Requalifying as an Elder

by alfredjones100 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Ding
    Ding

How would you do it?

Any minor deviation from the WT line is seen as heresy and apostasy, and if you don't deviate in any significant way, what good will you do?

I know several elders and presiding overseers who tried to wake their congregations up and got DFd for their trouble.

If you want to try it, go ahead, but don't get your hopes too high and be willing to suffer the consequences.

• Borges
    Borges

Very often I think about the damage I've done as an elder.

Once I was part of a JC (in Ecuador). We held trial over a young sister. Her husband left her and she didn't know where he went. She had two small kids and it was very diffucult (nearly impossible) to sustain herself and her children. But she met a man who was willing to provide for her and the kids. But she couldn't be divorced because nobody knew where the husband was. So she lived togehter with this man without beeing married. In the first meeting we told her, that she has to leave the guy, otherwise we have to df her. We gave her two weeks. In the second meeting she was sitting in front of us crying, because she saw herself unable to finish the relationship with this man, because of the kids and the economic hardship she would suffer by leaving this man. We dfed her and she left the hall crying and broken.

We were assholes. No more and no less.

You really like to join that club again?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Help them by walking away, living and not looking back.

You will not change the religion, trying to get a position and using it to cause division in the congregation will just make you the evil apostate.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Baalam -

Some FBI agents did it in the past..
    Oooooh.......tell me more............

Have you heard the name "Donnie Brasco?" http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/06/0610_050610_tv_mafia.html

Going as an undercover Pharise in the Synagoge won't be the easiest thing.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I know that I am thankful for those here who are elders still. They are a valueable resource. Their reach and influence goes far beyond wherever they may be locally.

There are a few things to consider. (I have had several thoughts myself along those lines)

• Can you live with you giving a talk, and essentially and indirectly giving the credit to "the organization".
    • Is your goal to effect anyone in particular?
    • Would you be able to keep your personal integrity, while also having to do things you do not like? I know it is hard for me to keep mu mouth shut as it is, and I am just a once upon a time MS.
    • How far are you willing to go in order to effect change?
    • Will you be putting yourself up to fail eventually?

I have thought about somethig similar, but with a very young child, I feel my only priority is him.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I still guilty about sitting on JC's and giving talks on things I didn't believe. You will probably do more harm than good, one elder can NOT make a difference.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Blind-no more and Punk of nice.

I only heard of two cases. One in the Silicon Valley was over 30 years ago. The agent did his "thing" and didn't find any "anti-american" activities. Most of that stuff ended with Watergate aftermath w/ Ford and Carter. But he did get appointed an ELDER !! Guess "Holy Spirit" was asleep. THAT was hushed up by WTBTS..very embarrasing.

• minimus
    minimus

Historically, it cannot work. That is a fact. Plus didn't Christ say something about reusing rotted out trees or wineskins, vessels? I forget exactly the scriptures but you can't make something good if it's turned rotten.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Hey Alfred...if you were ever an elder it should be clear to you that there is no way in hell you would be able to teach something different than what the WTS instructs you to...From word to word manuscripts at the conventions to public talk outlines...everything is controled and at any sign of non conformity other elders will be quick to call you out. As elders you are taught to trade off your personal opinion for what is written in the WT magazine.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I agree that it would be impossible to be an elder again and teach something different than what the GB says. If anything, by teaching the "real truth", whould lead to df as an apostate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit