How Science has advanced since the Victorian Era...

by ziddina 71 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

Did you know there are grains of rice with much bigger genomes than humans? Who would have thought it?

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Good news, Brizzzy!

I heard that the dinosaurs can be resurrected, since their bones have been fossilized and not cremated.

• cofty
    cofty

All you need is a baby tooth apparently

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Did you know there are grains of rice with much bigger genomes than humans? Who would have thought it?

Well to be fair, when I said that mapping the human genome was bigger, HUGE, I was just being metaphorical!

I mean, geez, Cofty, give a goil a break. I thought guys liked when women found tiny things huge!

• cofty
    cofty

I thought guys liked when women found tiny things huge!

haha - Fair comment. The rice thing just goes to show it not size that matters. No grain of rice ever mapped its own genome.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

Good news, Brizzzy!

I heard that the dinosaurs can be resurrected, since their bones have been fossilized and not cremated.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

What? Primates our ancestors?

u crazy

• jgnat
    jgnat

I like this thread.

What I find so cool about the human genome project was the exponential speed by which the mapping was completed. The project leaders in 1990 had not anticipated advances in computation.

A Victorian false start:

Phrenology

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

A Victorian false start:

Phrenology

Ah yes, the idea that feeling the bumps on your head could tell scientists something about your personality.

• cofty
    cofty

Some of the early pioneers of technology like Marconi, Alexander Graham Bell and John Logie Baird went off on tangents about telepathy and remote viewing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit