Source?

• solomon
    solomon

shepherd the flock book page 59 paragraph 4

• Richard_I
    Richard_I

"Chapter 5 - Determining Whether a Judicial Committee Should Be Formed

Offenses Requiring Judicial Decisions

4. Attempted suicide may be the result of deep despair major depression. Deal carefully and compassionately with such a person. In most a judicial hearing is not required.-Ps. 88:3, 17J 18; Provo 15:13; Eccl. 7:7; w90 3/1 pp. 5-9; 3/15 pp. 26-30; g90 9/8 pp. 22-23; w83 8/1 pp. 3-11."

Doesn't say anything about being DF'ed over it, that would be kind of stupid if it was the case, reminds me of how around Shakespeare's time, if you got caught committing suicide, you would be stopped, put on trial, and sentenced... to death.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

In most a judicial hearing is not required

Ok, what would require a judicial hearing?

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

After being detained in hospital for a week after my attempt I was completely left alone by everyone in my congregation apart from an elder's wife who dutifully called round once a week and prayed with me.

My pills were given to my worldly non English speaking neighbours to administer.

Any identifying marks of true christianity were as invisible to me as Christ was in 1914 to the rest of the world!

• solomon
    solomon

A judicial committee can be formed for attempted suicide according to the flock book. The outcome of a jc is either reproof or disfellowship based upon repentance. So I guess if you were unrepentant about trying to kill yourself they could df you.

talk about kicking you when you are down

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

What a good idea! Separate the suicidal person from his/her support network. Brilliant!

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

The congregation were told to "leave her alone as she has gone off the rails a bit"

They did me a favour in the end though because if I had felt their love I would have convinced myself it was the troof.

The most hurtful thing they did during this period though was to invite my daughter to a wedding at the KH but not me.

It was also during this time our elders had been temporarily replaced by 2 from a neighbouring island and the wife of one of these new elders took my daughter to buy her an outfit for the wedding and also picked her up and dropped her off each time for meetings but with instructions for her to go to the end of the block each time so I never actually saw her and when I said to Emma to invite her in for coffee she was always too busy.

If this was done to make me feel isolated and lonely and miss them so much it would encourage me to go back it failed as it had the exact opposite effect. It hurt and I knew I couldn't get inside the KH without pills and beer with the entire meeting was spent crying so it made me dwell on all the negative things I had seen, heard and experienced by the org and it's members.

Their lack of love is what freed me.

• freshstart
    freshstart

This happened to someone I know. She overdosed on pills, and was found in the woods behind her house, nearly dead. Someone had called the cops when they couldn't find her. She was taken by ambulance to the hospital and she survived. A few weeks later she was disfellowshipped. There was a suicide note saying that she felt she could never live up to Jehovah's standards, etc etc. So instead of helping this poor woman, they kicked her out. A damn shame. A friend that I grew up with, went all the way through high school with, ended up blowing his brains out a few weeks after his baptism. His suicide note made it clear that he felt he wasn't good enough for Jehovah. Let me tell you, I wasn't the same after that. He had been asking for help for a while, and his requests were ignored as a whole. People didn't pay any attention until they found his dead body. God, even recalling that makes me so angry and so sad for him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit