odd 'nice' thing in the Bible, overall the Bible is a terrible source for human morality.

I couldn’t agree more. In some cases, human bondage can be an incredibly fair and equitable way of paying off debts without going to a debtor’s prison. What’s not fair is to let people out of their financial obligations while leaving the one holding the debt holding nothing. The Mosaic Law maintained a very fair form of indentured servitude in lieu of payment of debt, either to the one you owed money to or to another person, as the details were worked out before a judge. Debt owers also had their debts forgiven every seventh year, and it was against God’s Law to deny money to someone just because a debt forgiveness holiday was coming up. Crop owners had to leave some of their crops in the field so they could be gleaned by the poor, and even people with date trees were forbidden to cover them to protect them from birds. The entire Law was a masterpiece of Justice.

You're clearly a bigot, so why would the discreet homosexuals reveal anything about their sexuality to you? So of course your experience with homosexuals is going to be largely restricted to the ‘flamboyant’ ones.

I’m no bigot, I’m biased. A bigot greatly prefers his own kind of political, social, religious and financial peers, and this is certainly not the case with me. I’ve had good friends who are homosexual and, like I said, it’s not my place to judge them. And based on my personal beliefs, gleaned not only from the scriptures but in reading numerous near death experiences, everyone has issues they have to work through in this life. I also believe we all had premortal lives in the spirit, and that we came into mortality with these issues. (As difficult as it may seem; as difficult as it may be to believe, I, too, have issues I struggle with each day.) I have no desire to interfere with anyone’s lifestyle or sexual proclivities, but the scriptures mean what they say, and endless rationalizations change nothing. The Hebrew scriptures and traditions are steeped in history, and historians and theologians know beyond a doubt what the views of the scriptures were, and that homosexuality was not condoned in any way, shape or form. Jesus not only didn’t change these views, but His apostles iterated the ancient commandments against homosexuality.

The Lord has promised that despite our challenges in this life, “all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good.” So whether homosexuality, pedophilia and other predilections are genetic or something more remains a mystery. From a social sense, it may be acceptable. You decide. But the scriptures are clear on the matter, and that it’s now suddenly ambiguous is just another reason we need men who can speak authoritatively for God.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I really don't know why gay people even bother wih Christianity lol

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I really don't know why gay people even bother wih Christianity

What do you mean by this? Gay people "bother" with Christianity for the same reason non-gay people do...because it's true. It offers salvation to both Jew and Gentile, bond and free, male and female. Christianity is either true or it's not. If not, then no one should bother with it.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Of course it's not true, at least no more true than Islam, or Judaism or Hinduism or Buddhism.

Anyway leaving that aside for a moment - for gay people it goes against what they know to be their nature. I'm with you actually, it is anti-homosexual like most of the other dogmatic religions in the world. I would hope gay people would see the conflict between an ancient book and its rules and their innate nature, then trust their own feelings and not waste their time trying to reconcile themselves to it.

Your manner and attitude is another great advert for avoiding it.

• irondork
    irondork

GromitSK: Your manner and attitude is another great advert for avoiding it.

Oh, people like Cold Steel are expected. In fact, they are expected in large numbers. But, rather than be intimidated by men, God’s ture servants realize it is not the traditions and creeds of uninspired men, but the bible that contains the standard for discerning what is true. (Yes, I took that last sentence right out of a Watchtower )

CS's attitude, his "great advert" is exactly what the apostle warned us of when he spoke of Satan being an "angel of light, followed by, "It is therefore nothing great if his ministers also keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness." (2 Corinthian 11:15) The true sourse of CS's information is easily detected in the amount of hate and anger and the spit and venom with which he peddles his version of Christianity. Again, not surprising.

It's like watching a congregation of JWs. They hold the bible, read it and talk about it, quote it and use it in their ministry, they claim that it is at the center of their worship, their entire lives. Yet when you scratch the surface, you find the deceit, hypocricy, anger, twisted teachings, inhumanity, cruelty, lack of love, the list goes on.

All you have to do is keep your eye out for those qualities, the same qualities that come shining through on Cold Steel's posts, and you will be able to identify the REAL sourse of the message. It does not heal, it does not sooth, it does not give honor to God or draw people close to him... rather, it crushes, causes harm, drives people away from God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit