New letter RE public witnessing.. omg they are setting up stands!!!

by BigE 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• clarity
    clarity

OMG

Maybe someone will sic their dog on them!

>

I was going to say "now I've seen it all"... but have I?

OMG!

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

This is a good thing! They will not be able to escape without looking like wimps if they are confronted by someone who knows what this org. truly is. As for not engaging apostates in conversation, how will they be able to tell the difference between an apostate or someone who has researched the organization or who just happens to know more about scripture than they do. Ran into a few of those when I used to go "door knocking". I hope they start this where I live. My best friend who was never a JW would tear them a new one. LOL Leslie

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I agree that this makes them sitting targets for "apostates". It would be interesting to watch them pack up and scurry away like roaches when someone confronts them with their pedophile scandals.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

They did it at the Public Authority Bus Terminal in NY for most of my life. Neither Grand Central nor Penn Station had stands. I saw a stand in the suburbam transit station in Philadelphia. Both in NY and Philadelpiha, I wanted to talk to the Witnesses about the latest literature. Perhaps purchase a single WT. They are always so deep in conversation with each other that they do not see people lining up to talk with them.

I teared up when I saw them in Philly. They were so poor yet well scrubbed. I find it hard to hate individuals.

When I lived in NY and they came to my door, I always asked for the tenant who let them in. I explained it was private property and their First Amednment rights ended at the main door. Next, I calmly announced I was calling the local precinct and told them where it was located so they would have an idea of the response time. It spooked them.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I think this is great. Go for it.

I know folks who do this in the city and are regularly bothered by "apostates." It puts them in a rough spot trying to defend nonsense in public.

As much as door-to-door is inert and worthless, this is the perfect opportunity to wake some people up.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I passed by tables set up in both Port Authority Terminal and Grand Central in NYC this past summer. In Grand Central, they always had the same spot in the subway tunnels with a table in the long corridor between the Shuttle train and the main 4/5/6/7 area. I almost never saw anyone talking to them. There were usually 2-4 witnesses there chit chatting with each other, with no attempt to get anyone's attention passing by. Not that it probably would have mattered; NY commuters are used to ignoring unwanted attention seekers. I thought to myself that it seemed like a pretty easy way to count time. I think they went in the corridor because it would have been even more undignifed to set up shop in the main Grand Central subway hub among the people singing, break dancing and playing the flute or whatever for change. I never bothered trying to talk to them, but maybe sometime I will.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I have seen them at a "free speech zone" table set up in the National Park visitor's center. I think that's an accommodation to concentrate all the proselytizing in one place, thus preserving peace and quiet elsewhere in the park.

• Room 215
    Room 215

I can see they're opening themselves up to a whole host of unintended consequences....

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

NYers are so used to religious crazies. I can recall Christian Scientists and Hare Krishnas. Also, the live music in the subway or street performers are much more interesting. I wonder if all religions will now set up booths. In all my Port Authority years (not years that I relish), I never saw any protracted conversation. I felt a bit sad for them. There were so many books in so many languages that it must have taken a long time to set up. If I ever go back to the WTS, I want the Grand Central gig.

Why are they announcing this as something new? They were in Port Authority in the 1950s-now.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

well it is a publishing company.

even if it is pretty much tracts and watchtowers.

what an easy way to count time though.....

Could be fun to stand nearby with ones own anti JW literature, i wonder if they would complain and try to make you go away?

Oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit