TELL US, please, are you Pre or Post--Enlightenment in your thinking?

by Terry 17 Replies latest social current

• Terry
    Terry

Before the Age of Enlightenment the earth was filled with many nations living under vastly differing beliefs about the world.

Tribes, nations and empires possessed fanciful superstitious beliefs about their own importance in the Big Picture.

Religion helped man find a place among fearful gods and demons. Faith and Belief, ritual and performance duties, helped man allay fears by

becoming active in appeasing the Gods and shunning the evil spirits.

Judaism allowed adherents a means of ridding themselves of sin (animal sacrifice) and accounting for wrongs (Justice via Law).

Christianity removed animal sacrifice and substituted fealty to the Church (Catholic). The Mass, Saints, prayers, processions and such

plugged the individual into a HUGE ENTERPRISE (Church) that worked to keep humanity safe in God's eyes.

Protestantism wrested away the Unified Obedience to monlithic structure (Catholic Church) and placed in the individual believer's own responsibility.

Luther substituted SOLA SCRIPTURA (the Bible Alone!) for the Church's Magesterium (Tradition and Infallible pronouncement).

But a huge wave of powerful NEW THOUGHTS were washing up in affairs of humanity which could not be helf back by retreat into superstition or ritual observance: RATIONAL ENLIGHTENMENT.

It began with empircal proof (telescope) that man (on Earth) was not the center of a God-constructed universe.

Galileo, Johannes Kepler, Ptolemy, Newton struck down Medieval fancies with thunderous effectiveness.

The invention of the printing press allowed circulation of individual ideas of a challenging nature.

A rebirth (Renaissance) of LEARNING, literacy and free will was wiping away fear and dependancy on Institutions of Scripture and Authority.

Isaac Newton's laws of Physics, Charles Darwin's demonstrations of gradual change in plant and animal life all struck at the core of once IRONCLAD TRUE BELIEF in what the Church and Scripture had claimed was literal TRUTH.

Abandoning superstition for rational education became the passage from Pre-Enlightenment to Post-Enlightenment.

Religions were in turmoil and society coped as best it could.

CONSTANT RE-INTERPRETATION of old belief into Modernity created a Fundamentalist core vs Agnostic Humanist separation in social structure.

Church and State were divided.

Free Will and personal interpretation made claims either tested and rejected or fought against by old world theists.

The New World was peopled by Puritans, Pilgrims and various fanatics seeking to demonstrate their Utopian perfections to the world.

As Kings were toppled and the Rights of Man gained sway, religion no longer CONTROLLED THE WORLD (the Western World, that is).

Islam remained Old World and Pre-Enlightenment. Judasm split into REFORM vs Chasidim.

But--where do YOU come in to all this?

Which are you?

Pre-Enlightenment: dependant on scripture, church and Authority?

Post-Enlightenment: testing everything with practical curiousity?

The Old vs the New has manifest itself in many ways.

Fundamentalists dig in and retrench and make war upon New thoughts by first labeling it as diabolical and secondly by reinterpreting their old belief in new ways.

Evolution is characterized as Darwinism and Creation "Science" is substituted as though it embraces actual science and scriptural authority.

Fundamentalists started Bible colleges for the purpose of teaching wave after wave of youths Biblical Inerrancy to combat the modernizing destructiveness of Textual Criticism and Higher Criticism. (Identifying errors in text on the one hand and historical discrepencies as well as errors of fact on the other.)

Inerrancy, King James Only, Evangelical movements retreat into the darkness of Medieval beliefs AS THOUGH merely declaring old ways as TRUE can staunch the tide of scientific proof to the contrary).

Other strategies recognize the plasticity of religious stories as semi-myths and scripture as man-telling-stories-for-moral-enlightenment. Liberal churches concentrate less on literalism and memorization and more on Social improvements and "Spirtual" development as a generic virtue.

There is a vast spectrum between OLD ........................................................and........................................................NEW.

My question today is largely this: WHERE ARE YOU on that vast GRAY SCALE?

How much of your thinking is rooted in supernatural power? How much Spirituality do you possess which is dependant on Ancient Texts inspired by invisible spirit?

How much logic and rational examination can you engage in without lapsing into fear you are dangerously ignoring the invisible realm of God?

Is religious thinking dominant or passive in your world of the mind?

Do you still pray imagining a listening ear? Do you interpret occurances in the world as "signs" of biblical significance?

How invested are you in clinging to either God, Bible, ritual or spiritual contexts to get you through your Hard Times?

Tell us....please.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

i would love to have a beer or 10 with you

• mindseye
    mindseye

Howabout neither? I suppose I would fall on the more 'liberal' end of your scale. The Enlightenment brought many good things, but a shadow as well. No need to disregard the intellect for the spiritual/Being, or vice-versa. Unfortunately, Western thought often falls into this dualism. My suggestion for wayfarers is to read some existentialism for a critical stance towards 'post-Enlightenment thinking' (Sartre, Heidegger, Camus) ... then it might be a good idea to venture Eastward ...

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I would say that I lean toward a post-enlightenment mentality. I am an INTJ type. I am curious and I like to follow logic as best I can. At this point I am not convinced that the beginning of life was not set in motion by a Creator. I now understand what people mean by evolution and see no reason why life could not have been designed to evolve. I also believe that a God who is the epitome of love will understand if I make mistakes in a world that He allows to exist. I am also a bit of a fatalist even though that seems illogical. If I am destined to die, so be it. If our Creator is all powerful and wants me gone then there isn't a damn thing I can do about it.

In the meantime I want to continue to learn from others and help anyone I can in a practical way whenever possible. So thats where I am. I guess it's not too bad considering I was raised knowing the only " truth ". I no longer stress out worrying about appeasing anyone. I just do my best. Like I said if God wants me dead so be it. If He knows my world view has been skewed by hypocrisy then I would expect some leniency if God is the epitome of love.

• designs
    designs

Post Enlightenment. One book on science that was fascinating concerned the Telescope and the brother and sister team in the late 1700s that saw 'deep space' for the first time, everything changed after that.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Post.

• JeffT
    JeffT

My question today is largely this: WHERE ARE YOU on that vast GRAY SCALE?

I think your chances of getting an honest answer to this question on a public forum are almost nonexistent. Either that or we're all above average here.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Sometimes I feel like the last two years of my life have been the Enlightenment on crack.

• Terry
    Terry

Lied2nomore: i would love to have a beer or 10 with you

I think I may be more of a 4 to 5 beer maximum kind of guy, but, if I eat first I can rev on up to 6!

Drop in sometime and we'll go to the Horny Toad (which use to be a biker bar) which is owned and operated by women. The bartender is an EX JW!

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

Ha ha sounds good, BTW I'm definitely post enlightenment I have passed the stage where my thoughts and feelings about WT have turned to rage and not a single drop of guilt or hesitancy about whether I'm right or wrong. The only thing nagging me these days is the arguments in my head trying to devise the perfect way to awaken someone. Mine was helped by extreme grief due to loss of a family member just over a year ago. So it's true an episode of distress can wake you from mind control. It certainly did with me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit